Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837110 times)

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1065 on: November 24, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »

Or we could actually write it all in Elder Futhark, just to make it even more obscure (and therefore awesome).
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 24, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »

Hey, I'm ready for my turn when it comes around. I've gotten my things in order and I'll be ready to oversee Deathgate!
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Alex the Destroyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »

So, things have been quite frustrating this week in the fort! But with a lot of progress.

Not knowing everything that it entailed I started using dfreveal to plan out where future drainage and magma tunnels were going to go. I accidentally closed the game without exiting the program leaving the whole fort revealed and unable to revert back! Then after looking up the problem I found out that dfreveal is known for causing saves to be buggy! WHOOooops! :-[

Nevertheless though, in true Dwarf Fortress fashion I persevered redownloaded the reuploaded the save and redid everything from scratch and redid my entire turn in a couple days! This time with no dfreveal!

This time around the Magma Hospital is twice as awesome, the military is twice as epic, and about a half about a half a dozen more dwarfs were slayed by goblins on the bridge while I was too lazy and too occupied with getting the Hospital right to do anything. Besides that everything went exactly the same way and was overall pretty eventful.

I'm just gonna finish up doing the the dorfs and redorfs and labeling everything for the next overseer so I can upload the save. Seriously right now I have the lever and mechanisms set up to explode the floor of a lake in a cavern filled with forgotten beasts to fill the water pipes with water. The next overseer will either have to finish the plumbing system before pulling it or not pull it at all.

So I'm pretty excited to give the fort to the next overseer and just so everyone knows, nothing is ruined and everything is still epic!  :D

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 03, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »

Alright.  Deathgate has been going uncomfortably slow.

Alex, you've had a month for your turn.  I'm going to have to ask you to wrap it up.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Alex the Destroyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:50 pm »

Deathgate save and map up:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5239

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10834-deathgate

I apologize for dragging this out so much. Things got busy on my end.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 04, 2011, 08:50:53 am »

Yay its progressing again!

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 04, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Great! I didn't want to say anything but as a loyal follower (checking daily) this was indeed getting a little slow.
NOT a friendly dwarf.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 04, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »

I'll get started. No bailing this time; exams are over.

E: First glance and I'm about to curl into a ball and weep.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:24:45 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 04, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »

The life of Mitchewawa, Ruler of Deathgate

Prologue; Two Hundred and Seventy Fucking Six

The name's Mitchewawa Fencedparched. I come from a long line of underachievers, scoundrels, grunts and haulers. We 'Ustuthfashs' were not a wealthy family; with only a basic room and one bed between the family. I now live in Deathgate... I originally came with little skill in my work, and all those who had little training or a useless profession were shipped off to die in a particularly extravagant and expensive fashion, such is the way of us dwarfs. But we did not die. Not all of us. With great toil came great reward, and we penetrated hell as per the King's orders.

And through the masterminded work of the previous overseers, who were the most sane between all of us, we prospered. We survived. We established a foothold in the second world; the Underworld, the World Below, Hell. With great organisation and foresight, our great dwarven engineering and the tenacity of our warriors proved just enough of a match for the great demons.

This has been a triumph, yet also a glaring failure. We have lost exactly 276 dwarfs! Our current population is a respectable 148; just under a third of the population to pass through this place. We spat in the face of our King and his suicide mission, we spat in the face of demons and we spat in the face of the Gods themselves as a cult of Armok has sprung from within us due to demonic influence. Our saliva has caused us a lot of pain and death.

But enough of the past; today is now. Year 769, 3rd Granite. And on this day, in a fit of... dwarven enthusiasm... I have been elected to oversee this place. I have no experience in leadership, I am but an expert (yet humble) carpenter. I can't help but feel someone is playing a trick on me, but no, this is real. People greet me in the corridors as 'Boss', something I thought our family would never have been called. I do wonder why the previous overseer stepped down from command though... Perhaps I was chosen for my extraordinary niceness?

Okay, I'm the boss now. Lets hope I can keep this place together for the person who gets elected next! You know, for someone who has lived here for years I haven't actually been to many places. Mostly just my room, the workshop and wood stockpile.
I'm looking at the maps of this place right now...

What the fuck!?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:12:46 pm by Mitchewawa »

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 04, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »

First glance and I'm about to curl into a ball and weep.

Don't worry.  So is physics, so you're not alone.
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 04, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

Deathgate sits somewhere between an M.C Escher painting and an architectural eldritch abomination in terms of mind-fuckery. 

