Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832639 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #855 on: October 05, 2011, 03:43:50 am »

Real life is on me too, but I should have an update tomorrow.  I've managed to play into Early Summer.

What noise?  That was just the wind.  Hell is breezy.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 05, 2011, 05:11:00 am »

I've taken to exploring Deathgate in adventure mode.

Took forever to get in.  Had to jump into the refuse area since I left the gate closed.  Managed to get some adamantine armor and a bunch of weapons.  Good god this place is hell.  Goblins everywhere, Forgotten beasts running around. 

And I'm just on the surface.

I tried three times. All from different sides. Each time the game froze for half a minute as i approched and I was then killed by the same forgotten beast, three times. You're doing better than I am.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 05, 2011, 06:23:37 am »

I've taken to exploring Deathgate in adventure mode.

Took forever to get in.  Had to jump into the refuse area since I left the gate closed.  Managed to get some adamantine armor and a bunch of weapons.  Good god this place is hell.  Goblins everywhere, Forgotten beasts running around. 

And I'm just on the surface.

I tried three times. All from different sides. Each time the game froze for half a minute as i approched and I was then killed by the same forgotten beast, three times. You're doing better than I am.

I cheated actually, since I wanted to explore the place immediately instead of grinding.
Even as an Axe Lord, it wasn't easy.

Until I found a masterwork adamantine battle axe.

With the bridge up, there is no way into Deathgate that doesn't kill you.  I ended up going through the old doom bridge path by adjusting my location to move past a mushroom that blocked the path.

Oddly enough, the inside of Deathgate was nearly empty.  No corpses, no items.  Perhaps it because everything was locked up tighter than a drum.  I did try to restart BATTERY while I was at it for giggles.  Alas, I haven't found my way into Lower Deathgate and its occuring to me this place was, in fact, designed by insane people.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 05, 2011, 06:25:34 am »

It's awesome, even when abandoned, the sheer majesty and layout of Deathgate can still kill you.  What obstacles exactly did you encounter?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:45 am »

Well, within about 15 seconds of being there, a troll punted me off the mountain and into a ravine.
I only survived by going into a coma.

After going though a small army of goblins, and about half a dozen forgotten beasts, I managed to get inside.

I think if I re-abandoned with the main entrance open, I'd get more even results instead of everything being on the surface.  I must test this theory.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 05, 2011, 06:40:20 am »

I like to think of Deathgate as a gigantic organism.  The dwarves are the blood cells, both red and white.  Stuff like the BATTEREY are organs, and the demons can be seen as a virus.  Interestingly, whatever conquers Deathgate also assumes its duties as Deathgate's defense mechanism, such as the goblin army, punting troll, and the numerous FBs. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:51 pm »

Mitchewawa the Carpenter appreciates art, strives for excellence and likes sasquatches for their reclusive nature.
Velard is a fighting mining mason with two picks, an iron will and a love of chickens for their clucking.
Frying Doby is a traumatized Brewing Butcher-Cook who is entranced by riddles and puzzles and talks to inanimate objects.
The mighty Blead is a recent draftee who is very slow to anger and finds helping others rewarding.

Vector Qwerk made a dash for the stairs when he saw the Overseer's body smash against the wall in the far room, but found himself surrounded and devoured by the demonic invaders.

As the military scrambles downstairs to confront the threat, civilians flee in every direction but the correct one.

As more demons come to chase the fools deeper into Hell, Ngogngo the Worm leaps at the soldiers charging forth.  Blade Master and Umune are neatly dissected limb by limb under the monster's slavering jaws.  The Sky Blue Fiend sweeps a clawed hand across the throat of Jigamor, who bleeds freely unto motionlessness.

Beyond in the infernal cavern, the civilians are quickly slaughtered, and their slayer returns to the defeated swordsdwarf Grazz, to set about beating him over the head with the dwarf's own boot.

A few of the civilians bravely turn to face their foes, but only in vain.

One dwarf's screams carry across the barren hill to the outpost, slowly fading and overshadowed by new cries from above.

The military is largely maimed or wounded within after a long battle with little gain to show.  Demoralized, the remnants flee upstairs, the stench of death following after them.

Undeterred, the monsters below continue their rampage.

An experienced soldier named Juana takes command of the remaining military.  After order is restored to the ranks, a second charge is made.  The deathly worm is overcome in a flurry of hammers and swords, but not before several recruits are parted from hands and legs.

Drawn by the tortured wailing of Grazz, the dwarves continue their march into Hell.

Soon the demons meet their adamantine doom, but it is too late for the swordsdwarf.

Flames consume the body of Grazz as he dies, and the military returns to the fortress proper to order the gates outside to be shut.  By the end of the day, thirteen have paid the ultimate price for complacency.

Fourteen.

For now, Deathgate is safe, if directionless and broken.  Such safety is dearly won.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 05, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »

If you wall off the ground-level edges of the map near your hell bunker, it should make things marginally safer for you down there.  Oh, and did That Aussie Dwarf survive?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:13 pm »

Did I ever get that science dwarf?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

Ole' Deathgate's military just aint what it used to be. 

If any of our dwarves are level 4 teachers and have weapon skills, we should put them in training squads to make new soldiers.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 05, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »

How's The Mad Fool doing?
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:10 pm »

I'd assume he's very busy at this point.

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 05, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »

nooooooo my hammerdwarf, at least he died attempting to crush somethings skull in.

but all is well for fear will always remain.

can i request not 2 be buried so i haunt deathgate for all of time? if not redorf?

perhaps throw my corpse down the animal pit of death or something equally gruesome and traumatic involving the beloved temple to armok
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:35:23 pm by yourfears »
voice of evil reason

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:02 pm »

can i request not 2 be buried so i haunt deathgate for all of time? if not redorf?

perhaps throw my corpse down the animal pit of death or something equally gruesome and traumatic involving the beloved temple to armok

I'm not sure if he's buried yet, but I'll be sure and desecrate his grave if he has one.

I'd assume he's very busy at this point.

The Mad Fool is quite content and too busy picking up martial equipment to see to the injured.  A few other dwarves have health care but it doesn't seem like anyone's actually getting treated.  The Faith Healer evaluated all of them in the hospital, but that's it.

Ole' Deathgate's military just aint what it used to be. 

If any of our dwarves are level 4 teachers and have weapon skills, we should put them in training squads to make new soldiers.

I've made new squads and reformed the old ones, but haven't optimized for teachers yet.  First we needed a force armed and ready to fight, after Ngogngo and Poisonsneak slaughtered everyone.

Did I ever get that science dwarf?

Yes, he recently chopped a gorlak to death near the trade depot.

If you wall off the ground-level edges of the map near your hell bunker, it should make things marginally safer for you down there.  Oh, and did That Aussie Dwarf survive?

The Noticer of Things is happy and walking around with masterwork leather boots and an adamantine sword.  The named dwarves are in a squad so they'll wield weapons of choice and silk clothing.  Building in Hell will be pretty risky until the new recruits are a bit less pathetic.  I extended the outer wall of the bunker a little and built a new bridge, that's all so far.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:20 am »

Did Eoganachta died in the slaughter? Last I saw s/he was stationed in the Hell outpost.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 175