Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 838106 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #810 on: September 28, 2011, 03:12:43 pm »

I have decided that precise dates do not match my particular idiom. I therefore shall keep monthly logs instead of daily, so that all Dwarfkind can experience my great accomplishments in my idiom!

Anyway!
Sandstone, 766:
The first order of business is that a large number of peons have seemingly taken after this "Templar" person, whatever that's supposed to be. I spent some time in court working through these name changes. They're probably not drinking enough booze or something...

Also, due to the complete and total insanity of the main entrance, I have decided to delve out a new, easier-to-operate entrance near the temple. The plan is to have a large number of weapon-traps and cage-traps, followed by a two-shot reloadable cavein trap, followed by more weapon-traps and cage-traps, followed by a ballista battery. Unfortunately, it is late enough in my reign that I think I shall not finish it. I had every intention of sticking with it, but dear Armok these lousy ingrates are enough to drive even the strongest mad after but a short time. In addition, I have begun the digging of the southeastern adamantine tube. Again, I doubt I will finish, especially what with the assassin bug demons around(i.e. I don't particularly relish the idea of building the long channel to connect the two), but in the future, I hope that it will become a magmaduct so that we have what we need for metal production in Hell. In addition, the north-western spire has two options: If we are lucky, there may be a single path down it straight from the surface. It would take a lot of planning and ingenuity, but we might be able to set up a small strawberry farm on the surface of Hell. Just to taunt them. Conversely, it also falls directly under a vast body of water, so we could also use it as a water source to bring fresh water to the bunker for to heal the sick and wash things up. It *might* be possible to do both, but discovering whether this is possible would require digging out the entirety of the spire, which cannot take precedence over my other projects. I shall mark the related area that may be able to channel to the surface on a map at the end of my log.

Finally, the caravan from the mountainhomes arrived. A sign of the end of autumn, and the last portion of my rule. Oh! And one of the blacksmiths went into a fey mood. Probably going to waste another adamantine wafer. Lousy ingrate...

Winter 766:
Moonstone:
Well, the blacksmith got to work. With an adamantine wafer. I swear, that really gets to me...

And he created an anvil. An adamantine anvil. Stupid git. Ah well, at least it's marginally useful. As an aside, this would be perfect to make a magma forge out of in Hell if a magmaduct gets going. We'll have few enough engravings down there that we'll want as many high-quality buildings as we can get to cheer people up. Also, I bought some cheese from the merchants. Just, you know, because cheese is good.

I have also ordered the creation of a new extension to the bunker. I dare not open the ground floor, what with all the demons, but none of them appear to be able to fly, so I'm creating a two-layer extension above the ground layer for the production of foodstuffs.

At the very end of the month, another forgotten beast managed to find its way into Hell. I am extremely curious how they're doing this. Anyway, it was a winged lobster with a poisonous sting. And it was announced by the lookouts within a relatively short distance of the construction project. Fortunately, I had stationed the entire military at the opening, and the forgotten beast did not last very long. In the end, it had killed no dwarves, injured no dwarves, and had its head cut off. Yay efficient, well-equipped military!

Opal - Obsidian(These months were fairly quiet, really, so I made them into a single entry):
The cooking area has been finished, and the stations set up. There is a quern, a still, a kitchen, and a farmer's workshop. It is entirely boxed in, and the ceiling has been walled around and the barracks expanded to include it. Further, we have reached a population of 200 dwarves, with the birth of two babies, one of each gender. Also, the cave-in portion of the new entrance is almost complete. The dig for the ballista area has not even started. I shall have to leave guidance for my successor. These obnoxious sods have just frustrated me so much...
I have armed myself with the named spear and a full set of adamantine armor. I shall take to a life of relative solitude, leading a small band of speardwarves. I shall train until I obtain skill enough to be sung of for centuries to come, and then I shall lead my band to destroy the forces of Hell! And that includes those sodding, demon-worshipping humans!

Alrighty...It wasn't a particularly "exciting" turn in terms of external things happening. We got a large number of forgotten beasts, but they weren't too bad. No casualties, at least. I'm still kind of psyched about farming in Hell. I did some searches, and we're definitely the first fortress recorded doing so. The bunker has been expanded to...probably a bit under double its size...I'm going to just guess at about 150-166%. It's slowly getting the trappings needed for a full colony. The military is currently housed there, and food production has begun. As I said, there may be a possibility of setting up and aquaduct and magmaduct for the powering and cleaning of the colony.

My next post will be a compendium of pictures(as one was requested), and the square that it might be possible to connect to the surface with will be pointed out. I'll also include a couple of "plans" for how to get the new entrance ready for action. The save will be at the end of that.

