Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836335 times)

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 04:13:11 am »

I'd suggest someone does it eventually, otherwise Forgotten Beasts will be trying to rape our rears. 

Also, the second cavern is freaky.  I've never seen anything like it in my gens.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:07 am »

That second cavern seems so vast and spacious, and yet so eerily empty and devoid of life.
Not even a single shroomling growing underneath.

I also noticed that you can make the BATTEREY run at full throttle now that wlerin's connected the thing to an aquifer.
Just fill it with as much water as possible and the aquifer will drain off any excess.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »

I'd suggest someone does it eventually, otherwise Forgotten Beasts will be trying to rape our rears.
Not unless I left a tunnel open. Which is entirely possible. I didn't think about the FPS hit though, might want to set the pop cap to 120 or even 100.

Also, the second cavern is freaky.  I've never seen anything like it in my gens.
Indeed. I have seen caverns like it before, but that doesn't make it less eerie.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »

heh, usually play with around 100 popcap(not due to fps, this being a brand spanking new comp, but due to management), so I'm for setting popcap to 100
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:59 pm »

Overseer's Journal, 17th Slate, 754:

Finally managed to assign a bedroom to every dwarf. I'm engraving the Mayor's quarters, as hes complaining they aren't fitting of his station. I'll let him believe he's important. On a related note, the Dining Hall has engravings on every surface. Whoop dee doo.

For now, our miners have almost completely moved out the stone in the future bedrooms. I've ordered beds to be placed within, in anticipation of more migrants. They will come. Until the time comes to dig out more bedrooms, I will have the miners searching out safe adamantine. I've been told that we have signs of two(!) distinct veins of the precious metal. I want that adamantine. Soon, we will have adamantine arms and armor.

Also, I have continued to trap our entranceway. I have ordered that our excess silver be worked into giant spiked balls, in order to crush invaders. I also placed some iron serrated disks. Nothing is getting into this fort without my say so.

Kittens keep being born by the armload. The second they mature, I'm thinking biscuits.

Addendum: It's the 27th now. We've just now made our way to one of the adamantine veins. I... I felt it calling out to me. It wants to be excavated. I can feel it. All the same though, I've heard terrible stories. Tales of demons imprisoned within hollow spires of adamantine. The miners wouldn't stand to mine it all out, unless they were certain they were safe.

I can't blame them. I think...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2011, 05:13:00 am »

yeah, I'd save before digging the admantine. I remember reading in battlefailed that they dug ONE tile and encountered an 8 level hollow tube straight to demons.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2011, 05:14:58 am »

the gods be fickle ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2011, 10:21:54 pm »

I say we invade hell once we get our first batch of legendary warriors.

edit: outfitted with as much adamantine as we can dig too.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:55 pm »

I'd suggest a slightly more conservative approach. Drop a shaft down into hell and build a tiny outpost surrounded by stone bunkers and trenchlines, then slowly expand from there. Advance under covering fire, dig another trench, rinse, repeat. I can see a problem keeping up a steady supply of bolts, though.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2011, 12:49:45 am »

I don't believe you can dig in hell. Although, after we weather the first wave, we could route some water and magma into hell and dig into the obsidian.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2011, 01:44:08 am »

Here is my tactic.

1 :: Candy Veins have a 6x6 Tube that you need to be cautious of. This is that of the wall around said tube. So chipping at the walls that could not contain said tube is the best bit, in other words the one tile strings and the large clomps of 2x2 areas. Anything that could have enough space for a 2x2 tube behind it that isn't accessable via a diagonal path already is safe to mine. But be warned there is chances of 2 or more 6x6 danger zones overlayed over the vein.

2 :: Outfit 2 or more Axe Legion of 10 Dwarves, they need to be well trained in Axes and Shields to the fullmost, Shield for blocking firebolts and axes for cutting off parts, last I checked Axes have mainly slash attacks, slash has chance to dismember and thus, armless deamons (if they have limbs) Hentai Deamons would be a little more difficult. Then what is needed is 4 Legions of 5 squads of MM, I choose 5 because this will allow for an easier to control firing line over the 10, when a dwarf is shooting while standing onto of another dwarf, they don't perform as well. They need to be equipped with the basic of gear, as they will not be on the front line, they will need 1000 bolts each dwarf. 500 for the first Breach, and more coming in by Dumping into hell when a foothold is captured...

