Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837548 times)

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:27 am »

Man, I'd jump in... if I had *any* free time these days.

On a related note (having skipped about 30 pages of updates):  This makes me ponder the feasibility of casting Hell in obsidian.

Or would that be to cheap?
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2011, 10:46:21 am »

Encasing Hell in a layer of obsidian may be a lot harder than it sounds.
First of all, there's all the plumbing you have to do to get the water down to magma sea level and actually do so safely.
Second, you'll have to get water, magma, and dwarf transportation staircase to all squeeze through that narrow adamantine pipe without having any one of them interfere with each other.
Third, you need some way to distribute the water and magma around otherwise the obsidian buildup might just pile up and start clogging your pipes.

And that's not even considering the infinite number of demons floating around to scare your dwarves away from work at any time.

But it would be a very dwarven endeavor to try and do so.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

And thats saying a lot, because it sounds quite difficult.
Second, you'll have to get water, magma, and dwarf transportation staircase to all squeeze through that narrow adamantine pipe without having any one of them interfere with each other.
You might be able to use the same spire-pipe for all three, just have three different pipes leading in at the top of the spire, each with its own floodgate. 

So you can open up the magma pipe and flood the first z-level of hell with magma.  Then shut off the magma pipe and let the spire drain.  Then open up the water pipe and cast the first z-level.  Then shut off the water pipe and let the spire drain.  Then you could unlock the "dwarf pipe" (ie. a hallway to the fort proper) so dwarfs can run around doing whatever you need done in hell.  Then you can rinse and repeat!

I'm sure all that is much easier said than done!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

First of all, there's all the plumbing you have to do to get the water down to magma sea level and actually do so safely.
Third, you need some way to distribute the water and magma around otherwise the obsidian buildup might just pile up and start clogging your pipes.

And that's not even considering the infinite number of demons floating around to scare your dwarves away from work at any time.

But it would be a very dwarven endeavor to try and do so.

Demons aren't _quite_ infinite - a group spawns periodically on the edge of the map, but they stay there if nothing bothers them.  You're mostly dealing with the Clown Car-spawned demons, I think.

Casting Hell in Obsidian IS doable, but labor-intensive.  You have repeatedly alternate between manually pouring magma and water layer-by-layer for each level.  You'd also need to build a wall around the edge of Hell to seal it off and keep the liquids flowing out, but I mean, who'd be crazy enough to wall off Hell?

>.>

<.<

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

Casting Hell in Obsidian IS doable, but labor-intensive.  You have repeatedly alternate between manually pouring magma and water layer-by-layer for each level.  You'd also need to build a wall around the edge of Hell to seal it off and keep the liquids flowing out, but I mean, who'd be crazy enough to wall off Hell?

Eheheheheheheeee...  well, I am that crazy... but not quite that impractical.  Maybe.

I didn't factor in the off-flow at the map edge though, and I've been away from DF in general for so long I'm not sure how to compensate for that ... for now.  But my gears are turning... so I might just do something...

Well, at any rate, I'm going to download the last save and see how this monster runs on my PC.  If I can get tolerable performance, I may yet put in for a go myself, but with my scheduled I only get 1 free day a week, so it has to run well enough I can crack out my whole go in one sitting.
is he okay?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:37 am »

Eheheheheheheeee...  well, I am that crazy... but not quite that impractical.  Maybe.

Methinks someone missed the hint... *cough*read about the checkerboard in my sig*cough*

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 09, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

But a key thing about your checkerboard, awesome as it is, was that is was built above hell in a limited area region.

I do see your point though AussieGuy, so peace

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2011, 06:01:52 pm »

Yes yes, we all know you're the crazy bastard with the anti-clown car device and the hell colony.  :P

edit: oh yeah, and the wall of course!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:03:45 pm by Xenogenic »
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »

Yes yes, we all know you're the crazy bastard with the anti-clown car device and the hell colony.  :P

edit: oh yeah, and the wall of course!

Colony?  COLONY?!  It's a Luxury Resort, I thinak you very much!  8)

But a key thing about your checkerboard, awesome as it is, was that is was built above hell in a limited area region.

I do see your point though AussieGuy, so peace

It'll kill a clown car of any size as it relies on the basic "we must travel upwards" pathing to trap them.

Oh, and if you need to open a second adamantine spire for magma/water, it's not as dangerous as you think.  Breaching another spire won't trigger a second Clown Car.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1029 on: November 10, 2011, 03:04:33 am »

Hrm... Well, I have a plan that should work... Won't fill the top level... But should be able to cast a ring to enclose alot of it... no telling how long it would take though.   Might do a test this weekend just to see if it can be done in a sane time frame.   And that it won't melt my pc...

On an unrelated note, I noticed an opening to the caverns... Level -96 iirc, right next to a lake.

EDIT:
It's doable.  Took me the better part of a year to get the plumbing in, but alot of that was due to mistakes on my part (been a few years since I touched DF).   Still, I only got to the point where I was getting fluids going in, so still hard to say just how long it would take to fill each layer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:38:31 am by Eidalac »
is he okay?

Alex the Destroyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 12, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Journal of the Overseer:

5 Malachite

With the fortress spread across such a large area it has been taking ridiculously long to get anything done. I've ordered the workers to straighten out the main staircase. I've also enacted a continual policy of evicting the upper tenants from their homes. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I've also discovered what the Mad Fool has been up to these past couple of months. He believes he may have just found a way to bring back dead dwarves! I've ordered him to dig out the corpses of our greatest dwarven heroes to bring them back into service for Deathgate. This will be GLORIOUS!

7 Malachite

The military has just been reorganized for hopefully the last time. I've reduced the number of our forces but what we have left is the best and the brightest of Deathgate serving.

Follows is a list of the six squads of Deathgate:

Ultimate Bolts led by legendary marksdwarf Germanye
Waning Swords by talented sword dwarf Eoganachta
Rough Savages led by novice axedwarf Bulldog
Matched Hatchets by novice axedwarf Sarus
Halls of Loving led by skilled fighter and sword dwarf Tacobell
Bronze Tundras led by Tundra, a proficient macedwarf

2 Galena

Two dwarves have taken on names to honor the dead. A friend of the warrior Baelor has named himself Rakust Baelor and has vowed to avenge Baelor's death and a mason named Ezum now insists on being called Mideg in honor of the dwarf of the same name.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to write this down but a dwarf named Al has complained of miasma and the lack of dining tables.

I believe I've spent enough time writing. Back to the work.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:30 am »

thatsssssss a very nice military you got there. (imitates demon noises)

Alex the Destroyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 13, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »

Tell me about it. ATM there's a steam demon in middle of the fortress. I just scrambled the military right before I decided to stop playing for the day.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 13, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »

Tell me about it. ATM there's a steam demon in middle of the fortress. I just scrambled the military right before I decided to stop playing for the day.

Steam Demons aren't dangerous.  You hack them open, there's a bit of harmless warm steam and they're done.  Boiling Demons are the deadly ones.  You pop them, everyone nearby gets boiling-hot steam in the face.

Alex the Destroyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 14, 2011, 03:00:56 am »

Steam Demons aren't dangerous.  You hack them open, there's a bit of harmless warm steam and they're done.  Boiling Demons are the deadly ones.  You pop them, everyone nearby gets boiling-hot steam in the face.

Well, that's good. I was wondering how the soldiers were supposed to kill him if he was made of steam.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 175