Finally, I figured a list of important hotkeys would be in order:
F1: Original entrance
F2: Center of fortress proper, immediately next to control rooms
F4: Fortress proper production facilities
F5: Base of the Temple
F8: The Deathgate logo
S+F4: Ground floor of the Hell Bunker
S+F5: New quarters created for highest-ranking noble available
S+F6: Southeastern Adamantine spire
S+F7: The to-be new entrance

Pictures in a few minutes!
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 28, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

Don't forget F3 for the main farms.

Also,
TONIGHT, WE DINE-

Wait, I'll restrain myself.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 28, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

Alrighty, a top-down view of Deathgate. A number of layers were skipped due to not having anything interesting(Warning: LOTS of pictures)

E: UGH! I have to get to a class. I'll post the rest later tonight(i.e. around 11)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:41:38 pm by scaliper »
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:01 pm »

Wooohooo.

We made it into the Hall of Legends.
Time to party.

I got the doom burgers.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 28, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

I have a challenge for Hell-Conquering Deathgate!

Take 10-20 random dorfs and seal them away from society, and train them HARD to become ultimate fighters. Give them what they need but they should be completely severed from normal life. Nothing but combat training. If some die during training, no problem. Even if only one legend is born, it's alright. They cannot be used for military until the training is complete, and you should use captured monsters for training purposes. Can you do it?
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 28, 2011, 08:22:26 pm »

Take 10-20 random dorfs and seal them away from society, and train them HARD to become ultimate fighters. Give them what they need but they should be completely severed from normal life.

Isn't that just a normal life in Deathgate?

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »

Figured that, seeing as two posts have been made, I'll finish up here.

A few quick things...
Firstly, in setting up the military, I took them all off of "training." I did this due to the fact that I have read that, since they actually train in their spare time, dwarves train faster when not on training duty. If this is the case, I highly recommend keeping it this way. As well, DO NOT give the soldiers jobs. We have enough idlers, and it would be a much better idea to keep the soldiers training.

As an aside, a little bit about the entrance. I set up two cave-in traps that can be deployed in sequence A, B. The premise is that the area below gets a bunch of enemies, and you pull lever A. Then it gets full again and you pull lever B. You can then rebuild the floors after the siege/ambush/whatever is gone. That said, one of the floors is not yet finished. Here's a rundown of the two areas and the new control room:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save is here. It's in a compressed folder, and should be set up to run Phoebus off of the Lazy Newb Pack. Good luck to those after me!

Also, sign me up for another turn at some point! =D

E: PS: On your list of to-be-dorfed people, I'm pretty sure everyone after and including der has been dorfed in accordance with their wishes.

EE: Note: Those levers above are not actually linked up yet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:50:51 pm by scaliper »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 29, 2011, 01:35:04 am »

Very good work.  I was a bit worried that Deathgate was stalling since we had numerous bumps before my third turn.  Glad to see the old gal is still ready to slug it out.

Although I am a bit surprised though.  All things considered, Deathgate is remarkably sturdy for a bloodline game.  Perhaps I should've genned the world with more beasts and more evil.
Well whatever ends up killing the old gal, it's gonna be epic.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:09 am »

I've downloaded the fort and I'm beyond words at the place. I just want to share a few thoughts.
The sheer madness of you guys has confused even the ASCII. I'm having trouble following the staircases because there are so many twisting tunnels of ramps half-started bits of work that the mind boggles. There are dwarven bodies outside the walls, inside the walls, and some even paving the narrow and cramped road to Hell and back! I'm finding pits in places that shouldn't have them. One plummets several stories and ends right on top of a kitchen (efficiency?) I followed one staircase and found a flooded room filled with rough stone. I moved up a z level and saw that it was a throne room. I think AnimaRytak had a hand in this... It is currently being inhabited by a jeweller and a ghost of one Rith Cattenikal.
I am sad to see the BATTERY overgrown but I cannot figure out how to restart it (I may have to reread some of the earlier posts). Whoever designed the goblin pitting room in the sub-fortress did not want to retrieve the dozens of iron masks that now rest at the bottom of a undrainable magma pool.
There is also a skeleton of a badger boar in the sub-fortress furniture stockpile. The mind wanders when it wonders how an wild badger managed to break through Deathgate’s defences and breach the last stronghold before Hell itself only to be slaughtered atop a +microcline weapon rack+. (I now see that there is an animal stockpile a few stories above it so that can now be explained sufficiently through Hanlon's Razor and administrative error).
 I have also found a pit with a pitting desination that leads straight to 2/7 high magma. Am I right to guess that this is the resting place of so many of Deathgate’s pets? And the place seems to be haunted, and rightly so. I must also applause AnimaRytak for his work on the Temple besides the now floored over volcano; I suspect the pillars at each of the four corners would have been frightfully difficult.
It seems that Deathgate has become just another suburb of Hell with its own flavour of denizens. This succession fort is awesome and deserves its place in the Hall of Legends alongside Boatmurdered!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:14 am »

I downloaded the save and spent some time getting acquainted with the fort.  That dining room is worthy of song.