3 :: To capture a Foothold three things will be needed. 1: The army naturally. 2: A Command Bunker on the top of the Vein, this bunker is where the Dwarves will first hold off at the vein, there will be needed three things for this but that will be explained better later. And finally 3: The Breach Bunker. The Breach Bunker is actually located on the Roof to Hell, captured at the first Tube to Hell, building this will need to be fast and quick, so thus at the Command bunker will need enough Blocks (cut stone for easier storage and transportation) and many Legendary Miners to construct it as quickly as possible.

The Command Bunker is this. Find the top of the Vein, Dig above by 2 zs so that you can then rebuild a dome around it with Hand built walls, make sure that the only thing inside the dome is the vein at this time.
Inside the Dome build 4 watch rooms which are two stories high, the second story above the last tile of the vein, build them so that they are on different points over looking the planned breach point. Directly infront of your BP, prepare a simple room in which a Raised Bridge will be the only thing between the room and the BP, make it wide, inside this room set up other single tile raised bridges in a staggered formation. Inside this room behind these staggered bridges is your AxeDwarves. They will wait till the Deamons break down the bridge between them and the BP.
Inside your watch towers you set up your MM squads, behind them is enough Bolts for 200 each...
Prepare a long tunnel on the opposite side of the breach point in which you can bring in your Sacrifice or Speedy Miner. This miner's job is to remove the wall and bug out as fast as possible. Do this by having another tile that he can dig ready for him when he is done with the Vein that no other miner can get to (or turn off all other), he will mine then dash to his new job, when he exits the tunnel he should be safe and a Mason can put up the wall.
Unless the Deamons can fly you should be good, as they will take alot of bolts before they reach the bridge which they will breakdown releasing your own version of a Deamon Rush as your Axedwarves decend out and assist in the fight.
If all goes well, you should be able to clear out this wave.

Rebuild your Axedwarf Bridgewall and bring back your axedwarves behind it, leave it down so that when you remove a wall in the back of your Axeroom and bring in the Masons carrying their Blocks, they now need to go as quickly as possible to start setting up the Breach Bunker. if they are threatened call them back to a Burrow with an alert and the Axedwarves forward infront of them, hopefully your masons will make it back out of the Axe Room and able to reseal it while your axes defend and MM shoot. Keep rotating in more Axe Legions each wave. Soon you will be able to build the Breach Bunker.
The bunker is attached to the roof with stairs and a smallish room to start with, when the room is compleate fill with Bolts and then set up your MM inside the room, have some Legendary Engravers turn those walls into fortifications, your MM can then shoot down out of it...

While this is being done, prepare a funnel through your room to pump a Magma and Water pipe to make your own Helltube which you can then carve out of the Obsidian into hell...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2011, 01:54:17 am »

Here is my tactic.

1 :: Candy Veins have a 6x6 Tube that you need to be cautious of. This is that of the wall around said tube. So chipping at the walls that could not contain said tube is the best bit, in other words the one tile strings and the large clomps of 2x2 areas. Anything that could have enough space for a 2x2 tube behind it that isn't accessable via a diagonal path already is safe to mine. But be warned there is chances of 2 or more 6x6 danger zones overlayed over the vein.

2 :: Outfit 2 or more Axe Legion of 10 Dwarves, they need to be well trained in Axes and Shields to the fullmost, Shield for blocking firebolts and axes for cutting off parts, last I checked Axes have mainly slash attacks, slash has chance to dismember and thus, armless deamons (if they have limbs) Hentai Deamons would be a little more difficult. Then what is needed is 4 Legions of 5 squads of MM, I choose 5 because this will allow for an easier to control firing line over the 10, when a dwarf is shooting while standing onto of another dwarf, they don't perform as well. They need to be equipped with the basic of gear, as they will not be on the front line, they will need 1000 bolts each dwarf. 500 for the first Breach, and more coming in by Dumping into hell when a foothold is captured...

