Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 838331 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1755 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:51 am »

I'm not exactly sure what you plan to do here.  Liquid flows down Glowing Pits as easily as empty space.  More to the point, any attempt to flood hell without walling the sides would just cause the water/magma to flow out the side of the map

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1756 on: April 16, 2012, 04:35:01 am »

I'm not exactly sure what you plan to do here.  Liquid flows down Glowing Pits as easily as empty space.  More to the point, any attempt to flood hell without walling the sides would just cause the water/magma to flow out the side of the map

Grumble. Forgot about that. My idea was to flood magma down there, then flood it with water, so the edges of the pits would turn to obsidian. I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to work before,but that clenches it sadly :-/. As I'm a newcomer here, I'm in no position to say how DG should end, but I like the idea of flooding the place ...

One oddity though with Deathgate. In the game I started flooding hell with magma by breachinga bunch of walls in the left piller and removing the floor,  demons stopped spanning. There's only two, and its been like that way for three ingame months ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 16, 2012, 04:51:55 am »

That'll happen.  I don't think all of Hell is visible in Deathgate, so most likely there's an unseen spawnpoint where the demons are sitting on the edge of the map and then leaving.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1758 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:53 am »

That'll happen.  I don't think all of Hell is visible in Deathgate, so most likely there's an unseen spawnpoint where the demons are sitting on the edge of the map and then leaving.

Huh, think Bay12 ate my response. I'm pretty sure that's the case. At least I have an idea what I'm going to do on my turn. It involves hell,  soap, and water (eventually) ...

EDIT: I discovered one of the brooks (on Z-110, towards middle left) is frozen into ice. In midsummer.

How did that happen?

SECOND EDIT: I'm wondering if the lack of migrants is due to hell being breached.  Swordthunders stopped getting migrants after it breached hell if memory serves, and I wonder if the same happening to Deathgate. The hauler shortage however shouldn't be a problem for too much longer. One child is ten on the latest save, three are nine, and all the others are 8. So in four more turns, we should have 12 more haulers ...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:13:11 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 16, 2012, 05:30:41 pm »

I think my Dorf might be dead by now, statistically anyway. Can I get a redorf? Military profession, please.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:21 pm »

Huh, think Bay12 ate my response. I'm pretty sure that's the case. At least I have an idea what I'm going to do on my turn. It involves hell,  soap, and water (eventually) ...

EDIT: I discovered one of the brooks (on Z-110, towards middle left) is frozen into ice. In midsummer.

How did that happen?

SECOND EDIT: I'm wondering if the lack of migrants is due to hell being breached.  Swordthunders stopped getting migrants after it breached hell if memory serves, and I wonder if the same happening to Deathgate. The hauler shortage however shouldn't be a problem for too much longer. One child is ten on the latest save, three are nine, and all the others are 8. So in four more turns, we should have 12 more haulers ...

Swordthunders stopped getting migrants because i drove the dwarf civilization to extinction via demons and construction mishaps.  I did get migrants after the hell breach and so has Deathgate.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:19 am »

I think my Dorf might be dead by now, statistically anyway. Can I get a redorf? Military profession, please.
Alrighty, so I've had altogether less time to play than I had hoped this weekend. That said, I should be able to churn stuff out mid-week. In the meantime, I did a couple of quick checks. Firstly, yes, Eoganachta has died somehow somewhere. Do you have any preferences on weapon? We have everything except swords and maces.

Secondly, I did a quick check, and the starting civ is still listed, albeit still without leaders. I don't know if that means anything, but at least it's still referenced. If worst comes to worst, I can do a check after my turn to see if it's still around.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:05 pm »

Could I get Dorfed please?
Name: Thaddeus
Job Name: Patron Saint of Lost Causes
Profession either a Doktor or soldier please
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1763 on: April 17, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »

Alrighty, so I've had altogether less time to play than I had hoped this weekend. That said, I should be able to churn stuff out mid-week. In the meantime, I did a couple of quick checks. Firstly, yes, Eoganachta has died somehow somewhere. Do you have any preferences on weapon? We have everything except swords and maces.

Secondly, I did a quick check, and the starting civ is still listed, albeit still without leaders. I don't know if that means anything, but at least it's still referenced. If worst comes to worst, I can do a check after my turn to see if it's still around.

Searching on the forums, that suggests they went extinct, though Legends said they sent a caravan as late as last year. I abandoned and went around the world as an adventure, and all the forts I checked were abandoned though I didn't make it to the Basement of Murder mountain home. Interesting, Deathgate shows up as a Mountianhome (you can also see this in Fortress mode on the stocks screen in the corner. As far as I can tell, the fort never even ended up a barony. If we're the last standing fort though, I think we auto-become a mountianhome though ...

