Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832733 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2011, 08:50:58 am »

Actually, I already started moving it and placed a copy of the lever in the lever room (though I don't remember exactly which one is that). As of the end of the year, there was a task to connect it to the bridge, though it probably got suspended. Also the primary purpose of the cage traps out there is to capture merchants (for zoos), but nobody ever uses it to that purpose. :(

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2011, 10:23:27 am »

1st, Hematite
Despite my urging that no one go outside the fortress, one of our axe dwarves decided to stroll out.  He was ill prepared for the goblin that smashed his face in.  I am not surprised.
I've ordered the gate sealed until further notice.

Despite the vast mineral wealth we already possess, I've ordered numerous veins of copper and gems mined out. 

7th, Hematite
Well Narquille is out of bed finally.  He's even detailing floors.  By the gods I don't know how, he's got a shattered foot and a broken hand.  I've checked over the logs and we have nothing to make plaster with.  So I'll have to buy some off of the next caravan.  The amount of broken limbs is staggering and splints dont seem to be doing the job.

9th, Hematite
The constant lava-flow down the side of the mountain has gotten me worried.  I've tried numerous levers, but they only open up more lava to flow down the mountain.  After a bit of playing I finally figured out what lever to pull.
15th, Hematite
After numerous complaints, I've ordered more cabinents built and the ones we already have installed in the dwarves rooms.  Clothing is starting to pile up there and I'd like to keep the place somewhat clean.   Since we have tons of stone, this seems like a good use of our resources.
Late Summer
The nightmares are getting worse each passing night.  The figure still commands me to lead.  Commands me to dig deeper.  I try my best to obey but I cannot bring myself to order the adamantine dug out.  Still I continue to organize the fortress, trying to motivate these worthless peons into doing their jobs correctly. 
I never realized how much I hate my own kind until now.

16th, Galena
A wood burner has been possessed by something, other wordly.  Although I sympathize with the insanity, I order the guards to kill him if he even so much as looks at a guard funny.

18th, Galena
How does it take 3 days to find a magma forge?  Honestly, whatever has possessed this poor bastard isn't very intelligent.   Even the voice agrees with me on this one.

As i contemplate torturting the fellow, I hear that the human caravan has arrived.  I take the opportunity to order our useless trinkets and shreaded clothing hauled to the depo.  I doubt if much of their goods will be useful, but at the very least, I can get rid of some of this junk while those devil worshipping humans do all the work.

Late Summer
Apparently some jag off thought it would be funny to run against me in the election for mayor.  Officially he won, but of course he's been told he's lost.  To punish him for his crimes, his new job is recovering useful stuff from the surface. 
Additionally I've asigned a new dwarf, one by the name of Zulban, to be the broker.  Seeing as how Iggy is in the military and has zero free time.  Zulban seems upbeat about his promotion.

----

Really not a lot going on.  I'm mostly just playing conservatively by mopping up the messes we have lying around.  Although I plan on making myself a grand throne room of skulls because I'm a freakin tyrant.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

The constant lava-flow down the side of the mountain has gotten me worried.  I've tried numerous levers, but they only open up more lava to flow down the mountain.
Once again I'm reminded why I play Dwarf Fortress.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2011, 11:24:16 am »

...Just as a note: when all the military got massacred, did I survive? Or am I one of those taking up space in the hospital? Can't tell going back and reading though that mess....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »

Your currently our most badass dwarf.  You survived the last battle, your uninjured, and you have 23 kills to your name (one of them is me).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, your the current fort badass.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »

Autumn
My nightmare changed last night.  I was sitting in a great, oppulent throne room.  The great monsterous figure sat on the throne.  I can remember it clearly.  The walls and floors were made of obsidian, magma flowed beneath iron floodgates, and golden statues adorned the room.  I understood the message.  This was to be masters throneroom.  I've ordered construction to begin immediately.
Here's a general layout of the throne room. 
Changes might still be made, but this is the general idea.

4th, Limestone
We still haven't traded with the humans yet, since everyone is too busy hauling goods en-mass to the depo.  The only progress made in the entire fort was by Rith, the possessed dwarf.  Appparently he acquired whatever it was he needed.  Hopefully its something useful.

I've done a quick survey of our military's training.  So far things are going well, if not slow.  Our squad of marksdwarves has reached novice level.  The same cannot be said of the other units.

9th, Limestone
Rith has completed his work.  However, I'm furious to find out what he's made.

A barrel?  A damned barrel? Out of adamantine?  I ordered him beat.

Actually on second thought, that's a pretty bitchin barrel.  Its worth 756,000 dwarfbucks too.  I'll let it slide this time.

10th, Limestone
We finally got around to trading with the humans.    After some deliberation, we trade them a mountain of useful junk for some metal bars, a metric ton of food,  and anything remotely useful.  Although we manage to give them a ton of junk, we still have more than we need.  Regardless, at least we got something out of it.

15th, Limestone
While I was eating in the dining hall, I heard a dwarf mention the name Armok.    Why does that name seem familar?  I'm sure I've never heard that name before.

