Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832655 times)

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #525 on: August 14, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »

From the journal of Narqulie Nishlolor, Interior designer extraordinaire
I came into this wretched mudhole in the hopes of a new project. Deathgate has recently gained renown throughout the realms for their accomplishments against the demons that plague to underside of the world-disc.
The foolhardy dwarves not plan on conquering the hellish lands and inhabit them. and this is where my prowess with the stone and knowledge on tasteful and symmetrical order comes into play.
See, dear diary, the fortress has a history of rather short-lived rulers, and every one of those 20 or so who have made their mark on the stones of this place has done so without much concern for pleasantries such as symmetry, accessibility or any such trifling details…
I am to wrench control of the fortress and build it anew, under the surface of the earth, near the bubbling lakes of lava, and close proximity of the ongoing expansion into the nether!

It’s going to take a while…

One of the stoneworkers, Edem, ran past me today and locked himself into a craftsdwarfs workshop.. I’m eagerly waiting for the resulting artifact in the hopes of it being something pretty and decorative!
Just as Autumn rolls around Edem begins his secretive work.

Edem… You worthless wanker.

Sometime Early Autumn.
I hear rumors of migrants arriving on the surface levels, despite the dagenr. What danger? I haven’t heard nor seen anything too dangerous in my time here.. I fear that the goblins might show their ugly faces before this year is done..

The construction of the New Deathgate are moving along speedily. Workers are now clearing out stones and stonecrafters are smoothing the walls down and engraving most of them just after the miners have moved their dirty hands off the square of newly hewn rock. Things are indeed going swimmingly!
A bit too well…

Winter draws in and we have a visit from a caravan. I have no need for their wares, but I still buy some food and drink off them, just to be sure. The constructions in the lower caves are moving along, and the miners are working themselves nearly to death to accomplish my goals. It will be beautiful. So clean and symmetrical and orderly, yes..

And another worker goes insane and takes up a workshop, no doubt trying to slack off his duty as a stone hauler or smoother…

There was a bit of a situation with the alcohol reserves being on the declining side, but assigning some more brewers sorted that right out. The new farms and stockpiles are being filled as I write this, and I should be on my way to oversee the happenings, as to prevent any dents and scratches ON MY NEW GODDAMN NICE AND SMOOTH WALLS!!!

Late winter
The nights are cold, and the roars of yet another forgotten beast echo from the deeps, but they are of no concern to me.. I have other things to keep me occupied. Foremost on my mind is the doubt if I will be able to finish my project before my short while as overseer comes to an end…

Spring has come, and I shall begin my real challenge in the coming months.. I can only hope THESE LOVING DIRTY PEASANTS KEEP THEIR STUBBY FAT LITTLE FEET ON THE MOVE AND SMOOTH THE DAMN WALLS!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 14, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »

Hey.

Do you smell that?

It's the smell of awesome.

On a side note, I've noticed this threads views have gone up by about 2000 in a short time.  We're getting popular!

[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

Well, I'm not certain, but it MAY have something to do with someone linking to us on the tvtropes dwarf fortress community page.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »

That may or may not have been me. But if it was me, I would totally never ever do it for self-promotion.
Like, ever.

-nervous cough-
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »

What the hey, sign me up for turn #20 there. This is too awesome not to try adding my own mark to it. Yeah, ego: "I helped colonize hell". (now that the hardest part is over).

Also, Woo! Narqulie, I heartily approve of your insistence that not only must we colonize the depths, but dwarves shouldn't have to give up their standards of living to do it.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:13 am »

What the hey, sign me up for turn #20 there. This is too awesome not to try adding my own mark to it. Yeah, ego: "I helped colonize hell". (now that the hardest part is over).

Also, Woo! Narqulie, I heartily approve of your insistence that not only must we colonize the depths, but dwarves shouldn't have to give up their standards of living to do it.

Added!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:09 am »

I should definitely be able to join in if I can get in by next monday or so(somehow I doubt that'll be the case, but whatever). Barring that, it'll be...questionable, to say the least. First days of college and all that.

As an aside, it is okay if I use LNP to play, right? I never was able to get used to the base graphics.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

I should definitely be able to join in if I can get in by next monday or so(somehow I doubt that'll be the case, but whatever). Barring that, it'll be...questionable, to say the least. First days of college and all that.

As an aside, it is okay if I use LNP to play, right? I never was able to get used to the base graphics.

Given the average speed of the fort, It'll take longer than that.  But yes, LNP is completely fine to use.  Most of the players seem to prefer the ASCII but I prefer tilesets.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »

Given the average speed of the fort, It'll take longer than that.  But yes, LNP is completely fine to use.  Most of the players seem to prefer the ASCII but I prefer tilesets.

I'll see what I can do. Put me down for 21, and I'll let you know if I have to pass.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:04 pm »

I was looking at the front page, for a number of reasons, and I noticed Eoganachta was listed as undorfed. He's actually one of the military captain's, so feel free to change that.