Legends mode is pretty interesting. During worldgen, all the megabeasts/demons died out, and the world entered the Twilight Age.

For those unfamiliar with ages: "The Twilight Age was a time when fantastic creatures no longer lived in great numbers". The wiki says that civilizations are there are no wars, but no civilization has the resources to expand.

After a few hundred years of that, the world progressed into the "Age of Fairy Tales".

Toady One's devlog sums it up pretty well
"I finally saw a world arrive at the Age of Fairy Tales, which happens if mundane creatures (ie humans) make up at least 90% of the world's civilized population with the requirement that there are still a few fantasy creatures lurking around. In this case, it was a kobold cave that their scouts never found. I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen."

The Age of Fairy Tales was a time when fantastic creatures were few and far between, and some even doubted their existence

I've a bit confused on how groups work in Legends mode, but there are a *ton* of mountian homes listed, some with only one entry  followed by "an attempt was made to reclaim" or something like that.

I also found the battle where the elfs were finally eliminated ...

Quote from: The War
The Crazy War was waged by The Confederation of Exalting on The Berry of Gazes.  The most significant cause of the conflict was a dispute over
 the devouring of the bodies of sapient beings.

In the midsummer of 194, Xakednoloc, "The Steamy Battles" occurred.
 In the midautumn of 194, Adicgencesh, "The Fierce Onslaught" occurred.
 In the midautumn of 194, The Destruction of Rakedroot occurred.
 In the midsummer of 195, Lasodgencesh, "The Routed Onslaught" occurred.
 In the midsummer of 195, The Destruction of Swampsplattered occurred.
 In the early spring of 216, Noloc Istro, "The Battles of Burning" occurred.

Quote from: Last Battle
Noloc Istro, "The Battles of Burning"

A: 525, mostly humans, 215 losses
 D: 23 elves, 4 grizzly bears, 23 losses
 Attacker was victorious. 

The elves did not go quietly into the night ...

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:29 pm »

The Crazy War was waged by The Confederation of Exalting on The Berry of Gazes.  The most significant cause of the conflict was a dispute over

Attacker was victorious. 

Well I'll be damned!  Those damn devil-worshiping humans actually did something worthwhile.  The elves though... that's a pretty badass last stand. 

I checked through the Legends back when we started Deathgate.  Pretty much everything was gone except for Deathgate, Goblins, the Humans.  Our civilization was "technically" active, but we were the only settlement far as I could tell.  I find it somewhat odd though, since if the mountainhome fell before Deathgate's founding, then I would've thought that the worldgen would've rejected the world.  Regardless, when Deathgate falls, the dwarves fall with it.

It's gonna be one hell of a party when it goes.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1765 on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »

Attacker was victorious. 

Well I'll be damned!  Those damn devil-worshiping humans actually did something worthwhile.  The elves though... that's a pretty badass last stand. 

I checked through the Legends back when we started Deathgate.  Pretty much everything was gone except for Deathgate, Goblins, the Humans.  Our civilization was "technically" active, but we were the only settlement far as I could tell.  I find it somewhat odd though, since if the mountainhome fell before Deathgate's founding, then I would've thought that the worldgen would've rejected the world.  Regardless, when Deathgate falls, the dwarves fall with it.

It's gonna be one hell of a party when it goes.

The entire history is pretty much paved in blood. I've never seen a worldgen on anything larger than pocket end up in Twilight or Fairy Tales. The dwarfs themselves brought an end to both to "The Age of Hydra and Marsh Titan", and "The Marsh-titan age". As the last megabeast died, the world collasped into the Twilight Age until they managed to breed themselves up to the point Fairy-Tales triggered.

Seems even the goblins are pretty close to self-destruction. I don't think we've been sieged in ages looking back ...

EDIT: Goblins aren't QUITE dead, but they're down to one last leader. Suspect they've probably got one or two more seiges and they'll go poof too.

EDIT 2: There were other fortresses. They all migrated to us when we became a mountianhome, which looked like it happened shortly before hell was breached. I suspect what probably happened is the king migrated as a peasant at some point. If I can find an old enough save, I suspect we'll find whoever was the leader of the Basement of Murder is in a coffin somewhere.

In adventurer mode, its just empty fort after empty fort, and I couldn't get an adventurer high enough to even get in the frontdoor of Deathgate (it even started to lag which I've never seen in A mode before ...).

Reading through legends has actually inspired an idea for an ending that would be very befitting for Deathgate.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:27:08 pm by NCommander »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 17, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »

What, Deathgate having participated in the end of all civilization? Of course!
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:01 am »

My previous dorfs had addy swords but an axe would be fine. :)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 18, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

AnimaRytak, I assume you missed the post a few pages back, can I have a second turn as Overseer?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:53 am »

I find this silence disturbing.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 175