21st, Limestone
Work has begun on the masters throneroom.  Its slow, but hopefully I'll be done by the end of the year.
I've begun to wonder though, just who is the master?  He tells me his name, but I can never remember it once I wake up.  I've tried to ask the voice, but the voice tells me nothing.

22nd, Limestone
Watching the serfs work I noticed one odd dwarf slowly going about his labors.  As i prepared to beat him, I noticed that, not only was his right leg mangled, but his left arm was gone.  I'm rather surprised that he was still alive.  I asked him how he was. 
He complained of a minor injury lately.
No, I'm serious.
I may have underestimated these serfs.  They're very dedicated, if not flat out suicidal

23rd, Limestone
Another idiot was knocked off the bridge and died.

27th, Limestone
I recieved word that we have attracted no migrants this season.  I suppose this means that either the mountainhome has been destroyed, to which I feel no sorrow, or word has reached them that Deathgate is a deathtrap, in which I feel no sorrow.

3rd, Sandstone
Damn it! 
We breached an aquifier as we dug out the throne room.  The entire place is flooding.  There's no way to stop it either, the location is a complete bust.
Despite the masters insistience, I've had to cancel the project.  There isn't any other sutiable location for the throne room.

5th, Sandstone
After noticing that the mechanic work hasn't been completed, I went looking for noodle II.  To my surprise, the manager told me he was dead.  Apparently she's missing her entire upper body.  I don't have any proof, but I blame the previous overseers death bridge.  I order it forbidden to all dwarves.

18th, Sandstone
After some replanning, I think I can salvage the throneroom.  It'll have a lake now, but it'll still be a throneroom.

Late Sandstone
The master is not pleased with the throne room.  He demanded magma, not water.  Alas, there is nothing I can do but punish the serfs.  Still, I'll take the room for myself.  Perhaps I can build the master another throne room, one deep in the earth.  The voice doesn't dislike my idea, I take that as a sign of success.

16th, Timber
The dwarven caravan has arrived.  Perhaps I can get something useful this time.  I order our mountain of useless goods hauled to the depo.
19th, Timber

Oh fuck you goblins. 
You think the master is afraid of your pathetic army?!
HE WILL SWALLOW YOUR HEART!

I order everyone inside and seal off the main entrance, forcing the goblins to take the death bridge.  I wait for them to make their move as I examine their forces.  There's at least a dozen trolls and probably 30-40 goblins.   I'm not worried.
They're blood for my master.

24th, Timber
Damn it.
It turns out, do to a major flaw in our defenses, the death bridge can be completely bypassed.  This means the only defense against the goblins is a long spiraling haul of cage traps.  There should be enough to catch them all, but I'm furious at the oversight.  This will have to be fixed immediately.

27th, Timber
I conclude the trading business with the caravan.  In exchange for a giant pile of useless shit, we received a mountain of wood, some steel armor, and more food.  While I'm at it, I offer about 10k worth of goods as an offering.  Maybe it'll come back to benefit the master.

Autumn, End
As a precaution, I've sealed off the cage traps.  I don't have confidence that they'll catch the remaining goblins.  Instead I'll force them across the trapped bridge.  If they make it through, it'll be up the military to stop them.

My master will have his blood.

---
Recap:
Noodle died again.  My throne room got flooded.  We got invaded and it turns out our defenses are by passable.  Once the siege ends, I'll fix that.

On a side note, my character is really going off the deep end.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2011, 04:21:47 pm »

Your currently our most badass dwarf.  You survived the last battle, your uninjured, and you have 23 kills to your name (one of them is me).

Awesome! I guess remembering to switch out my weapon during my turn paid off! BTW, what title do I have?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:23 pm »

The Sunny Band of Lashing, apparently.

At some point, we should power train these military dwarves before they hit legendary status.  I think a year or so mining would up their stats enough to make them godlike soldiers.  But if that doesn't work, pump operation is a valid tactic.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »

The constant lava-flow down the side of the mountain has gotten me worried.  I've tried numerous levers, but they only open up more lava to flow down the mountain.
Once again I'm reminded why I play Dwarf Fortress.

Also, whats the source of that magmafall? is it from my magma hallway? Because I do have those levers contolling it clearly marked....

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2011, 04:52:58 pm »

Well, I found the one that stopped it.  I didn't immediately pull the lever since this is Dwarf Fortress.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »

Well, I found the one that stopped it.  I didn't immediately pull the lever since this is Dwarf Fortress.

Good man.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:43 pm »

So how long do you plan to put off eating the candy cane? Another year or so?

I'm eager to see what happens.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:45 am »

22nd, Limestone
Watching the serfs work I noticed one odd dwarf slowly going about his labors.  As i prepared to beat him, I noticed that, not only was his right leg mangled, but his left arm was gone.  I'm rather surprised that he was still alive.  I asked him how he was. 
He complained of a minor injury lately.
Is he in the military?

Noodle died again.
:(

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:25 am »

It turns out, do to a major flaw in our defenses, the death bridge can be completely bypassed.  This means the only defense against the goblins is a long spiraling haul of cage traps.
Waitwhatwhy? Oh crap.

Algeroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:00 am »

Could I be dwarfed as a marksdwarf? Name "Al".
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 175