*Ahem*

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2011, 07:04:57 am »

Hey all! My year is completed, but I'm still writing the post.. I have some kind of a flu which is giving me a hard time, but I will try my hardest to get the post up before tonight. I will say that the year has been boring and tedious as all hell, and "the grand move" is still a bit underway, mainly in the bedroom department.. Most of the stockpiles are moved tho, so the biggest hauling is nearly done.. If Animarytak takes some time for naming dorfs and stuff, you might want to let it run for a bit to clear the air a bit :)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:15 am »

If you post the save while you finish writing the post, AnimaRytak could get started on dorfing while you're still writing, making the whole process go faster.

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:07 pm »

Just as spring rolls around one of the armorers goes insane, Onul Keskalfidok, and begins work on some wondrous item no doubt.

And makes a single boot. Ok, It IS worth almost 900 000 dorfbucks, but it isn’t moving these  damn supplies!

The year rolls along with minimal interference, but then, at the height of summer shouts of GOBLINS permeate all the day down to the lowest levels. I ordered the fortress to be locked down, having fixed a serious security problem or two before this in anticipation, so we were safe.
The main defenses, namely the bridge filled to the brim with weapon traps held the beast back and slew dozens, if not hundreds of the green bastards, but surely put a dent on the efficiency of the fort, at least on the moral of the poor dwarves.
I did hear of some heroics worth mentioning, as a solitary dwarf showed some guts indeed, as one of our marksdwarves stood on the weapon trap filled bridge, whacking at least 10 goblins dead, only to meet a gruesome end after tripping on his bow. I will not go into much details..

And if that wasn’t trouble enough, the siege just wouldn’t lift, as some of the goblins stood there on a bridge for months, not daring to attack, or flee. I left them there in the lengthening nights as work continued in the dowels of the earth…

[The book abruptly ends in a torn page with blood spills and scars of fire.]
You bag the tattered old book into your sack  and trudge through thawing snow of spring, 764, and walk towards the main gate, up the spiraling staircase and across the bridge scattered with gore and thousands of weapons linked to various springs and mechanisms. Everything is quiet and smells of death. The Doom Fortress. Maybe the forces of evil have finally broken this once great endeavor?

You walk in and see empty hallways and scattered bodies and equipment.

You hear not a sound as you walk through the hallowed halls into the dining room, once a legend throughout the lands, now lays with tables and thrones scattered around with not a crumb of food anywhere. Your eyes well up as the realization hits you.

After it’s nearly quarter of a century of reign, The Mountainhomes have fallen.
You feel a warm draft wafting up one side passage of long stairs leading downwards to the bowels of the earth.

You stumble forwards blindly, terrified to see what the fortress finally succumbed to.

As you go lower, you start to hear a distant clanking. The sounds of battle may haps? The last struggle of your people? Tears rimming your eyes you rush down the last flight of stairs and find yourselves at a grand hall lined with gold, engravings and the finest dwarven crafts you have ever laid your eyes on. 

You hear a scruff voice shout:
“Ohoy sonnyboy! Pull yourself a chair and a tankard and tell us what’s happening up on the surfaces! We hardly hear a word from there anymore with this, the 2.0 of our project, or so Narq calls it.”
“Nar-khii-lie, you brute, how hard is that to pronounce! And get yer stinking feet off that goddamn table, it’s an artifact!”

You are in a bustling dining hall, so long you can hardly see it from end to end, with hundreds of tables and statues, and more importantly dwarves filling it. The sultry smell of freshly prepared food wafts down to your nose from the floor above, and the tink tink of dwarven hammers on adamantine calls out to you from the next room.

A large dwarf walks up to you, snapping you out of your amazed haze.
“Welcome to Deathgate, home of the Doom Burger, can I take your order?”

OOC:

Wow, this was some year :D
So, despite some warnings, I did do the crazy thing and moced a goddamn 170 dwarf strong fortress down some 150 z-levels into a newly build and symmetrical and orderly form. It isn't a 100% complete, most importantly the bedrooms are still in needing of some work, but the first 100 or so are moved. Please make sure to check that the rooms are 'q' d, there were a lot of unassigned room up top. I think most of the industries are ready to start working, adamantine is being smelted already. There are small plots for farms, and a bigger cave to be moistened and then grazed.
Some of the floodgates near the farms are not connected up yet, I left notes I think.

We have a big birdsplosion, and I really don't know how to deal with it on such a scale.. There are a million guineafowls or something roaming the upper levels.. Please, someone, kill them with fire post haste.

And the main enterance.. It is a mess and I have no idea how it works anymore. :D I think I killed some ingenious parts of it, mainly the one that forced dorfs to take a walk outside to get to the fortress proper when coming from down the pits.

Umm.. Not much else..
Oh yeah.. Theres still a siege going on. Or well, they are camped outside, but pose no threat whatsoever.

I had a great time and hope I get to run the fortress for a third time! GOOOOO DEATHGATE!

Save:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4853

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:13 pm »

Edit: Double post..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:33:57 pm by Narqulie »

Narqulie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

Triplepost WOOHOO!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:34:06 pm by Narqulie »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 175