Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 835554 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:52 pm »

The remainder of Spring passed uneventfully.

Except for the arrival of 23 migrants, a goblin ambush, and 3 (possibly 4) snatchers. And one or two other things.

-------

On the 24th of Slate, 24 migrants and assorted animals arrived at Deathgate, the largest wave to date. They were led by Ast Tosedudil, a master hunter, and also brought with them a high master mechanic and a high master metalcrafter, and accomplished butchers and tanners (well, one of each). After some initial confusion, and some prodding from Irony, AnimaRytak managed to assign each of them to appropriate labours, creating a team of miners, of masons, of engravers, of mechanics, and of planters, as well as assigning certain highly skilled dwarves to other needed professions.

While the immigrants were adjusting to their new surroundings, and complaining of the lack of beds, a great discovery was made:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Many kittens ... died ... to bring us this information.

On the 21st of Felsite, a fisherdwarf spotted a goblin ambush. He didn't last long.

Ast, the leader of the most recent migration wave, managed to stick a swordsgoblin in the spine, but lacked the good sense to run afterwards. Once the fisherdwarf fell, the others turned to Ast, and slaughtered him without pity.

The military finally arrived, and killed the goblins off without further casualties.

Tulon (I need to dwarf someone with this guy...) has the most kills, that I can find anyway:

Meanwhile, four different goblin thieves, including one master thief, attempt to break into the fortress but are driven off.

And thus ends spring.

[I'm going to stop taking screenshots except when something really unique or interesting happens. This is taking too much time for too little gain.]
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »

Microcline, Microcline, Microcline! I'm sick of Microcline! One of the previous overseers put a microcline stockpile next to the masons. I must stop this madness at once.
What? But, but, but, microline is COOL.
I mean it at least makes the levers easier to distinguish.

edit:
How many kills do Tryrar and Blademaster each have?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:53:04 pm by noodle0117 »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 05:17:47 pm »

Microcline, Microcline, Microcline! I'm sick of Microcline! One of the previous overseers put a microcline stockpile next to the masons. I must stop this madness at once.
What? But, but, but, microline is COOL.
I mean it at least makes the levers easier to distinguish.

-_-

edit:
How many kills do Tryrar and Blademaster each have?
None and none, respectively.

Midsummer.

8 new immigrants have arrived, including an accomplished armorsmith. We'll put him right to work.

Wait... what do you mean, "There's no iron"? Where did it all go?

Oh right... training up worthless novice armorsmiths.  ::)

Late Summer.

Humans. Just what we need.

[So ah, war with the humans, right?  ;) ]

AnimaRytak was taking his sweet time, and I didn't want those demon-loving humans sitting around inside our gates any longer. A dwarf named Atis Steamygate volunteered to take his place in the negotiations, and I acceded, eager to be rid of them.

He assured me that his skills were at least the equal of his predecessor's.

After a lot of shouting and hollering, he managed to get them to leave. I can see the demon madness in their eyes as they leave, burning hatred for all things living. Somehow Atis has convinced them to leave behind all of their goods. I can't imagine what trinkets he found worth so much to the humans. I hope they didn't take any of the children...

Oh, apparently he didn't give them anything. They offered it all to us, because we were so dwarvenly (according to Atis). I'm not sure I like the implications of that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:20:28 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

AnimaRytak, on your OP post (the one with the succession list), you have my profile linked to my #5th fort update post rather than the fort update post itself.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:04 pm »

Hmm. Almost done with the turn. A number of things happened, I'll give more details in my final post.

A small taste of what's to come:

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »

Tulon (I need to dwarf someone with this guy...) has the most kills, that I can find anyway:

Name him Karakzon.  Fits his request.

Also, did you do a reenactment of "The Core" with kittens?

AnimaRytak, on your OP post (the one with the succession list), you have my profile linked to my #5th fort update post rather than the fort update post itself.

