Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837101 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1770 on: April 22, 2012, 02:48:49 am »

Sorry. I was going to get in a few hours on friday, but then lab decided to be dumb. I'll probably get some stuff done tomorrow and have a post ready by monday.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1771 on: April 23, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »

As a sidenote, my laptop committed suidice (blew its charger) over the weekend. I have DF on the desktop, so I should still be able to take my turn, but it might be a bit slower until I can fix the laptop (I need to drive to PDX or Hillsboro to buy a new charger; probably Tuesday or Wednesday).

As a sidenote, are there any objections if I have a sidestory about the world of Deathgate in A mode after I finish my turn? (if nothing else, it could provide plot fodder to future overseers).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Tourist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 23, 2012, 03:49:30 pm »

First time poster here! Was linked over to this from the TV Tropes DF page and read through the entire thread over the last few days. Amazing stuff, I love it! Sadly between looking for a new job and my desktop being dead (I'm using a netbook) I'm in no position to play DF myself, so I'm living vicariously through everyone here. A few comments/questions though:

A. So basically all other dwarf civs in the world have fallen, right? Where are the immigrants coming from? Refugees? Itinerant wanderers and adventurers? If the fort lasts long enough, will there eventually be no more immigrants?

B. Dwarf civs gone, Elves gone, Goblins diminished...How healthy is that human civ? Any chance of outlasting them and being the last civilization remaining in all the world?

C. Win conditions proposal: Wall/ceiling off the glowing pits in hell, and block out wherever the demons are spawning from so that they either can't get onto the map or if they spawn on-map, they do so right into a crossbow/ballista murderzone. Give 'em an eviction notice!

Last of all, a request: can I be dorfed in?

Name: Tourist
Job Name: Soldier/Test subject
Profession: Soldier (crossbow, axe, spear, whatever's most convenient)

I'm honestly not picky about what my dorf ends up actually doing- miner, mason, hell I'll be happy running a still in the Hellbunker. All I ask is the chance to die well- to die doing something absurd or ridiculous, or as a test subject for some ludicrous doomsday machine or the efficiency of an adamantine-spear danger room or something. Every dwarf in Deathgate is going to die, I just want mine to be the kind of death that makes others go, "Huh, well...That was interesting." Please?  ;D
This space for rent.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1773 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »

First time poster here! Was linked over to this from the TV Tropes DF page and read through the entire thread over the last few days. Amazing stuff, I love it! Sadly between looking for a new job and my desktop being dead (I'm using a netbook) I'm in no position to play DF myself, so I'm living vicariously through everyone here. A few comments/questions though:

A. So basically all other dwarf civs in the world have fallen, right? Where are the immigrants coming from? Refugees? Itinerant wanderers and adventurers? If the fort lasts long enough, will there eventually be no more immigrants?

B. Dwarf civs gone, Elves gone, Goblins diminished...How healthy is that human civ? Any chance of outlasting them and being the last civilization remaining in all the world?

C. Win conditions proposal: Wall/ceiling off the glowing pits in hell, and block out wherever the demons are spawning from so that they either can't get onto the map or if they spawn on-map, they do so right into a crossbow/ballista murderzone. Give 'em an eviction notice!

Last of all, a request: can I be dorfed in?

Name: Tourist
Job Name: Soldier/Test subject
Profession: Soldier (crossbow, axe, spear, whatever's most convenient)

I'm honestly not picky about what my dorf ends up actually doing- miner, mason, hell I'll be happy running a still in the Hellbunker. All I ask is the chance to die well- to die doing something absurd or ridiculous, or as a test subject for some ludicrous doomsday machine or the efficiency of an adamantine-spear danger room or something. Every dwarf in Deathgate is going to die, I just want mine to be the kind of death that makes others go, "Huh, well...That was interesting." Please?  ;D

Welcome to Deathgate. We don't bite. Much ... kinda ... eh ... make sure your insurance is paid up

A. It was discussed pretty heavily in the last few pages. As it stands, the world is in the age of fairy tales, having hauled themselves out of the twilight age. I ran through the world in Adv mode, and every fortress was empty, nor could I find another dwarf. Fortress mode does not respect extinction properly, but we became a mountianhome without getting a monarch, so we're pretty much it w.r.t to the dwarfs. As it stands, elves died in worldgen, I suspect the goblins are almost close to kaput as well (I got seiged in a test save, but its become somewhat of a rarity). Its been several ingame years since we last saw a migrant. When Deathgate goes, the dwarfs will be completely extinct (caverns are seemingly made of thin air).

