Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832644 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #750 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:28 pm »

I just wanted to say you're all mad loons for wanting to put a fortress in hell.  That said, I have my own scheme for the HFS - I'm making plans to take it and wall it off around the perimeter.  Turn hell into a nice little suburb.

Well, thank you for the loon complement. And I know I'd like to see your hell-burb when it's finished. Also, include a death tally.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:39 am »

I just wanted to say you're all mad loons for wanting to put a fortress in hell.  That said, I have my own scheme for the HFS - I'm making plans to take it and wall it off around the perimeter.  Turn hell into a nice little suburb.

Well, thank you for the loon complement. And I know I'd like to see your hell-burb when it's finished. Also, include a death tally.

Death tally? You say that like you expect... Oh, sorry. We're invading hell, of course there will be casualties.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:34 am »

Hope I'm not distracting you guys from your own hellish incursion  :-\.  My own plan consists of about 20 dwarves, about 5 of which are legendary axelords and one spearlord who's so deadly his notable kill list scrolls down. (I want a larger militia, but I'm down to 80-odd dwarves due to various incidents and beserking, and for some reason migrants don't want to come to a fort that's lost about 50-odd dwarves in the last three years to elves and whatnot (not my fault, they wandered outside to loot, got killed, repeat, before i found the door i didn't lock).

Oh, and I've got a giant pillar overhanging the spire i'm digging into.  Plan is for them to rise into a room with an adamantine door before using it to deal with, hopefully, a good portion of the intial wave, then station the troops around the hole as i build stairs down.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »

I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, my understanding is that you may or may not be able to carve constructed walls into fortifications. I'll have to check up on that. Anyway, I'll post a few pictures of the bunker if I can manage to get the screenshot process working along with my next update, probably tomorrow(although possibly tonight).
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 14, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »

Unfortunately, my understanding is that you may or may not be able to carve constructed walls into fortifications.

You can.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24:34 am »

be wary of deconstructing a fortification above a fortification. it does a bug were the floor dissapears.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 16, 2011, 06:43:33 pm »

be wary of deconstructing a fortification above a fortification. it does a bug were the floor dissapears.

And the material used to make the top fortication often drops down and gets stuck in the bottom one.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 17, 2011, 12:56:16 am »

Arighty, sorry for not updating. Computer decided to really be weird. Fun(but not Fun) stuff happened, including the death of a forgotten beast, a demon, and the creation of a sizable farm in Hell. And the pissing off of merchants. I'll try to update tomorrow when I can figure out where my comuter stores screenies. In the meantime, the fortress is alive and well.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 17, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »

20 Felsite, 766:
My armor order has been completed! All soldiers are now on their way to pick up adamantine mail, plate, greaves, and helms! Oh joyous day, calou, calay!
Spring ended upon every soldier being equipped.

11 Hematite:
Oddest thing, some random furnace operator going by the name of "Limul Ulingzon" died of thirst on the stairs. Not entirely sure what that was about.
On a brighter note, I've ordered the marksdwarves into the barracks, and had a few fortifications carved out of the walls. We shall kill as many beasts as it takes to expand the bunker!
Also, the goblin siege appears to have packed up and left. I guess we were just too imposing for them.

21 Hematite:
Only one marksdwarf, a "Stakud Mogshumstukos," had the brains to show up, but he single-handedly shot down the flying snail with four bolts. He is awesome. He shall have promotion as soon as promotions are possible.

23 Hematite: I have begun work on the top level of a three-story addition for the purpose of setting a farm up. The top layer will act as a roof, the middle layer will be the area from which water can be dumped(after which it will be an addition for any purposes deemed necessary, perhaps food and booze production), and the lower area will be the farm.

2 Malachite:
The perimeter of the top layer has been walled off and floored. It was rather non-climactic, really. No attacks. I imagine because the beasties were all scared off by what happened to the snail. This should allow work on the middle layer without having to worry about demons and beasts from above. The middle layer has now been begun.

11 Malachite:
The middle layer has been complete! All that remains is the admittedly more dangerous ground level. Fortunately, we should only need two straight walls to enclose the area. Work begins apace.
Also, a woodcutter had a son. Just what we need. Maybe we should build a baby cannon for sieges...

18 Malachite:
The enclosure has been finished! I am beginning work to pour water down from above. It's slow going, considering the distance, but I suppose that's the problem of working in Hell. I'm trying to think of the best way to add a water system to this area, but I'll never be able to actually set anything up...Also, there is one small area wherein there is forgotten beast remains, and I don't want to mess with that. Should be easy enough to avoid, though.

