Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837090 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:51 am »

So, I finally opened the fort up in DF and had a look around.

The Military Quarter:
I like the sideways archery "towers", though as mentioned they are in dire need of ceilings.

The Dining Hall:  :o
I've seen the screenshots, but still. Holy carp this thing is awesome.

Still a lot of bedrooms missing doors and other assorted furniture.

The lower bedrooms... whoa, what is this, Japan? WTB moar space!

The farm area: Looks like there aren't enough growers. Lots of withered crops. That or I spread the farms out far too much... Maybe both. Also, we seem to have lost several animals to starvation. It may be time to either cull the herd or dig additional pastures.

Part of the BATTEREY has been damaged. It looks like the entire lower left section was deconstructed or else improperly "modified" such that it collapsed. Also, the gears either need to be replaced with more horizontal axles, or left in place. At least one column still needs to have gears, else no power will be transmitted.

Additionally, there's a water wheel and pump at the extreme western end of the machine that is doing nothing.

The pumps can be dismantled, they are already disconnected and unnecessary to the design. Some of the blocks are even magma safe. I don't believe the map has any sand, so any pumps used in the construction of your magma trap will need to be manufactured from iron.

I know obsidian is magma safe... not sure what else of our available stone is.

Wow, lots of Adamantine mined. Going well.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2011, 09:06:54 am »

So I'll apply the most dwarven of solutions to the problem; MAGMA!
Applauses :)

Just remember to include a few grates and some way to clean up the remaining magma afterwards.

Additionally, there's a water wheel and pump at the extreme western end of the machine that is doing nothing.
That was a separate one AnimaRytak made during the first year of the fort.
It must've dried up long ago.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:10:43 am by noodle0117 »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:07 pm »

Hows the millatery going?

and hows my little guy? :)

love what youve done so far.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »

updates might be a little slow today; feeling a bit under the weather. Also, I really have to ask; seriously, NOBODY set uo a leather industry before me? Or did someone accidentally deconstruct the tanners?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »

So, I finally opened the fort up in DF and had a look around.

The Military Quarter:
I like the sideways archery "towers", though as mentioned they are in dire need of ceilings.

Thanks, Ran out of time to put a ceiling on it though so yeah...

The Dining Hall:  :o
I've seen the screenshots, but still. Holy carp this thing is awesome.
The other fun thing is that as I said before, the Hall is assigned by the tables among the statues so any weddings/parties are held there. I like to put my Booze on the same level they eat and Food above or below, naturally I couldn't put it below...

Still a lot of bedrooms missing doors and other assorted furniture.

The lower bedrooms... whoa, what is this, Japan? WTB moar space!
I thought I got all the doors onto the rooms. Oh well...
And yeah the Lower Bedrooms are just quick rooms cause I was tired of only having LESS then HALF of the Fort with a room, regardless of their quality. Plus they are easy to make and quick to get into and out of...

The farm area: Looks like there aren't enough growers. Lots of withered crops. That or I spread the farms out far too much... Maybe both. Also, we seem to have lost several animals to starvation. It may be time to either cull the herd or dig additional pastures.

My next goal was to rehash the Farming area but yeah ran out of time, I left I think only 3 or 4 dwarves with the farming skill on, I must have put hauling duties onto them aswell as they should only be them working on the farms...

Part of the BATTEREY has been damaged. It looks like the entire lower left section was deconstructed or else improperly "modified" such that it collapsed. Also, the gears either need to be replaced with more horizontal axles, or left in place. At least one column still needs to have gears, else no power will be transmitted.

The pumps can be dismantled, they are already disconnected and unnecessary to the design. Some of the blocks are even magma safe. I don't believe the map has any sand, so any pumps used in the construction of your magma trap will need to be manufactured from iron.

I know obsidian is magma safe... not sure what else of our available stone is.
I was gonna fix this up too but that was before I noticed that it was still running without effect of the pumps at the bottom (Aquifer apparently) I was planning on doing just that with the Axles but NO ONE WOULD MOVE THOSE MECHANISMS...

Wow, lots of Adamantine mined. Going well.
Not long now huh...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:33 pm »

I don't think we are anywhere near "ready" to continue the "Main Quest". But we are getting there. A few more fallback plans in case of disaster would be a good idea. E.g. an obsidianizer or two
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2011, 05:28:30 pm »

And a Secondary Fort. As a Backup OH FUCK!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »

Most important aspect is the ability to seal off access for the clowns in emergancys in a way that dosent rely on doors or open space.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »

I have a few questions:
1. If grates let liquid through, and you have a long line of them...

OOOOOOOOOO
__######__
OOOOOOOOOO

Where O = wall
# = grate
_ = floor

What happens if you squeeze water and magma through both ends at the same time?
Will obsidian form in the middle of the grates or will it form at one end?

2. Can Hatches be lever controlled?
And if they can, can they hold up obsidian or will they collapse once obsidian forms on top of them?

3. How well do retractable gates fare against obsidian on top of them?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

3rd Felsite

The rough corridor has finished being dug out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I next have to plan ways of draining magma once the corridor fills with it, so as to access whatever Arnok's Blood doesn't melt.
Also, I discovered the archer's towers next to the entryway have no roofs, so that any enemies walking along the walls above can fire down upon the soldiers stationed below. I'm told that is how we suffered casualties in the last siege. I have immediately ordered this corrected.

4th Felsite
Curses! a masterwork of Stakud Mogshumstukos disappeared!

23rd Felsite
Tanner Aban went for a stroll...and  uncovered an ambush! looks like we'll be needing coffins in a minute...

25th Felsite
 With the Blockaded Bridges to provide covering fire, I lead the Rough Masters and the Walled Banks to sortie against the enemy. It doesn't take long to drive off the squad of speargoblins, as well as the group of macegobs that showed up to support their foul brethren. Though, I never had time to run to the armory to pick up a REAL weapon, and was forced to fight with a training axe, so unfortunately, I remain without any kills to my name.  :(

2nd Hematite
The strain of not having proper accommodations proves to much for AnimaRytak, and he goes berserk! Just when I was digging out his tomb too...(Seriously, I was ALMOST finished bringing up his dining room to snuff, and getting his tomb ready. DANGIT!)

4th Hematite
Today is a sad day in the annals of Deathgate. After organizing my squad, I posted them outside AnimaRytak's room while I went to restrain him. Screaming in incoherent rage, he assaulted me, and after a long fight, I had no choice but to strike him down.

18th Hematite
With all that is going on, I don't think anyone would mind if I appropriated the tomb I was carving out for AnimaRytak(he's certainly in no position to protest!)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:03:22 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

By the way, since animaRytak went nuts, Dariush is now mayor
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:07:10 pm by tryrar »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2011, 09:05:43 pm »

You dirty bastard!  Traitor!  Murderer!

Did i drop any good loot?  (j/k)

I knew I'd go berserk, since I was made Baron without proper quarters.  Redwarf as AnimaRytak II with a title of Doppleganger.  Make him an axe or a hammer dwarf.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »

speaking of which, we have about 210 dwarves, any other dorfing requests?

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

I've been hoping people would pop in for dorfing.  But so far the peanut gallery is mostly limited to people who are playing.  Remember folks, you don't have to play to get a dorf!
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »

looking at the dorfing list, did Ignatzami have a preference? otherwise I'll just dorf him as a random nobody

Edit: You are now the 5th Squad leader, animarytak
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:18:39 pm by tryrar »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 175