Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 835931 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »

bargh!
i will throttle someone xP

redorf and remillatery me if you will. Karakzon The second. any weapon im fine with. but i hope not to be turned into purree so easly next time.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »

Except from the Diary of Rytak, Overlord of Deathgate

Year 759,

Seven years ago, haunted by my nightmares and compelled by a figure I only saw in my dreams, I came here to Deathgate.  My hope had been that by obeying, my torment would end.  I believed if I left the mountain home and came here that everything would be alright again.  And so I came to this place.  The fortress of madness and death, of hubris and greed.  Against the advice of my peers, I came to live here.  To my great delight, the dreams vanished the night of my arrival.  For seven years I have been at peace, despite the death and destruction that we have all come to know. 

But last night, the dream returned.

He was there.  That massive, armored monster with the burning eyes and red flesh.  His unworldly voice boomed across the voice and ruptured my ear drums.  Still I heard him speaking directly into my mind.  Even as I covered my bleeding ears and clamped my eyes shut, his voice reached me.  He commanded me to lead the others; to take the battle from the mortal plane to the burning hells.  I tried to scream back and tell him I didn't understand.  But my deaf ears heard nothing.  I opened my eyes and saw a pool of my blood on the rough, white-colored ground beneath me.   My beard was soaked with blood.  I felt a twinge in my neck and placed a hand on my throat.  I realized my throat had been cut.  Or so i thought.  The figure grabbed my hair and pulled me up.  My body remained, lifeless on the floor, as the monstrous humanoid told me his name; a name which I have never been able to remember once I awoke.  I jerked out of my bed and crashed against the wall.  A cold sweet coated my brow as panic gripped me. 

The nightmares were back.  I was no longer free.

I stayed in my room until morning came with my back pressed against the cool obsidian wall.  I was too terrified to try returning to sleep or even to leave my room.  Only when the noise of others in the hall finally reached me did I leave and make my way to the great hall.  I saw some of the others dwarves, some of them scared, some insane, others in such a stupor they barely knew their ass from their head.  Near the great hall I could hear our leader, Dariush, shouting.  When I reached the dining room, I realized nearly every dwarf had gathered here.

Although the crowd was loud, I could hear our leaders voice clearly.  He shouted, screamed even, that he would no longer lead us.  He said he would not risk his sanity for the mountain homes twisted goals.  Then he asked for another to step forward and take the mantle from him.  Not a soul in the room moved.  No one wanted this burden.  Overseer was not a posistion of prestige or class.  It was a task for the foolhardy or suicidal.  No one, expecially not me, would think of taking such an accursed job.

"Raise your hand...." a heard a whisper that seemed to come from the very depths of my soul.

I jerked back in fear, bumping into another dwarf on accident.   "What was that?" I thought.

"Raise your hand," the voice returned louder and angrier in its demands, "Or I'll rip out your heart!"

"No!" I screamed inside my head, hoping to silence the voice.

"Do as I command!!" my eardrums ached as the voice from my dreams roared at me.

Had I gone mad?  Had my nightmares truly breached the waking world?  Or had I simple gone insane and cast away the last vestiges of my sanity.  I didn't know, but I had to obey.  Terrified I raised my hand and spoke out, if only to silence the voice.

"I'll lead Deathgate,"  my announcement was followed by cheers of relief from the hundred other dwarves that had been spared from this fate.

"Good dwarf," the voice returned to a whisper for but a moment before vanishing all together.

--------------

Gog has finally been dorfed as our legendary brewer.  Also, given our massive defeat from the recent attack, I think we should consider a danger room after all.  (I mean, given the difficulty of doing this on a succession game, we need something to go our way.)

Also I'll start my turn tomorrow.  There's a LOT of stuff that's changed, and I need to figure out exactly what I need to do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:20:07 pm by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »

Seven dwarves, Seven years.
Danger room or not, it's about time to open up Hell.
No rush though, but perhaps we should breach it by the end of your turn?

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:19 pm »

I was hoping to breach it on this turn, at least by the end, but with our military so weak I'm not sure if we'll survive.  A year of danger training what forces we have MIGHT make it work.  But just in case, I'll make sure the entire breach can be sealed off forever if the military falls.

Also, the front gate is very odd looking.  Its a mixture of badass and wtf dwarfy.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2011, 03:31:49 am »

Please, no danger room...  :'( That is as close to cheating as it gets. Also I think it's too early for breaching Hell - our military is HEAVILY undertrained (up until my year the ONLY axedwarves' weapon was wooden axes) and we lack any proper defense on that side (though my traps should annihilate any outside invasion). IMHO first we should expand our military to include at least 70-80 dwarves, all highly trained of course.

Oh, by the way, I only now remembered - we ran out of food. And it would be a good idea to create a marksdwarf squad.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:07 am »

What we lack in military, we shall make up with dwarven ingenuity.
I didn't make the BATTEREY for nothing did I?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Considering how heavily fortified our front gates are, we could just direct the demon invasion to emerge from there.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »

make squads of 3 dorfs, keep 2 trainning at all times, specalise each squad to one weapon type.

with time, they will make fearce warriors, without the need of danger room shenanigans.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »

I'm a little confused. I'm pretty sure the former Karakzon was well above Proficient even during my turn... Not to mention the others who were training before him. I suspect the poor performance of our military has more to do with someone sending them to fight outside rather than in the chokepoint designed for that purpose. That bridge has killed more sieges than any dwarf.
Also,

"Karakzon's killing spree has ended."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:54:38 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

Please, no danger room...  :'( That is as close to cheating as it gets. Also I think it's too early for breaching Hell - our military is HEAVILY undertrained (up until my year the ONLY axedwarves' weapon was wooden axes) and we lack any proper defense on that side (though my traps should annihilate any outside invasion). IMHO first we should expand our military to include at least 70-80 dwarves, all highly trained of course.