25 Malachite:
Remember what I said about the layout of this fort? The same applies to the entrance. Some sticky-notes were attached to the levers controlling the entrance, but it was a bit hazy. I considered re-reading some of the old overseers' writings, but I decided it would be more expedient to create a small opening in the side of the mountain that could be walled off. The reason, of course, is that we just got an influx of immigrants.

17 Galena:
A human caravan has arrived. Bloody demon-worshipping ingrates. Maybe they'll be attacked by goblins or something...

1 Limestone:
An enormous slavering crab with a trunk and poisonous spit showed up today. Wonderful. Also, the merchants managed to make it through the tunnel I had forgotten to stop up. I shall have to remember to do that when they leave...In the meantime, I recall hearing that one of the previous leaders gave human merchants the finger, them being ruled by a demon and all. I think I shall have to take all their things.

12 Limestone:
The watering of the farm is almost complete. The final bucketful is on it's way. I had the old farm torn up for aesthetic purposes. It is being paved to remove the mud, and it will then be re-smoothed and re-engraved. The only point I'll be avoiding is where the old forgotten beast part is. I'm not taking that risk.

18 Limestone:
The merchants have finally gone and buggered off, and the wall was closed behind them. Huzzah!
Also, I am getting a most intriguing report...In another cavern layer, another forgotten beast. Also with poisonous spit. Delightful.

22 Limestone:
Some more migrants showed up. I had a section of wall removed and then rebuilt to allow them through. We are now up to a 198-dwarf population. Also, I have noticed that the "mayor" is getting pissed because his room isn't fancy enough, so I have ordered one dug out for him near the tree farm. Useless sod...

27 Limestone:
Just great, another forgotten beast has somehow found its way into Hell, throwing a monkey-wrench into my further expansion plans. This one's an enormous earthworm with a square shell and long, shaggy...pumpkin hair?! Seriously?! The hell?! And again with the toxic spit! What in Armok's Beard is wrong with these beasts?!
However, the big news of the day is that the farm is fully watered! Now to build it! Still trying to decide what to plant...I'm thinking perhaps a little bit of wheat, because the color is so non-Hellish. Then again, plump-helmets are so fast-growing and full of life that they're a sort of antithesis to Hell...Oh, decisions, decisions!

7 Sandstone:
The farm has been completed! That took far longer than I had hoped, but it happens. It is, after all, a rather sizable walk.

During this interim, a number of areas were created that it would benefit future rulers to know about, and historians tracking the progress of my great reign. I have therefore included sketches of all three current layers of the bunker, the noble room as it currently stands, and the tunnel for entry/exit for people too lazy to figure out the entrance:

Bunker Level 1:

Bunker Level 2:

Bunker Level 3:

The Noble Rooms:

The passage, now walled off:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:44:44 pm by scaliper »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 17, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »

The lever to the bridge should be labeled "Outer Bridge" if I recall correctly.

But honestly I don't know.  I built the damn thing and even I don't understand the madness. 
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »

Yeah, thing is there are like three or five bridges all necessary to entering the fort(at least as far as I can tell), and they all seem to have a seperate lever. At the same time, some of the levers are labeled in such a way as to make it a bit ambiguous as to whether they are connected to a bridge necessary for entering. I decided not to risk spilling lava all over the migrants and just went with that tunnel. I shall probably begin setting up another entrance at the same time I start working on expanding the bunker, meaning as soon as I next start the game up, probably tomorrow. That said, I've only got a bit under two seasons left, so neither is likely to be completed, especially considering the fact that part of my plan involves setting up a second bunker and connecting the two.

Luzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 17, 2011, 10:36:23 pm »

We need a Demon versus Forgotten Beast coliseum built, for Dwarven education and enrichment.  And forgotten beast meat.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »

Did I get that SCIENCE dwarf, by the way?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:14 am »

I think Deathgate needs some community interaction.  Like artwork and such.

If, for no other reason, to keep the peanut gallery entertained.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:05 am »

Just wanted to share because someone did ask, my own assault on Hell failed.  Mainly because the Dwarven Civ went extinct and i only had 49 dwarves left.  So i opened hell anyway and went down fighting. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93485.0

I also have a dare for your fort, if it's feasible;  Channel down all the way from the surface, into hell over the farm, and grow sunberries or strawberries as the final insult to the local demons.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 175