Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832718 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2011, 12:48:43 pm »

I think I broke the battery, its more Self sustaining then before and uses less power. AND IT DOESN'T EVEN USE PUMPS!!!! Seriously. Ramps on either end make the water move back and forth down the path, turning the wheels...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Theres an Aquifier???

...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2011, 03:26:16 am »

Hey guys! Sorry for the slow'ish update schedule, Work has been rather hectic. I'll get the last quarter out tomorrow morning GMT, I have no idea what that means to you Americanians, but anyway. I have some stuff planned for the last part, and I anticipate a siege due to the slow last 2 q's.

THE ICICLE OF DOOOOOOOOM!

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:47 am »

From the journal of 'Narqulie' Buketreg The Insane

3rd Moonstone, 756
Winter is upon us.. The general mood of the fortress is still good, but I feel uneasier every minute. The dream are becoming more vivid each passing night, and I feel sick when I wake up.

18th Moonstone, 756
A fisherdwarf gave birth to a baby girl, but nothiung much more is happening to be honest. The military keeps training, the masons keep digging out more rooms, and everything is decisively quiet.

25th Moonstone, 756
The preparation of adamantine goods has ground to a halt, it seems we ran out of wafers. Gladly we still havwe lots of the raw stuff, and extracting the strands has been cranked to 11.

27th Moonstone, 756
I keep telling them to take more ballistae-bolts into the Icicle-room, but they just won't listen.

1st Opal, 756
Work on AnimaRytaks new office is nearing completion, and across the hall, my own office is being built. Nothing too fancy, just, something to remember me by.

11th Opal, 756
A great forgotten beast was spotted in the caverns.. Sooner or later we're going to have to deal with them, but for the  moment they remain sealed off.
I'm concerned about the lack of Goblin sieges.. They are up to something.

23rd Opal, 756
The dreams have taken a turn for worse. No longer do I see abstract battles in an unfamiliar place. Now the slaughter is happening in these very halls.. I saw all of my squad get slaughtered, and the main hall..
Waking up I was hit by miasma, as something had died in the hall. Gladly it was only a piglet, but still, these haunts are getting the best of me.

1st Obsidian, 756
Winter is drawing to a close, and still nothing much has happened. Adamantine wafers are being melted into shape as we speak, and another batch of axes is being forged. Soon we can move into making armor. I'm thinking of trying to establish a steady supply of steel to go together with the adamantine, to get our warriors geared up to the max.

3rd Obsidian, 756
I still have no use for the BATTEREY, and the mad mechanic keeps pestering me about that. I think I'll let someone else deal with that, I simply do not have the energy anymore.. I barely sleep at night, and during the day I walk around like some sort of a zombie.

9th Obsidian, 756
With nothing much happening, I've ordered a big spring cleaning, removing some of the stone that''s cluttering up the hallways, and have ordered the place to be engraved.

16th Obsidian, 756

A siege has arrived on the brink of spring!

And with them the leader of the goblin civilization, the vile Song Ngasmausbu!

With a force of about 4 squads, the goblins are slowly moving towards our defences. I get the squads ready and now we wait.

There are atleast 4 squads of goblins, and a squadfull of trolls closing in on the fortress doors!
I order the ballistae to fire, it will be amazing when the bolts launch!
Umm.. A dwarf just ran past all the invaders on the bridge unarmed and unharmed.. We won't see Inod again...

TRAGEDY! The mayor has been shot and killed by a goblin bowman who had snuck up behind the archers towers at the gates.

The goblin General is dead! Curse him to the demons that haunt this world!

The siege has lifted, but sadly we have lost some dwarves.
Rith Delerlitast,
Inod Lalturineth,
Ducim Matulcog,
You will be missed (whoever you were...)

I started contruction on roofs for the towers to make sure the tragedy we saw today will not happen again

25th Obsidian, 756

And Animarytak is the Baron!

27th Obsidian, 756
Remember Inod, the leatherworker who went MIA during the siege? He just walked back into the fortress without as much as a scratch on him!

1st Granite, 755
I had a good year, and with the latest siege, the rush of adrenaline cleared my head out a bit. I know we are getting prepared for the big push at the Icicle of Doom, but we will be ready! We will be ready, and Deathgate shall be victorious, and our legend will be told for hundreds of generations to come!

I will step down from my position as a makeshift mayor, now that the old dufus Ducim is dead (Armok bless his soul) and Animarytak takes his place as the mayor. I have my quarters completed, and I  shall keep training for the big push on the demons.

