Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832732 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1860 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

So where do I fall on the turn list? Am I next, or is there someone between me and NCommander?

Sorry, missed your post asking for a second turn, Diablo bender.  I'll update the first post.

I fully understand. If I had money, I'd probably be on a diablo bender myself.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »

So where do I fall on the turn list? Am I next, or is there someone between me and NCommander?

Sorry, missed your post asking for a second turn, Diablo bender.  I'll update the first post.

And what of my turn? I've got time now that it's summer break over here.
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 22, 2012, 11:16:41 pm »

And what of my turn? I've got time now that it's summer break over here.

I'm hesitant to re-add you to the list.  Every time your turn has come up, you have missed it entirely.   
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1863 on: May 23, 2012, 03:42:54 am »

As a note, this weekend (and the last two days) were somewhat of a bust trying to play Deathgate with the fort running a glacier 7 FPS on my laptop (I screwed something unrelated up, I'll probably use the desktop as its somewhat faster tomorrow to finish Spring). Its still "playable", but I've only gotten a month and a half in.

While my laptop is struggling ATM, I did manage to take decent screenshots of the fort in Stonesense so the tour will get written up with my next update (likely tomorrow). I also have updates covering my actions in DG up to this point; been somewhat quiet, but that doesn't mean you can't make your own excitement.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 24, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »

We need to get someone who has access to, like, a university supercomputer or something, to run this beast through a few dozen years so we can get our population back up.

hehe, that'd be awesome.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:01 pm »

We need to get someone who has access to, like, a university supercomputer or something, to run this beast through a few dozen years so we can get our population back up.

hehe, that'd be awesome.
I have access to one but I can't install the dependencies needed to run Dwarf Fortress on it and it has a lower individual clock speed (200+ core 3.0 GHz) than my desktop computer (HT quad core 3.4 GHz).
Since Dwarf Fortress is single threaded it would run faster on my desktop than the supercomputer which is intended to run very multi-threaded (10 - 200+) processes.
I would also have to play it in text mode over ssh (no dfhack, no Dwarf Therapist) since I am not setup to use the graphical terminal at the college.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 24, 2012, 05:11:12 pm »

Another great FPS lowering plan defeated  :'(

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 24, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »

Why not drop the save on a machine, get things set up as smoothly as possible, and let it run. Sure, it might take a week, or two, or three, but with seasonal backups it should be doable.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 24, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

Why not drop the save on a machine, get things set up as smoothly as possible, and let it run. Sure, it might take a week, or two, or three, but with seasonal backups it should be doable.

That's kind of my plan for the fort, except with less inactivity and more ignoring all unnecessary things and dumping crap directly into magma.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:44 pm »

I managed to get the frame rate up in the past via murder.  Mostly of turkey and goats with a few hundred cats.  Doing this to our animal population will speed things up tremendously.

Also, atom smashers for stone will be useful.  There are tons and tons of stone boulders throughout the fort and destroying them will clear them from memory, speeding things up.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:14 am »

Nooo! Our army of darkduckness must live (or at least turn all of them loose in HELL!)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:24 am »

I managed to get the frame rate up in the past via murder.  Mostly of turkey and goats with a few hundred cats.  Doing this to our animal population will speed things up tremendously.

Also, atom smashers for stone will be useful.  There are tons and tons of stone boulders throughout the fort and destroying them will clear them from memory, speeding things up.

You could probably get a few more frames per second by straight-up murdering the nesting room stuffed full of animals in the upper fortress area.  It's the one somewhere near the main entrance, give-or-take a z-level

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 25, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »

You could probably get a few more frames per second by straight-up murdering the nesting room stuffed full of animals in the upper fortress area.  It's the one somewhere near the main entrance, give-or-take a z-level

Yeah, murder always seems to be the answer, doesn't it? I made a note of that room when I downloaded an earlier save. I'm going to butcher all but one breeding pair of every animal on the fort, as well as make some drastic alterations to the architecture that, if I'm right, should boost us by at least 10 FPS.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »

I'm going to butcher all but one breeding pair of every animal on the fort, as well as make some drastic alterations to the architecture that, if I'm right, should boost us by at least 10 FPS.
I hope you ment every animal besides ducks.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »

You better leave the ducks alone. If you want to do something with them, pull the lever and do a deploy from the DUCKOTRON.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 175