Fixed.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08:49 pm »

I'll take a turn and a dorf.
Johnnydigs-Miner

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »

JohnnyDigs: Legendary +5 Miner

Germayne Idasrer: Legendary Ambusher/High Master Marksdwarf
(We have no marksdwarves squad, though someone should make one before the goblins finish killing off our hunters. Two of four highly-skilled hunters were killed this year.)

Karakzon:

Alkhemia:

I dwarfed you as a Clothier after he became possessed.

I think Narqulie still needs to be dwarfed.

The year is done. The save is here

I'll post a summary of autumn and winter either later tonight or tomorrow.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:13 pm »

Alright.  I'll hold off notifying the next player until you post your summary. 

Frankly I'm a bit scared to see what the goblins have done with the place.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:07 am »

No need, I know I'm up. Downloading the save and checking that I can use it properly right now.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:27 am »

Irony laid her chisel on the workshop table and shook the dust froom her hands. Taking a step back, she admired her handiwork. It was a masterful creation. The statue depicted the removal of AnimaRytak Treepaint from the position of expedition leader. His confused look perfectly captured the pervading atmosphere of the previous year, and not just for AnimaRytak.

-----

It had been going relatively well, until the humans arrived. They must have brought some foul curse with them, for no sooner had they left the gates than things began to fall apart.

It began innocuously. One of the miners ran to me, excitedly informing me that they had breached an expansive cavern, with ample supplies of water, trees, and edible plants. I congratulated them, but left the matter to JohnnyDigs'[1] discretion. I had more pressing concerns.

The BATTEREY was failing.

It must have started during the summer, but no one noticed until the millstones halted in their grooves. Then the mighty wheels would kick back in, churn for a few days, and groan to a halt once more. A quick investigation told me that the water level had fallen dangerously low. How? Was the pump system accelerating evaporation?

No matter, I thought. It is a simple thing to fix. Just start this pump here, and pull that lever over there, wait a little while, and the ungodly racket should be back at full force.

I had just given the order to do so when another miner nearly collided with me. He was on the verge of tears, babbling something about an accident in the mines. After a few minutes, he calmed down enough to speak coherently. Apparently Inod Itonkasben, one of the junior miners, had channeled a staircase out from under his own feet, fallen into the cavern lake, and died. The body was still there, inaccessible under 7 feet of water. Apparently they were friends.

Dodok, Ast, Inod... three had died under my oversight. The thought troubled me. Still, they had died of their own foolishness. Dodok was fishing (fishing!) when the goblins came. Ast... brave, foolish Ast. Inod practically killed himself.

But Inod was not the last.

-----

A few days later, another miner came running up to me. I steeled myself for more death, but he had good news. A second cavern had been discovered, further down. This one was dry as old bones, but enormous. Giant webs stretched from the cavern floor into the darkness above. JohnnyDigs had ordered it walled off until I or a future overseer decided to explore further.

-----

Disaster!

I had completely forgotten about the BATTEREY!

The ceiling was dripping with moisture, and, I pray my eyes deceived me, but I swear there were cracks forming in the north wall. I pulled the water intake lever myself, and sent the order to stop pumping at once. The machine was completely frozen. The seven foot channels were full to the brim with water, and the wheels could not turn. Trembling, I stood there for a long minute, then turned and conscripted eight dwarves to man the pumps. Hopefully I could restart it manually.

-----

Manual pumping failed, of course. The thing was designed by a madman, no sane mind could make it to work. Worse, water was now flooding up and out from the north wall, flooding the entire chamber. One pump operator was nearly killed, four times, after being knocked, four times, into the water channels. Thankfully, he was able to clamber out each time.

A madman had designed it... but I was determined to fix it, if only to spite that authoritarian jerk. I shuffled pump operators around, positioned some on the lower level and some on the upper level, and even tried turning the wheels myself.

Nothing worked.

The entire BATTEREY was coated with mud. The kitchens were beginning to flood.