3 :: To capture a Foothold three things will be needed. 1: The army naturally. 2: A Command Bunker on the top of the Vein, this bunker is where the Dwarves will first hold off at the vein, there will be needed three things for this but that will be explained better later. And finally 3: The Breach Bunker. The Breach Bunker is actually located on the Roof to Hell, captured at the first Tube to Hell, building this will need to be fast and quick, so thus at the Command bunker will need enough Blocks (cut stone for easier storage and transportation) and many Legendary Miners to construct it as quickly as possible.

The Command Bunker is this. Find the top of the Vein, Dig above by 2 zs so that you can then rebuild a dome around it with Hand built walls, make sure that the only thing inside the dome is the vein at this time.
Inside the Dome build 4 watch rooms which are two stories high, the second story above the last tile of the vein, build them so that they are on different points over looking the planned breach point. Directly infront of your BP, prepare a simple room in which a Raised Bridge will be the only thing between the room and the BP, make it wide, inside this room set up other single tile raised bridges in a staggered formation. Inside this room behind these staggered bridges is your AxeDwarves. They will wait till the Deamons break down the bridge between them and the BP.
Inside your watch towers you set up your MM squads, behind them is enough Bolts for 200 each...
Prepare a long tunnel on the opposite side of the breach point in which you can bring in your Sacrifice or Speedy Miner. This miner's job is to remove the wall and bug out as fast as possible. Do this by having another tile that he can dig ready for him when he is done with the Vein that no other miner can get to (or turn off all other), he will mine then dash to his new job, when he exits the tunnel he should be safe and a Mason can put up the wall.
Unless the Deamons can fly you should be good, as they will take alot of bolts before they reach the bridge which they will breakdown releasing your own version of a Deamon Rush as your Axedwarves decend out and assist in the fight.
If all goes well, you should be able to clear out this wave.

Rebuild your Axedwarf Bridgewall and bring back your axedwarves behind it, leave it down so that when you remove a wall in the back of your Axeroom and bring in the Masons carrying their Blocks, they now need to go as quickly as possible to start setting up the Breach Bunker. if they are threatened call them back to a Burrow with an alert and the Axedwarves forward infront of them, hopefully your masons will make it back out of the Axe Room and able to reseal it while your axes defend and MM shoot. Keep rotating in more Axe Legions each wave. Soon you will be able to build the Breach Bunker.
The bunker is attached to the roof with stairs and a smallish room to start with, when the room is compleate fill with Bolts and then set up your MM inside the room, have some Legendary Engravers turn those walls into fortifications, your MM can then shoot down out of it...

While this is being done, prepare a funnel through your room to pump a Magma and Water pipe to make your own Helltube which you can then carve out of the Obsidian into hell...

wow, that sounds like an awesome strategy, that could be used when we here breach into hell and bastard sons of rebecca black and justin bieber shall wage war upon us.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:55 am »

Assuming the fortress lasts until then, I'd like to take turn 11 and see what other crazy project I can create.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:55 pm »

Just a little warning, my turn is probably going to take a mite longer than I expected. I'm in the middle of a full weekend function.

Might get through some more tonight, not sure.

Edit: Getting through some more.

Overseer's Journal: 16th Hematite, 754:

We've had a few minor problems, but nothing serious. One of the wells has dried. I ordered it deconstructed, and a hatch cover placed above the open hole, lest some unwary dwarf stumble in. That should keep them from reminding me that "I can't clean myself! The well is dry!" There is a perfectly serviceable one right next to you. Cretins.

Nomal Zasitlikot has been possessed, and is demanding a workshop and raw materials even as I write. Hopefully, we'll have what he needs.

The extraction of adamantine goes well. I plan to allow access to it only to go to our finest smiths, so that it might be utilised properly. I must admit however, even if only in my private journals.... I am deeply troubled. The adamantine calls to me, like a siren. It wants me to fetch it from the walls. All of it. Each piece. But that is lunacy! Still, each day that passes, my desire grows. I don't know what to do.

Perhaps it's my imagination. And besides, what do I have to fear? The tales of demons, and hell, capped by spires of adamantine within the earth? It is childish nonsense.

Yes.... Simply a fool's worry.

Edit: Cappstv is now dorfed.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2011, 12:19:50 am »

Don't deconstruct the pitchblende well! :O

(It just needs one more level channeled out. I wasn't able to complete it due to the ... minor incident with BATTEREY. It should be safe now though.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 175