Oh, by the way, I only now remembered - we ran out of food. And it would be a good idea to create a marksdwarf squad.

Not exactly, I made sure to swap out my wooden axe for a admantine axe. BTW, can I have that artifact axe?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »

Just as the dreams commanded, I am now overseer of Deathgate.  Not more than five minutes into my reign do I get the message that we have been ambushed.  Goblins are on the bridge outside.  They are few in numbers and our traps are strong, so I don't risk sending out the few untrained soldiers we have.

The voice tells me that Deathgate needs champions.  It needs warriors capable of facing down any opponent.  Currently we have nineteen soliders including myself.  This is not sufficient.  My first order of business is to create an army.

I spend hours going over the ledgers, ignoring the goblins outside.  By the time I finally finish, I've created four full squads of ten and two incomplete squads for training.  This gives us forty eight troops.  Not enough, but its a start for now.

2nd, Granite
In an attempt to restore some of our industry, I had a child tear down a wall that sealed off our old butcher shop.  A few minutes later Obok Bimshem, a child, starts vomiting in the halls.  I investigate the cause.  To the horror of everyone nearby, the turkeys that we had sealed into their breeding farms were still ALIVE.  And breeding.  The place was covered in a foot of turkey feces. 

Well, at least we'll have turkey for lunch tomorrow.

In the mean time I've ordered the hordes of cats, dogs, and turkeys caged.  I'm sick of them shitting outside my door.

6th, Granite
Some  dwarf named Melbil Tegirral has apparently started working on something.  I think he's a weaver or something, so I'm fairly disinterested.

10th, Granite
I was right, it was a ceader earring.  The voice orders me to have Melbil lashed.  I abide.
Training is going well.  At the very least its taking place.  But a good portion of our warriors are still hospitalized and, judging from their injuries, they might take a while to heal.

9th, Slate
I've ordered a tomb built for myself.  Given the history of the previous overseers, I'd like to at least know that my bones will be safe.

I've spared no expense.

15th, Slate
noodle, second Overseer of Deathgate, has died.
I'm not really sure what happened.  Apparently he was fighting, but I don't know what.  The official cause of death was ruled as "Death by hitting a solid object."  I've ordered his body entombed inside Deathgate.
As his body is carried away, I hear the voice laughing inside my head.

4th, Felsite
The nightmares continue, even as I obey their commands.  Both the dreams and the voice in my head have become ever present.  Others have begun to worry about my sanity.  They are correct to worry.
However my biggest fear is what the dreams have done to me.  I once felt kinship with my fellow dwarves, however now I only feel disgust.  The thought of spilling their blood and filling Deathgate with death linger in the back of mind no matter how much I try to supress it.
I am going insane.

22nd, Felsite
After five weeks of relative peace, an ambush has occured.  I've ordered everyone back inside.  As I don't expect the goblins to make it over the bridge, I leave the recruits to their training.  The weapon traps preform admirably, leaving not a goblin soul alive.

As spring draws to an end, my tomb is nearing completion.  All that is left is to finish adding doors.  The first door is made of solid platinum and my coffin is made of pure adamantine. 

Everyone will know who the Overlord of Deathgate was.

------

Spring is over, a few people died, mostly noodle.  Turns out my character is still mostly comatose thanks to a broken arm, shoulder, and ear.    Not a lot of pictures since mostly I'm just organizing and hauling stuff while the military dinks around.

Caging all the animals has drastically helped fps.  20-25 before, 40 or so after.  :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:54:50 pm by AnimaRytak »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:31 am »

Can you please pull the microcline lever near the entrance
Spoiler: (this one) (click to show/hide)
? I really want to know whether or not my traps are working :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:05:18 am by Dariush »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2011, 02:59:39 am »

Mayhaps we ought to build some cage traps, capture some gobbos, and use them as training dummies? Couldn't hurt our military, from the sound of things.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:00 am »

...I've been wondering why we had no cage traps already myself.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2011, 05:43:38 am »

Wait what?
I Died?

This is Blasphemy!
This is Madness!

This is... oh wait that's right this is Deathgate where dwarves are supposed to die.

Can you re-dwarf me as another mechanic because I would prefer leading the fort with an actual body.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:43 am »

Can you please pull the microcline lever near the entrance
Spoiler: (this one) (click to show/hide)
? I really want to know whether or not my traps are working :)

They seem to be working, at least I've noticed the bridges have been smashing pets for a good while.  Don't know about the top section though.  Because that lever is outside, it didn't get pulled last siege, so the goblins just ate weapon traps.  I'll probably move it inside this next turn so its not exposed.

...I've been wondering why we had no cage traps already myself.

Actually Dariush added a whole bunch as long as they go through his trap system.  But the aforementioned lever issue makes it hard to utilize in a pinch.

Wait what?
I Died?

This is Blasphemy!
This is Madness!

This is... oh wait that's right this is Deathgate where dwarves are supposed to die.

Can you re-dwarf me as another mechanic because I would prefer leading the fort with an actual body.

If it makes you feel any better, your corpse is probably still outside.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 175