I had just resigned myself to eating plump helmets while we waited for the excess water to evaporate, when I heard telltale mumbling behind me. Stiffening, I turned. The very devil himself, noodle, stood there, eyes half-mad, muttering to himself. There were... were those scars on his arms? Had he carved designs into his own flesh?

I was about to tell him off, rather sharply, but he didn't say anything. Well, to me anyway. Instead, he sort of... beckoned... with his eyes, and half-stumbled, half-skipped out into the hallway, and around to the backside of the northern wall. He began jumping up and down excitedly, drawing some kind of pattern in the dirt between leaps. I stared at it, uncomprehending.

He scrabbled a pickaxe. He danced back to the well. He poked his head in the water. I swear he laughed with his head submerged. Then he splashed me.

Understanding hit me with the water. Of course! The aquifer!

The miners had just completed a tube from an old aquifer-flooded tunnel to a newly constructed well, and it ran right next to the BATTEREY. We would only have to knock down a few walls and channel out a few feet of stone between the BATTEREY and the water tube to connect them.

The more I considered it, the more I realized what a brilliant idea it was. Aquifers represent a virtually limitless supply of water--and a virtually limitless sink for that same water. Even better, because of the varying density of the containing layers, the movements of the earth, and the fluttering of butterfly wings, the water in an aquifer is always moving. If we connected the aquifer to the BATTEREY, all the excess water my negligence had accumulated would be swallowed up by the aquifer, and then the aquifer itself would help maintain the perfect level of water within the machine. Further, the aquifer itself would create enough flow to keep the wheels moving, making the pumps obsolete! For a moment I considered doing away with the pumps altogether... but then I looked back at Noodle. His brief moment of "sanity" seemed to have passed, and he was back to arguing with himself and scratching meaningless symbols in the dirt. No. I would not destroy this, his last great creation. The pumps shall remain.

-----

One great crisis had past, but more were just around the corner.

Once again a miner met me in the corridor. This time he had two bits of news. The good news, was that JohnnyDigs' team had discovered a third cavern, deep underground, filled with all manner of exotic underground flora (and, undoubtedly, fauna). The bad news... another exploratory shaft had uncovered a twisty passage connecting the second and third cavern layers. The mason sent to wall it off had sealed himself into the cavern. Instead of waiting for rescue, he had marched straight up into the second cavern, mapping the cavern as he went. Miners had been dispatched to rescue him at the top of the cavern, but they were delayed and by the time they reached him, he had died of thirst. They found strange claw marks on his body, and strands of thick, gossamer web.

-----

The year wore on. It felt like 10 years had passed since the BATTEREY's completion. Many things had been accomplished since then.

The first floor of the new dormitories was finished, though it still required doors and furniture.

Two new wells had been installed in the dining hall, and a new food and drink storage room had been excavated beneath it.

The new hospital was up and running, though it still lacked skilled professionals.

A defensible causeway had been completed, granting increased safety from the frequent goblin incursions.

The farms had been expanded, including 3 protected surface plots. The food and drink stores were bursting.

The fort was stable, healthy. But I could no longer direct it. Someone else would have to step in and take over.

-----

These were my thoughts when the last goblin ambush of 753 arrived.

A junior mechanic was caught by surprise, and perished under a hail of arrows.

Soon after a metalcrafter was killed by an arrow to the brain.

The squads, who had sortied out onto the causeway, retreated into the gate when they saw the first few arrows flit past. All except for three.

Karakzon Besmararek Kilrudatesh Tosed, Ingiz Thadinod, and Unib Tileshcerol charged up the mountainside to confront the slayers of their brethren.

The battle was fierce. Unib fell first, his skull bashed in by a goblin mace. Several goblins also succumbed to the dwarven onslaught, but then Ingiz collapsed from the pain of multiple arrows, after striking down two goblins.

Karakzon kept fighting. He killed the last three goblins by himself, then carried his wounded partner back to the hospital.

