Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832599 times)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - We got Doom Burgers! (Succession Game)
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2011, 06:10:38 pm »

I believe I heard once that water from a bucket isn't enough to make obsidian. I'm probably going to make some kind of suspended pool, then drop the thing.

It is enough, but it has to drop at least one z-level through air to work (as of ~40d era)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2011, 07:45:34 pm »

Or someone  could just make a giant water pump with all the excess power from the Batterey

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2011, 08:00:48 pm »

Gah, escapees are tearing up the batterey level. I may not be able to get this under control. I'll do my best to keep the fort intact, but no promises at this point.

The following was found hastily chiseled into a corner wall in the bedroom of Blade Master, the Axedwarf...

8th Slate, 761: A red demon has made his way into the fortress, and it's killing off dwarves fast. As of the most recent messenger, we'd lost a thresher and cook.
The rest of the population has panicked, with dwarves abandoning their jobs to hide from the demons. I must find a way to put an end to this.

This puts me in the perfect position to assume leadership of Deathgate. I will not let this crisis go to waste. I will first dispatch the military, then send a team of masons to floor over the top of the volcano. An impermanent solution, I would guess, but until I can cap it with fresh obsidian... It'll have to do.

Horse shit. DF crashed just as the military got to the bastard. This update is now invalid.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:15 pm »

The following was found engraved on a hidden slab within the bedroom of Blade Master, the axe dwarf...

8th Slate, 761: A demon was parading around outside the fort. I dispatched the military to slay it. As well equipped as we are, we only managed to slay it through force of numbers. It was powerful, and it breathed fire, as though it were a dragon. Absolutely horrifying. We lost two militia dwarves and a mason.

I've dispatched a masonry team to seal the volcano. It'll take too long though. I want to get down to the level neccesary to build my demon-lock system, and send a squad in to distract the demons from the surface, until we have time to complete the cap.

I need direct power. Nothing can be done fast enough until I get that buffoon out of the way. I'll have to devise a cunning plan...

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 23, 2011, 12:04:09 am »

The following was found engraved on a hidden slab within the bedroom of Blade Master, the Axe Dwarf...

2nd Felsite, 761: As during my last reign, I have endeavored to put the wandering spirits of Deathgate to rest. Several dwarves, including a pair of ghost children were wandering about, despite no longer having proper bodies. I have commissioned slabs for them all.

Work on the volcano cover is going slowly. In addition to the time it takes to haul the raw materials to the site, Demons occasionally make their way up the shafft and burst out, terrifying the workers. The military knows the truth, but I have been able to convince the populace it is nothing but a few magma crabs. A scared dwarf finds little reason to disbelieve a member of the military.

My demon-lock system is also going slowly. The dwarves are constantly warning my of warm stone. I must constantly take myself away from more pressing matters in order to mandate that they proceed with the digging anyway. It's rather irritating.

The Overseer publicly gave me his complete confidence last month, and let the citizenry of Deathgate know that my commands are his. I have since been able to move things  along much faster. Also, migrants arrived today. I will assign each a room (we have so many lying vacant) and keep an eye out for potential military recruits.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2011, 05:44:23 am »

If you're willing to risk losing a few masons, there is a much quicker and easier way of sealing off the volcano.

That is the opening where the demons are escaping. It is the lowest room in the fort. Pressing F4 (or was it F3?) should hotkey you there.
Floor that off and things should be much easier.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »

12th of Felsite, 761: The masons sent to floor over the volcano were ambushed by goblins today. I sent the military out to handle the threat. We lost a mason before any of the squads could reach the goblins, but that was unavoidable. One of the axedwarves was also shot and killed. As if we didn't have a small enough force. Another mason, though he was not killed outright, did pass away as a direct result of the attack.

I'm still trying to get the demon-lock system underway, but the work goes slowly. I've resolved to designate mining in short bursts, and redesignate as dwarves are given the chance to see that MAGMA IS NOT AROUND EVERY CORNER FOR THE LOVE OF RUM.

Unhappiness in the military is a problem, as always. I'm having the barracks engraved. Perhaps that will cheer them up.

