Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832685 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2011, 04:14:46 am »

^^ nice. i have a new found apreciation for maces. wich is essentialy beating things brains in with a rock on a stick.

also you can turn engravings showing off with the d menu manualy i belive. :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2011, 04:38:00 am »

That why we have orphaned engravings? If you wanna hide those, just designate the area with d v, it'll make the room less cluttered. And, no, what I was talking about was the symbols for many, many minerals have changed, and goblins are appearing as accented u's... Not unworkable, just bizarre. I've already designated more engravings, as well as a memorial.

Overseer's Journal: 9th Granite, 754:

My first week as Overseer of Deathgate and things are already attempting to drill themselves straight to hell. Two snatchers. We ran one off, then another showed up, and attacked one of our junior masons. He ran shortly after, and the boy looks okay, but I believe these may be preludes to a larger strike force. I am displeased.

In other news, most of the citizenry does not have proper lodgings yet. A member of the militia is unhappy, partially because of this. I'll have to fix this. The Mayor in particular is making a fuss, demanding a private dining room and a private office. Furniture as well! Such a greedy dwarf. Most dwarves are happy with a bed and a community dining room. Either way, I've commisioned some furniture for the ingrate. Perhaps it will keep him quiet.
Complicating matters is that, for the most part, room sizing is terribly uneven. Some dwarves will recieve 12 square Urist rooms, while others are meant to be content with 4? Regardless, I've begun to assign rooms, for better or worse. I put myself in a four tiler, in an effort to show solidarity with my brothers and sisters of the fortress. It's better than expecting sixty or more dwarves to hotbunk in a six bed dormitory. Well, it was six. I increased that to eleven. Less floor space, but more room to lie down, at least.

To top off this whole fiasco, one of our dead has risen again to haunt the living. I've commissioned a memorial slab, in hopes of putting the poor soul to rest. That our dead remain unhonored this long is heinous. We shall have to dig out a Mausoleum, for those who fall.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:03 am »

Have you deleted or replaced the raws folder in the save? I left phoebus's raws in there, it alters the character assignments.

Oh yes, by the way, there are *no* tombs. I think I commissioned a few coffins... >_>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:16:11 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

The thing was designed by a madman, no sane mind could make it to work.
Not just any madman, a Mad Mechanic!
But I gotta say, nice job on the fort.

When I designed the BATTEREY, I included a shut-off device, but I never got around to testing if it actually worked (and considering my fortress accident prone nature, they're more likely to fail spectacularly than actually functioning like I planned).
But I guess you kept it going, so an adamantium mechanism for you wlerin.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:29 am »

One thing I noticed though, my stockpile optimizations got thrown out the window.  Typically, I can feed a fort of 150+ with just a small 8x10 area for farm crops, including a cloth industry (Legendary farmers of course).  Not that it's all that important though, the farming expansions will negate most the efficiency loss (I think.)

Also, who let all the cats out?  The chains are empty and the doors been ripped off its hinges and stolen.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2011, 10:55:30 am »

Don't look at me...

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:42 am »

AnimaRytak: If didn't know there was even supposed to be a door...

If someone manages to get potash production up, we could easily reduce the number of active farm plots. Half of the new plots aren't even active year round, I gave them one and only one crop each.

noodle: It worked, but I didn't need to turn it off, exactly...

The entire catch basin and the top level were full of 7/7 water.

Besides, now that the entire machine is coated in mud, it looks much better. No random fungiwood axles, no microcline gears clashing with wooden wheels. Everything is just brown. Well, except the weeds that keep sprouting up.

BladeMaster: Haulers don't need the same accomodations as legendary miners. >_>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:10:29 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

I'm pretty sure I had a door there to keep newborn kittens from running amok.  Or I might have gone daft.  That Deathgate Madness Syndrome is some powerful shit.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:53 am »

Any chance I can join the list of names that shall be attempting to run this fortress.

EDIT: I guess it would be best to take a dwarf too
Name: Cappstv
Job Name: Stone Baron
Profession: Miner

AND MAKE SURE ITS A MALE
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:30:15 am by cappstv »
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2011, 11:32:13 am »

Any chance I can join the list of names that shall be attempting to run this fortress.

EDIT: I guess it would be best to take a dwarf too
Name: Cappstv
Job Name: Stone Baron
Profession: Miner

AND MAKE SURE ITS A MALE

Added to both lists.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:32 am »

Overseer's Journal, 19th Granite, 754:

Received a wave of migrants today. A pair of strand extractors, a glassmaker, a carpenter, a fisherdwarf, a few new members of the military, and a few others not worth mentioning. They're here and they're willing to work, even if their skill aren't worth squat, so that's a mercy. Our population has swollen to 111 dwarves, and the logistical challenge of getting them food and beds falls to me. No wonder no one questioned my ascension to the position of Overseer. No one else wanted it.

The task of clearing out new rooms has taken precedence even over the task of finding safe adamantine. We know it is out their, but, aside from wading through magma, we've no way to get to it. It's maddening. I'm sure, however, that this state of affairs will not last long. Each dwarf shall have a place to sleep, and the adamantine will be recovered.

I desired gold crafts, that we might have a proper offering to the Mountain Home, as well as adequate trade goods for the inevitable caravan, but it seems we have no metalcrafters. Most unfortunate. In any case, I have ordered that spiked silver balls and iron serrated disks be constructed. Our entrance will not be found bare and defenseless. I forbid it.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2011, 02:14:17 am »

Having any fps issues with 111 dwarves?
If so, we should start considering breaching hell earlier.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2011, 02:43:35 am »

I was playing on an eight year old computer until very recently. It's not a problem, as far as I'm considered.

The next player may wish to cull the herd at their discretion, however.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:55 am »

If FPS becomes an issue, caging and slaughtering of animals is suggested.  Although it'll probably have a minor effect at this point, since the caverns have been breached.  It might be necessary to wall off and purge the caverns of life.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 03:50:17 am »

So, put the BATTEREY to work and pump magma into the caverns?

....Yeah, I think Imma let someone else do that. I already killed about 4 dwarves during my turn over in Rinsewinds. Hoping for less fail here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 175