B. Humans are the dominate species, and are pretty healthy, they've got a lot of large towns and such. Biggest issue with them is they have a demon as their leader due to worldgen. Despite the efforts of several overseers, we've yet to piss them off into seiging them despite claiming something like 20 cavarns throughout the life of the fort.

C. It can (in theory) be done, and has been done in other games. However, we're *really* short on workforce; 40-ish dwarfs, plus 13 children as of 776. In addition, the military been annihilation like five times, so except for the marksdwarf squad patrolling the Hellbunker, we're pretty spent on dwarfs. Unless someone can trigger a dorfexplosion with loads of partying and babies (and even then, 12 years have to pass to make them usable). This isn't counting the fatalities from failed moods, insane overseers, etc. While flooding the circus would be awesome, I don't think it would still be a fitting ending. (I have ideas on how Deathgate could be ended fitting and properly, and I'll build towards that during my turn, but its for the remaining overseers to decide if they wish to continue it).

At least at the moment, everyone was fine or better when I checked with Therapist, so we're not close to a tantrum spiral.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »

You couldn't do C with just 40 dwarves.  Attrition would kill you before the first wall was half-finished.

And everyone being fine doesn't stop a tantrum spiral.  All you need is for that ONE dwarf who's friends with everyone to fall victim to !!FUN!! and suddenly everyone sends him off with a Dwarven Wake in the dining hall.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1775 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:57 pm »

You couldn't do C with just 40 dwarves.  Attrition would kill you before the first wall was half-finished.

And everyone being fine doesn't stop a tantrum spiral.  All you need is for that ONE dwarf who's friends with everyone to fall victim to !!FUN!! and suddenly everyone sends him off with a Dwarven Wake in the dining hall.

Yeah, without migrants, there's no real way to bottle hell back up. Even with migrants, I don't think it could be done in a single turn (making enough blocks, hauling them down to the bunker, plus plugging up the pits/making several levels of walls, etc). Without plugging up the pits/building the walls, flooding hell impossible.

The reality of it is that the clowns will always be there. I've never successfully setup a proper spiral in one of my personal forts (even when I tried). Guess having a ton of legendary dining rooms balanced out the unhappy :-/. That being said, I doubt that's how DG will go out.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:04 pm »

Welcome to Deathgate. We don't bite. Much ... kinda ... eh ... make sure your insurance is paid up

And your rabies shots...

Oh and, there's something on the ground that'll make you blister from head to toe.  Watch your step.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1777 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »

I've mostly decided what my turn will involve at this point. I think if we can do some crosstraining on the military, it should help buff them so they're less likely to die on a siege or demon ambush into the bunker. I'll probably setup a gym or similar on my turn (no danger room of course)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »

It seems like "Guys, I'm going to fix the military" followed by "Guys I accidentally our entire military" is the new "What the F%*$ is WRONG WITH THIS PLACE."
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 26, 2012, 02:55:14 pm »

It seems like "Guys, I'm going to fix the military" followed by "Guys I accidentally our entire military" is the new "What the F%*$ is WRONG WITH THIS PLACE."

I find the best plan is to simply ignore the military, and wall up the fort, and clean house for a year. Then go "Hey, nobody died! Go me!" Then hand it off to the next poor bastard.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 27, 2012, 01:13:06 am »

I tried that!

Except the little gremlin on my shoulder said "Hey, you could do something really cool and build a duck-dispenser."

Turns out, opening any kind of hole in the wall is a bad idea when dwarves are involved. I forgot that their attraction to dead men's socks was stronger than their fear of blistering demonic death.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 27, 2012, 01:38:02 am »

Are there still demons in the courtyard/large area of the Hell Base? I'm starting to feel like I gave the demons a new playground than actually conquering their home.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1782 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

Are there still demons in the courtyard/large area of the Hell Base? I'm starting to feel like I gave the demons a new playground than actually conquering their home.

scaliper said he managed to reclaim the Hellbunker. Here's waiting for more updates :-).

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 29, 2012, 01:47:22 am »

honestly, reading the new DF Talk, we could just set Deathgate II in an evil biome and call it a day. Good god.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 29, 2012, 02:02:15 am »

honestly, reading the new DF Talk, we could just set Deathgate II in an evil biome and call it a day. Good god.

Let's not and say we did.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 175