-----

Three more dead, and one between life and death. I cannot continue. I know not who will lead in my place, but I am stepping down at the end of this month. Let another care for 754.

=====
[1] Head Miner of Deathgate from 753-.

=====

Player's Notes

The main achievement of this turn is the new entryway, the new dormitories (still unfinished), and locating each of the cavern layers. There's also about 1000 prepared food, and 1000 drinks, and a ton of beds, so the next overseer shouldn't have to worry too much about basic necessities.

The military needs better armour. Steel if possible, though it'd require a lot of charcoal. Also... as mentioned earlier, we lost two hunters this year. There are actually three dwarves with decent marksdwarf skill, though one is currently acting as mayor. Someone needs to make them into a marks squad and stop this hunting nonsense. It's getting too many good dwarves killed.

The military... I shuffled their schedules around trying to eliminate the bad thoughts from lengthy patrol duty, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Might want to look into that.

Might also want to trap the causeway. We should be getting sieges soon. Possibly from more than just goblins. >_>

I *think* the caverns have been properly walled off. Don't quote me on it though.

Dig some more big empty stockpile rooms in the soil. Not only will it help avoid clutter, underground soil will now sprout trees, bringing us one step closer to steel production.

I designated an expansion to the magma forges/smelters at the end of winter, but no one got around to digging it yet. It's not very much... try to cover the holes with the dark X's though.

----

Graphics pack is Pheobus's.

Good luck.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4403

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2011, 02:30:26 am »

Karakzon is apparantly the current badass of the fortress.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:45 am »

......so I ran like a coward from that fight? Dangit!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2011, 03:43:01 am »

Overseer's Journal: 1st Granite, 754:

As the previous Overseer has stepped down, obviously guilt ridden, I have chosen to assume the position of leader, at least for the time being. It is... Unorthodox, to say the least. I am not of noble birth. I have no great military command. I'm not even in charge of our forces. However, no objections have been raised. As such, I will leap head first into this duty. Deathgate will not fail by my watch. No sir.

Our defenses, barring stout dwarven arms, are non existent. I plan to get the mechanic's to work, putting together a trap system to thwart the goblin menace. I also have decided that the military's equipment is not up to snuff. We aren't even smelting iron - A problem I've already corrected. In ordinary circumstances, I would call for an import of steel. However... I have been informed that adamantine has been found in the depths. It will make fine armor, and finer blades.

Yes... Short swords. I do love them so.

But I digress. Now that I must perform other duties besides my own, I am looking at the fortress in a new light. Example: I realized just today that we have a skylight. Armok alone knows why. I was also informed, at my ascension to my post as Overseer, that something called The BATTEREY was working properly, and there was no reason to worry. I'd had no knowledge of this 'BATTEREY', and asked the dwarf to show me.

I was speechless for some time. The amount of raw power this device can generate, it simply boggles the mind. It's as if it shouldn't work, but it certainly does. Unfortunately, I am no artificer, so I don't know how this strength can be applied to our defenses. I'll have to think about it.

I will write more once my myriad plans begin to move into effect.

My second community fort, and it seems to me that my own fortress designs are rather.... singular, shall we say? Oh well. I'll mostly be keeping miners to searching for safe adamantine, as well as excavating other metal veins. Other than that, I plan to trap the ever loving hell out of the entrance way. We'll see how thieves like sneaking in then.

Also, my dwarf's fourth finger is broken. Hope that doesn't turn up being important.

Odd side note: I'm using default graphics, but some of the minerals seem to have different symbols here. What the hey?

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2011, 04:04:36 am »

Oh right, that skylight to the farm area was to fix the rampant miasma problem that rotten biscuits were causing.  Although you can probably seal it up safely now.

If your talking about that odd spot in the dining room, somehow the raws have "Show engravings" enabled.  So the tile represents what is engraved.  I don't really know how to fix that atm. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 175