Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832613 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2011, 01:21:09 pm »

...Now we have to use third-party programs merely to get the game to work? I'm not using LNB and not going to even if it means missing this game.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:51 pm »

It's just a modular save game updater.

Quite useful actually.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

Re-extract the savegame (or just the raw folder from the savegame), then copy your preferred raws over the existing raw folder. Don't delete the raw folder (you may need the reaction-make-soap file in order for the game to work). This should solve the problem.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2011, 02:37:26 am »

Re-extract the savegame (or just the raw folder from the savegame), then copy your preferred raws over the existing raw folder. Don't delete the raw folder (you may need the reaction-make-soap file in order for the game to work). This should solve the problem.
That helped. Thanks! I'll get on it today.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

Journal of Dariush the mayor, spring 758:
So.

Deathgate.

When I came here, I expected the best minds of dwarven civilization pondering the secrets of vanquishing the Ones Below. What I found was yet another heavily military-oriented outpost: giant, useless and inefficient.

To begin with, the fort is INSANELY large. It is so big that it sometimes seems to me that the best defense against the demons would be hope that they get tired before they get to the entrance. Admittedly, most of it's height comes from the central staircase, which is limited by the fort proper above and... some... thing below.

Let's see - a ballista, several food barrels, an unmarked lever and several dogs walk into the bar sit there. I don't know what the whole setup is supposed to accomplish since demons won't even be bothered by dogs and ballista operator will be too afraid to live, let alone shoot. I'll have to fix all this sooner or later, but first I'll need to deal with outside threats, in a scientific, untested and extremely brutal way. Heh.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:43:03 am by Dariush »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2011, 12:49:20 am »

But first I'll need to deal with outside threats, in a scientific, untested and extremely brutal way.
Yep, that's about right.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2011, 07:23:21 am »

Today I've finished the plans for our defence. The current one will be scrapped, or rather will serve as the shortcut for our workers and traders. The 'proper' entrance will consist of three parts: First, any incoming for will face The Crusher: a series of bridges continually raised to the edges of a narrow bridge and lowered, smashing anything smashable and throwing off everything else (drawings will come later). Any foe clever enough to bypass the trap will face The Skybridge: a series of pressure plates isolating everyone standing on them and throwing everyone else several hundred meters to the ground, leaving the remaining to be picked off by ballistae. Finally will come The Cube aka the merchant-capturing device 2.0 from my previous forts which I'm too lazy to describe here. Also, for increased... something my inner voice calls 'FPS', I'll be walling off the whole bottom part of our fort, moving the demon defences to the fortress proper.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:04:22 pm by Dariush »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2011, 09:41:23 am »

NOOOO! YOU BASTARD YOU BLEW IT UP! YOU BLEW IT ALL UP!!! MY MAGMA HALLWAY!!!!!!!!! J/K, though if you could find a way to include it in your plans.....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2011, 10:24:07 am »

Well, it is now summer. A quick summary:

The merchant-catcher is about three quarters complete. The repeater for The Crusher is done. About 15 people died, mostly from accidents. A moody clothier created a wool tunic. I walled off about 4/5s of the fort, netting about 4 FPS. A lot of cages are being constructed.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:03 am »

Wait what? Your magma hallway is intact, except I had to remove the pressure plates there because I needed it to flood a bowl at the bottom. Also, I think I invented the childfall:

Children stand on the scaffolding they're removing, remove it, fall down, die. Happy end.

Talk about blocking ground with a sword...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:41:44 pm by Dariush »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 26, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »

Clearly he needs more levels in Fighter.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Grazz989

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »

Hey everyone, i'm new here. /Waves!

Wow, this idea sure is just as ambitious as it is epic  :o

Do we have a military plan of action yet? Halls of balistas and traps? Cave ins?

I'l download the map and take a look - Just make sure you record it if you go for it  :D

EDIT: Oooh! Could i please have a Swordsman named after me? Just "Grazz" will do :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:57:39 pm by Grazz989 »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:10 am »

Crap. A siege. And at a most inconvenient moment - when I had to open barracks to the outside world, or rather what I didn't consider outside world at the time.

Seriously, why didn't anybody wall those roofs off?!

What do you mean, the highest skill of our warriors is 'proficient'?!

Ah... THAT'S what you mean. I see...

Still, by some freak chance the attack is repelled. The initial wave, at least. It looks like the military wasn't exactly fine-tuned by previous overseers as I hoped...

What a mess.

Hey look, I've found the reason for our massive casualties. I'm totally revamping our military, creating all squads from scratch, making proper schedule, better equipment etc. Also I redorfed everyone whose death I noticed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:29:01 am by Dariush »

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2011, 07:00:51 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:25 am »

Hey, we're popular.

Our already legendary weaponsmith went possessed and made a pretty awesome axe:

Two new squads: one of axedwarves and another of sworddwarves have begun training. My Crusher works flawlessly (well, except for two bridges that were built retracting instead of raising, but I'm too lazy to fix that) and already claimed a kitten. Everything progresses smoothly.

Apparently we're pretty close to becoming the capital. It'd be nice if the future overseet took care of it.

The Skybridge is completed (but untested):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last days of my overseeing saw yet another ambush, this time about to encounter my newly set up traps and the first dwarf death in The Crusher. Lesson for the future: dwarves in panic ignore path costs.

Here's the save. I'd have written something for the future overseer to do, but nobody reads those anyway.
AnimaRytak: BladeMaster, Narquile, Karakzon and Iggy McNatz died and were redorfed. I didn't dorf Gog, though, because I read the thread only after finishing the year. :( Also second turn please?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:06:56 pm by Dariush »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 175