I'll start playing tomorrow.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 29, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

*Cracks up laughing* We have ANOTHER entrance, now?  That's, what, number three?  At this rate, Deathgate is going to be like swiss cheese, except the holes are filled with traps and troll remains. xD

How's my dorf doin', by the way?
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »

I've downloaded the fort and I'm beyond words at the place. I just want to share a few thoughts.
The sheer madness of you guys has confused even the ASCII. I'm having trouble following the staircases because there are so many twisting tunnels of ramps half-started bits of work that the mind boggles. There are dwarven bodies outside the walls, inside the walls, and some even paving the narrow and cramped road to Hell and back! I'm finding pits in places that shouldn't have them. One plummets several stories and ends right on top of a kitchen (efficiency?) I followed one staircase and found a flooded room filled with rough stone. I moved up a z level and saw that it was a throne room. I think AnimaRytak had a hand in this... It is currently being inhabited by a jeweller and a ghost of one Rith Cattenikal.
I am sad to see the BATTERY overgrown but I cannot figure out how to restart it (I may have to reread some of the earlier posts). Whoever designed the goblin pitting room in the sub-fortress did not want to retrieve the dozens of iron masks that now rest at the bottom of a undrainable magma pool.
There is also a skeleton of a badger boar in the sub-fortress furniture stockpile. The mind wanders when it wonders how an wild badger managed to break through Deathgate’s defences and breach the last stronghold before Hell itself only to be slaughtered atop a +microcline weapon rack+. (I now see that there is an animal stockpile a few stories above it so that can now be explained sufficiently through Hanlon's Razor and administrative error).
 I have also found a pit with a pitting desination that leads straight to 2/7 high magma. Am I right to guess that this is the resting place of so many of Deathgate’s pets? And the place seems to be haunted, and rightly so. I must also applause AnimaRytak for his work on the Temple besides the now floored over volcano; I suspect the pillars at each of the four corners would have been frightfully difficult.
It seems that Deathgate has become just another suburb of Hell with its own flavour of denizens. This succession fort is awesome and deserves its place in the Hall of Legends alongside Boatmurdered!

The tunnel leading to the Kitchen was an air shaft, since I had a miasma problem during my turn.
And yes, that 2/7 magma pit is the where I kicked all those filthy smelly poor innocent animals. 
The pillars were actually quite easy, just time consuming.
Also, the badger didn't breach us, we captured him and stored him down there.  I tried to trade him to the elves but alas, he got free and got slaughtered.  We should probably install a kennel at some point.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »

*Cracks up laughing* We have ANOTHER entrance, now?  That's, what, number three?  At this rate, Deathgate is going to be like swiss cheese, except the holes are filled with traps and troll remains. xD

How's my dorf doin', by the way?

To be fair, it's two overly convoluted entrances and one simple entrance ;)

Plus, more trap-filled entrances are, if designed correctly, more places for enemies to die at. If the defenses of one are breached, you aren't forced to stay holed up until your enemy just decides to bugger off. If you can figure out the levers, of course...

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 30, 2011, 06:28:17 am »

If I ever get another turn, (not that I really want one right now though, just dreaming of stuff) I would like to do a megaproject where I would cover the surface world in a sea of lava (with walls at the edges to prevent magma loss).
The entire dwarf population will live safe beneath the ground while everything else will roast on the surface.
The hilly nature of the landscape might make things a bit trickier, but with enough miners and masons, it shouldn't be too hard.

It would almost be as if the world were to be flipped upside down with hell at the top and civilization at the bottom.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:43:33 am by noodle0117 »

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 30, 2011, 07:52:18 am »

If I ever get another turn, (not that I really want one right now though, just dreaming of stuff) I would like to do a megaproject where I would cover the surface world in a sea of lava (with walls at the edges to prevent magma loss).
The entire dwarf population will live safe beneath the ground while everything else will roast on the surface.
The hilly nature of the landscape might make things a bit trickier, but with enough miners and masons, it shouldn't be too hard.

It would almost be as if the world were to be flipped upside down with hell at the top and civilization at the bottom.

Oohh, that gives me an idea!  We can install a network of massive stack pumps to the surface from the magma sea, and hook them all up to a set of levers.  When invaders arrive, we just trip the right lever and voila!  Instant volcano!  It's like having a magma kill-sat, only upside down!
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 175