Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837524 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2011, 06:06:19 am »

Then just replace "pressure plate" with "accurately timed dwarf lever pull"

edit: then again, the demons will just destroy the support themselves right?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:11:38 am by noodle0117 »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

the prisoner delivery system should be interesting, are you planning on cage trap delivery or via drawbridge?

======
=xxxxx=
=xxxxx=
=xxxxx=
=xxxxx=
======
x= drawbridge
= = wall

next level above:

FFFFF
FFFFF
FFHFF
FFFFF
FFFFF

F= Floor
H= Hatch.

this is the one i usualy use for mass prisoner deployment. seal off room below with bridges and a drop. drop prisoners when deamons get close to the area so the falls stun wont affect the battle outcome.  recomended having the chamber floodable with water to drown the prisoners should i the unlikely event of theor survival. will also make an interesting defence station against the surface when we come to building in the deeps. :P

anyone got any plans for the hell fortress? or are we going to wing it and have the millatery go on patroll to make sure any wandering deamons are put down before they harrass the workmen?

-sign me up for a turn after everyone else of current please, ive come into alot of free time-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »

Also, as a last resort, you might consider making a Dwarven Machinegun, which creates unsupported obsidian blocks and drops them a few Z-levels onto demon heads.  Reported to be massively awesome.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2011, 08:13:31 pm »

I was originally going to use cage trap employment, but now that you mention the drawbridge method, it does seem a whole lot more efficient.

I have no idea how to make a dwarven machine gun though, plus I've already have an obsidianizer planned, so I'll just leave that idea to someone else.

Edit: Scratch that! Dwarven Machine gun looks Awesome!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:19:43 pm by noodle0117 »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »

Also, a good idea for the trap hallway would be upright weapon traps set to a fluid repeater.  More or less the same concept as weapon traps, but without the annoyance of levers.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »

Holy carp where did the DMG get made before? Sounds like !!FUN!! all the way through.

And post full or partial battle logs, if not too inconvenient. Don't building destroyers destroy traps?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2011, 12:24:30 am »

Don't forget an artifact building (statue, hatch cover, something) somewhere along the line to distract them.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2011, 01:42:19 am »

After thinking things over and trying them out, I'm not sure if I actually should try making a dwarven machine gun.

Making the machine gun itself is one thing, but making it actually useful as a weapon is another.
I also might not have enough time (both in game and real) to realistically create this thing while simultaneously making everything else.

I'm not saying I'm not going to try, but just don't get your hopes up if it fails/if I fail to complete it before the year.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:12 pm »

Also, I just recalled that all demons can fly.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 06, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »

Early Summer

Progress is going well

Most of the traps and hallways have been dug out.

The prisoner arena didn’t exactly look the way I imagined it, but I guess it’ll have to do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve revamped most of the economy, laying off more than half of the engravers and crafters while tripling the number of miners and mechanics.

I”ve also drafted a few extra recruits into the military to bolster our forces, but preferring to do the dirtier stuff with mechanisms rather than beard, I’ve mostly just left the squads of candy clad warriors to manage themselves.

The dwarves are busy, work is being done efficiently, no one is having any temper problems and everything is just fine…

Oh noes! a snatcher!

Catching some of the nearby dwarves off guard, he strikes down a peasant and heavily injures one of the recruit hammerdwarves before running away.

And with snatchers there will inevitably be…

Oh noes! An ambush!

I was just about to dispatch the military when one of the dwarves mentioned to me that a specific creation used to release magma upon the creatures of the surface was built by a previous overseer just for this situation.

A brief overview of the construction had impressed me, but judging from the designs, I saw grave inefficiencies. Though the device held the potential to destroy armies, its situated position and unnecessarily long release paths meant it would be slow and clumsy with its deployment. I also could not, for the love of all that is dwarvenly, understand why the designer of this magma machine decided that it would be perfectly fine to allow a goat pass above the machine’s blast zone where any would be assaulters could just simply waltz by harm free straight into our fort.

Theoretical outcome of releasing the magma

And it would also endanger the lives of any dwarf who happened to wander outside as well.

So should I send the army or pull the lever?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:27:25 pm by noodle0117 »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2011, 11:04:13 pm »

Just save scum this once and see what happens if you release the magma.

Also, there should be some bridge or something to close up the small passageway. Or did Anima forget to fix that?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:56 pm »

Dwarf me please. I would bring neo-classical sanity to this madness :P Mechanic please, failing that, whatever survivor you first find.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:51 am »

Pulling either the lever outside the fortress entrance or one marked in the "Notes" in the lever room should cause them to take the long way.  They shouldn't bypass the first two traps anymore.

Also the magma-releaser isn't a magma releaser ala "Fuck the World", it was apparently meant to be a magma hallway that intruders enter, get trapped, then bake inside.  What we're seeing is just the mechanism to empty the hallway.

I was in the process of re purposing it into a doorway flooder before my turn ended.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2011, 01:41:50 am »

As for the creator of the magma room, that'd be me. Though, with the sheer amount of magma, if you open both the drains and the fiery death release, you might actually be able to flood the area you need to, though I didn't test that functionality...

Edit:, heh, you know, with all the extra power from the BATTERY, I just realized it'd been trivial to set up a few pumps and floodgates to direct pressurized magma from the volcano anywhere we needed to, and we could have expanded it easily! If this fort survives, I want another turn to implement this!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:44:26 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 175