OOC:
So, I had an eventful year! A barony, two sieges and all.
The work on the Icicles room is pretty much done, missing a few grates, remember these since the demons can fly up the channel in there..
We also do not have a graveyard, but I put some coffins on R and cleared out a room for them on the main level, in the lower left corner, there is a coffin in there to mark the spot.
Animarytak also wants a tomb, and it is in the process of being dug out, but it didn't get finished in time.. We went down a few hundred units of booze during my year, I have 2 stills boiling at their fullest in the food preparation area..
I also ordered a mass dump of all the stone around the place, and engravers are working to engrave all of the bedrooms, just to get the moods up a bit. Hmm. I don't remember if I needed to say anything more, so ask away if you have anything,
Here is the latest save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4524
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:21:40 pm by Narqulie »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:06 am »

k my turn? I'll take a minute to figure out what to do
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:50 pm »

so, I've loaded the save and looked around, and I've realized I have no idea what I should do! I'm not gonna do mush admantine digging(not that we NEED to) because it'd be unfair to unleash hell before everyone's had at least one turn, and the long magma hallway I was gonna do isn't really possible with how you guys configured the entrance(well, MAYBE possible, I do have an idea about that....). So, I'd like ideas on projects i can do, maybe make a poll???
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2011, 04:56:50 pm »

Start drafting and training dwarf's without important jobs to the fortress.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:18 pm »

In retrospect, thats every Migrant... I spent alot of time working out who should be doing what in the fort. If anything due to the fact that we dont need all those Masons anymore (was used to help build things that never was built) they can easily be Craft Dwarfs or better...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

I still have no use for the BATTEREY, and the mad mechanic keeps pestering me about that.
Technically it already has a use.
Unless someone changed it after my turn, it should be currently powering a nearby millstone.
The smaller perpetual pump that was made during AnimaRytak's rule wasn't exactly stable enough to provide a continuous supply of power and I was getting tired of all of those spam cancel task reports, which was perhaps the main reason why I built that excessively large power supply.

As to the excess dwarf labor problem, just put all of the idlers into the military as part-time militia (4-6 months per year) so that they could at least die in slightly better fashion before getting their guts torn out and limbs chopped off...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:11:10 pm by noodle0117 »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »

I fixed that pump down the corner (but its useless now when I noticed the Battery was still running by itself) so it was never finished, the millstones have been grinding everything so yeah...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »

hmm, I've actually figured out how to do the magma hallway I was gonna do(will involve removing a few of those statues lining the entrance, sorry), so thats one project down. As for drafting everyone into the miltary, eheheheheh, not confident enough in my military fung shue to set up decent training squads and schedule them correctly. I'll leave that little task to someone else. No, what I really had in mind was a megaproject that had a usage for the BATTERY...maybe draining the volcano for whatever?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »

*cough*

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86675.msg2349616#msg2349616

(It should be Vulcanic, not Magmatic, but w/e.)

(Or, you know, just do what you were going to do.)
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »

my military fung shue...

Fung shue?
Fun shoes?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »

...........that should read feng shui, sorry. Also, I'd have to take a day or two to study that magma hallway design, since it's a LOT more complicated than the one I was gonna do

Edit: scratch that, the link you showed me requires extensive knowledge of DF fluid logic, which I have NO experience with. I'll just go with my simple design I had planned out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:42:11 pm by tryrar »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:10 pm »

1st Granite, Journal of Tryrar Kubukkulin, Defense Commander

I reported to Narqulie's office today, at his request, and the bloody bastard informed me the stress of his job was too much and I was in charge of the fortress now! WHAT?!  :o

2nd Granite

Ok, first thing's first; we are in a good position stocks wise(we have more meals than I bloody well know what to do with, and are practically drowning in booze), so I turn my military mind to a pressing concern; WE ARE PRACTIALLY NAKED TO HEAVY SIEGES! I mean seriously, despite previous overseer's attempts to beef up security in our front entrances, you're telling me THIS
would stand up to a particularly determined seige? I think Not! So I'll apply the most dwarven of solutions to the problem; MAGMA!

15th Granite

Work on the magma hallway begins:

This will be the entryway when the lever controlling the bridge above is pulled, blocking the path:

Here's where the magma will connect to the hallway:

The upper hallway will be trapped to a fare-the-well, and here's where it will all eventually end:

2nd Slate:

Noticed progress on the hallway is going at a snail's pace. Evidently, Narqulie ordered a lot of stone to be dumped. I don't disagree with the need to clean up the fort, but not EVERYONE needs to be on the garbage detail! I've ordered all miners and stoneworkers to stop dumping and focus on my project.

4th Slate:
Kol Lokumakmam gave birth to a boy! Great, another useless brat to feed

16th Slate:
Three things of note. First, work on the magma hallway proceeds at a much faster rate now:
Second, Deathgate is now a county! I'll have to decide on a count now....

Third, Id Mengshalig, in honor of this, has run off and begun a great project commemorating Deathgate's accomplishments!  He approaches the workshop area...

...and promptly claims a leather works, ignoring the fact we have exactly ZERO tanned hides. I have half a mind to ignore him for his stupidity....no matter, getting him tanned hides should be a simple matter of putting the tanners to wor...WHAT?! we don't have a tanner's?! GOOD ARNOK, WHY NOT?!

20th Slate:
fixed the tanner issue, now just need to get hides to tan...

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:23 am »

Nice update!
A thing you should know, those deaths during the last siege all happened because the goblins have some route to the top of the fortress, on the hills above the watchtowers at the entrance! Keep that in mind, because the current magma-dig might be accessible from the outside from other routes than the great staircase!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 175