Addendum:Oh dearie me, another wave of ambushers. How unexpected. And of course, by unexpected I mean COMPLETELY EXPECTED. I need a drink.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 24, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »

4th Hematite, 761: The demon lock system has been dug out, finally, and is now in the secondary stage of development. I asked one of the engravers (Blissfully unaware of it's purpose) to engrave a picture of the set up for posterity.

Close enough. The levers will be linked to their corresponding bridges, such that they can only be raised or lowered if a dwarf is inside. Another demon escaped to the surface, and was, eventually, slain. I confided in one of the previous overseer's, Noodle (also the fort's token maddwarf) and asked him what he thought we should do. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me he knew where the demons were getting out, and how it could be fixed. That shall be the masonry teams primary task.

In other news, I have managed to lay all but one ghost of Deathgate to rest. Still working on that.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:24 am »

How's the demon lock system going to work?
Can demons destroy raised bridges?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 25, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

How's the demon lock system going to work?
Can demons destroy raised bridges?
If you but a channel in front of them when they'll be raised then they cannot be destroyed.

Anyway, I've finially read everything up to here. Awesome! This should go into the hall of legends or something.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Praecordia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:05 pm »

This is too epic. ;-; I'd compare the demon-trap to Captain Ironblood levels of awesomeness. This story will become a classic. A story that dwarven mothers tell their children. TOURISM TO HELL SHALL BECOME DEATHGATE'S NEW INDUSTRY.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:06 pm »

According to the wiki, my system should work. If I read it right that is. I'm going to play and update in just a bit.

22nd Hematite, 761: Work continues on the demon lock system. Slowly. Mechanics are taking a good deal of time hauling mechanisms to the site and setting them up with the levers and bridges. I am starting to get impatient. If dwarves can conquer hell, we can do anything. I personally plan to have the history of deathgate carved into the very surface of hell, just for the fun of it.

I've ordered a slew of cats and kittens butchered, as they're wandering around everyplace. It's going slow. We've had no more demon attacks, and the goblins have temporarily fallen back. I expect another attack by the end of the next month.

Also, a child has been possessed by an unearthly spirit. I sure wish they could pick an armorer or weaponsmith once in awhile.

2nd Malachite, 761:

Moving on. The Volcano cap is roughly half complete. We are experiencing silence on all fronts, oddly enough. No goblin attack forces, no migrants, no demons... It's peculiar, that much is certain. The waiting is killing me. I would strike the next blow to hell, but we aren't yet ready. The western door/bridge is not yet complete, and once it is, I'll have to move down the masons, and a cache of food and drink, and the soldiers, and a miner. It will be tedious. I will be giving the militia captain sealed orders, and he will understand his duty once the western gate closes behind him.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:33 pm »

26th Malachite, 761

We get another wave of migrants. I predict more deaths shortly. It seems this fortress cannot hold much more than 150 dwarves, and there are inevitable tradgedies. My only wonder is, will I cause them?

The demon lock systems primary function is operational. I don't expect a large quantity of food to be hauled down there, though I did designate a food storage area there. I am nervous about sending the  masons and miners down. Corraling the dwarves into that room in the first place will be tricky, but I can do it. Still.. I wonder, is this the right course of action? I find myself hesitant to carry out our mandate, despite the demons vile attempts to control my mind long ago. Perhaps there was reason for the adamantine holding the demons in place?

I am becoming weak, I fear. It matters not. I will proceed with the plan. I will order supports builts, and close the door behind the masons. The military will be waiting there. Then, one of the miners will open the way.

The time is now. For the pride of Deathgate and for all dwarves, I will set the plan into motion!

5th Galena, 761

It is done. A miner and two other dwarves were sent down with a portion of the Fortress' military. Their instructions are as follows:

1. Build a staircase down into hell.
2. Once the staircase is complete, build a bunker at its base.
3. Retreat.

Once this operation is complete, we will steadily build outward, and eventually take hell for ourselves.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:11 pm »

Motion carried, Deathgate's new industry is tourism based.

Prepare demons for the zoo.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 29, 2011, 12:40:25 am »

Uh... Oh dear.

Don't we need GCS' for that? To web cage traps, I mean? Oh boy.

I'll do more tonight, Probably get through the rest of summer and hopefully fall.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 175