Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832737 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #720 on: September 11, 2011, 11:33:48 pm »

Any particular preferences to gender and labors?

Also, I feel it my duty to report, just in case someone does it in the next five minutes, that we are officially the first reported fortress to have a FARM IN HELL! Details sometime tomorrow evening.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:37:08 pm by scaliper »
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 11, 2011, 11:36:34 pm »

Sorry, mispost. Meant to hit modify, wasn't careful enough.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »

Gender is male. Labors is to frequently appear in the overseer's log doing something batshit insane.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 12, 2011, 12:05:19 am »

I just noticed I got sigg'ed by scaliper

Booyah.  8)
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 12, 2011, 09:08:47 pm »

Can I just randomly download the save for the Hell-Fortress and bend it to my own will? I'd like to see how this has turned out.

Opal, 4th
UristMcHuman wander outside.  Become elite marksdwarf.  Die.
He no die hero.
Did I die already?

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »

Yes.  You walked out of the fort and over the goblins to pick up equipment.  To your credit, you did manage to become an elite marksdwarf before they ruined your shit.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »

Note: I have a tendency to be wordy and embellish a lot. I apologize to all the lazy dwarves out there. Also, I have a bit of a lack of pictures. Not much worth taking pictures of, interestingly, but what there was I generally forgot. Sorry :(

From the Overlord Records of Deathgate
Section The Second: The Rule of Scaliper
I have decided to create an extremely heavy and prohibitively large book of stone tablets to carry around chronicling the various overlordships of Deathgate, so that the efforts of all the fine(and not so fine) overlords are never forgotten, particularly one particularly handsome dwarf full of charisma and awesomeness. For Brevity's sake, I have managed to condense the former rules into one chapter. Poor girl can't stand lengthy documents. Also, records of said rules can be found elsewhere, so a full rerendering is redundant.

ANYWAY, I shall be updating these records spur-of-the-moment, hopefully to the extent that they will read like a stream-of-consciousness, except actually intelligible.

I suppose I should begin with the record of how I became Supreme Overlord. A few days after I arrived from the mountainhomes, some nutty prophet who had declared himself overlord went even more stark-raving-mad and threw himself onto a spear in the Temple to Armok. This, of course, gave me an idea. I promptly picked up a dog and threw it onto a spear. That's what you get for leaving a pile of mandates right outside my door! Anyway, soon after, I got another idea. I decided to take a page from this prophet's book and declare myself Supreme Overlord of Deathgate.I was kind of surprized; I didn't even have to fight anybody for it! I swear, the entire population of this fort is completely lacking in ambition.

That out of the way, I decided that, if I was going to rule this place, I should probably get acquainted with it's layout. That took far longer than it should have. Took me five hours just to find the bathroom, and this after upending *three* kegs of ale. That was distinctly unpleasant. Seriously, this place looks like it was designed by several madmen, all of whom hated eachother's particular style of chaosization. I pointed this out to a passerby, and he told me that that analysis was "pretty accurate." I think I'm beginning to understand why there were no rivals to the overlordship...

Anywhom, upon sort of figuring out my way around, I decided to get going on my project. I had planned on making the sole entrance to the fort into an enormous magma-cannon shaped like a skull, but there's a massive siege of goblins outside, and I don't particularly feel like testing my luck against them. That being the case, I figured I'd go for an official place in the annals of dwarven history. See, I was briefed just before departure on the mission to colonize Hell. I figured I'd really stick it to the demons and create a farm in the pits of death. I'm sure the beautiful smell of sweetpod must make them retch! However, I was recently informed that a forgotten beast has somehow managed to wander into Hell. We have the only entrance I'm aware of, so I'm wondering exactly what's going on here.

So, having found the perfect spot for such a farm, I decided I'd mobilize the military. Dear god was that a mess. A whole bunch of dwarves haphazardly assigned to squadrons with very few semblances of organization that I could detect. There was one listed squad that didn't even have anyone in it. Some of them didn't even have any equipment, most have no training, and I'm pretty sure a number of them weren't told to be sleeping and training in the Barracks. To top it all off, most of them were working on non-military things in their "spare time," and by "spare time," I mean "whole day." So I decided to replan my goals again, and made getting the military up and running my first priority. With very few exceptions, I made sure that all military dwarves had tags attached to them that listed them as soldiers, followed by their associated weapon. Of course, there was one moron who insisted on being called a "Templar," whatever the seven hells that means, but I let it slide. I then sorted them into squads by weapon, and set them all to do absolutely everything in the barracks, where I was sure to make a food stockpile. I also took inventory of our weaponry, and created enough high-grade weaponry to equip all of them. The only exception was the macedwarves, as I placed armor at higher priority than silver maces. They are currently using copper. I also ordered enough armor to be made for the entire force. I figured that, since we have at present 85 adamantine wafers and a bit over 100 ore, we could spare a bit on making sure our warriors survive fights, so I made 21 each of breastplates, mail coats, helms, and greaves. If it turns out we have enough for a bit more, I'll be adding in 42 more mail coats and possibly some caps.

Out of character aside for future reference: If Hell has already been breached, does breaching Hell from another spire spawn another swarm of demons?

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping track of exact dates as of yet, so what has happened up to now(being the time I decided to start compiling annals of my rule, 20th of Felsite, 766) is chronological, but not dated. I shall give a brief overview:
Firstly, a metalsmith claimed a magma forge, slowing down the production of my armor. Poncy little git used a wafer of adamantine to create a COMPLETELY UNADORNED BRACELET!!! I am strongly considering creating a danger room full of large wooden spikes and letting him do a dance until he dies. For the time being, though, he's a great go-to guy for creating trinkets. For my future reference if I'm ever in a particularly sadistic mood, or for future rulers who need a sacrifice to Armok, his name is Athel Dorenang. In the interim, two baby girls were born.

Perhaps the most frustrating point was when another forgotten beast wandered into Hell, this one a freaking snail with wings! Dear Armok, why do you not want my farm to get up and running?! Miltary is training full time, of course, but it'll still be a while before they're ready for such a beast, especially with it's poisonous bite. Perhaps I should just release a couple goblins down there, see how they do. At the very least, they should at least provide me with a bit of a distraction...

As a temporary substitute for a full-scale farm, I have decided to make two ornate rows of sweet-pod plants centered around the entrance to Hell. Those were completed in due course, and I shall be engraving a sketch in this book the next time I visit the area. I am officially the first dwarf in recorded history to set up a farm in Hell!

Just yesterday, my armor orders were all completed. I have yet to assign gear to all of the squads, but it will be done very soon. As well, a baby boy was born.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:23:36 pm by scaliper »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:55 pm »

You got Boatmurdered at the top of the post, I'm a bit confused.

Also, no it shouldn't spawn more demons.  So feel free to breach more spires. Just make sure you seal em off soon after since it opens us up to more clown fun.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »

You got Boatmurdered at the top of the post, I'm a bit confused.

Also, no it shouldn't spawn more demons.  So feel free to breach more spires. Just make sure you seal em off soon after since it opens us up to more clown fun.
Oh, naughty words. I always get it's probably that I'm so used to reading about the mad chaos that was Boatmurdered that I associate mad chaos with Boatmurdered ;) It shall be corrected soon.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:31 pm »

Haha.

I think it speaks well of Deathgate that it can be confused with Boatmurdered at times.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:57 am »

Except that deathgate survived the demons while boatmurdered didn't...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:38 am »

Moron?  ;)

Oh, and I think Boatmurdered died because it was on fire, due to lava. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 13, 2011, 01:08:49 am »

Boatmurder died a slow, agonizing death from goblins, elephants, magma, and a flaming Sankis.

It was a good death.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:10:47 am by AnimaRytak »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 13, 2011, 01:10:12 am »

If Deathgate ( hypothetically ) dies, how do you think it will end?  Just another clown invasion, or sumtin else? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:50 am »

A dwarfy end would involve slaughter.  Something on the level of Headshoots or Syrupleaf or Battlefailed, with everyone dieing in a glorious slaughter. 

Clowns are a non-threat mostly.  There's only 3-4 of them at any one time and, although deadly, could probably be handled by our military with good tactics.  And, at the moment, they cant get into the fort at all since I've completed sealed Hell off from the above-world.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 175