Don't try to understand the madness that is Terry, just smile and nod at it.

Great! I didn't want to say anything but as a loyal follower (checking daily) this was indeed getting a little slow.

I take full responsibility for that.  I was doing NaNoWriMo for the bulk of November and it (plus Skyrim) kept me rather occupied.  NaNo is over, and i finished it, so I can once again dedicate more time to our beloved fortress.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:30:34 pm by AnimaRytak »
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

Chapter 1: What the fuck?

I was wrong! WRONG. This place wasn't overseen by the smartest among us; this place was run by the most retarded of us! Corridors to nowhere, nonsensical notes, ghosts everywhere, unnecessarily long corridors and stairs, and for only what I can describe as a perpetual hydro-motion machine. The front door doesn't make sense. The top level doesn't make sense. The stairs don't make sense. Nothing makes sense.

I've done a doodle of my current mood:  :(

3rd Granite:
Why is there lava at the bottom of our front door?

4th Granite:
Seems the Captain of the Guard has a peasant's room. He feels quite unhappy. What a bitch. I'll give him a better room and make a note that 'Blead' is a whiner...

Where the fuck are the free noble rooms? Ugh.

8th Granite:
Still haven't found it.

Have we even colonised hell? We've got like, one farm and one full tomb. I thought we had a whole city down there! I know my mission; I will expand our halls, atleast enough to, I don't know, do stuff. Perhaps we could shift our industry down there eventually. Then our housing. More farms. We could even cut off all access to above ground!

Actually now that I look, we've got everything juuust above hell. Not quite what I hoped for, but it's still pretty impressive.

Where the hell Deathgate is the old Captain's rooms?!

9th Granite:
I don't really have an aim; this fortress seems to be thriving. I guess all I can do is push forward, and take more of Hell's sand! For the Dwarfs! The greatest race!

There seems to be no idlers. I have no idea what they're doing that's making them so busy, but I don't care.

What's a supernaut?

10th Granite:
Okay, I'm done looking around. I'll just not touch anything. Too scary. I know I'll cave in the world. Speaking of which...

I'll let this speak for itself.

This is a pond designation. I think someone is either trying to carry lava out with a bucket, or put water in. Either way it didn't look like it worked.

Stocks account for 245 raw adamantine, 30 wafers, and no adamantine strands. Well done. I'm fixing that.

Turns out there's only one craftdwarf shop in the main centre (-140z). I'm adding 2 more.

Seriously, where is the old Captain's room?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:15:52 pm by Mitchewawa »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 04, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »

Damn, the insanity is working overtime today.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 05, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »

Chapter 2: Spoogemonsters

Coins you toss
weighted by your fear of loss
Both sides are heads
The tails between your legs

I've devised a set of plans for myself, which I hope people in the fortress will help contribute to. I do not want to be known as the babysitter overseer.

1. Expand our hold in hell. The problem with this is that we have the housing and industry just above, so for the most part anything we hold down below will be either defence or stockpiles. I need ideas.

2. Find that fucking room for Blead.

3. Fucked if I know. Keep the place alive.

10th Granite:
A lot of unhappy denizens. Perhaps I should make a nice statue hall? In hell? That'd be dangerous. One of the saddies is a legendary armoursmith; I sure hope enough people stop dying long enough for him to snap out of his angst.

Tear drops can be seen across the page

I cancelled the mining of what appears to be someone else's room. A previous overseer's, I imagine. He won't be needing it, the selfish jerk.

The bookkeeper doesn't have an office. Why? Who knows. I just plonked a chair down wherever there was room. It seems that's how the rest of the fortress functions anyway.

13th Granite:
I found a sword made out of the skin and bone of a demon. That is awesome. I wonder how this came to be? Perhaps a demon was made of stone. Perhaps it was made of wood! Or metal! Regardless, such a sword is not to be tampered with. It's evil.

Holy fucking shit, an Assassin Bug Fiend! What a cool name. Good thing we're safe...
Wait never mind. The previous overseers have not put a roof over the front-most room in hell. I guess I'll do that. All hail Mitch, builder of roofs! A true carpenter god!

Drafted 3 dwarfs into the military's free spaces; now we have 4 complete squads of 10.

I couldn't find Blead a new room, so I just made my own. Pretty, don't you think?

15th Granite:
I have to be impressed with some of the engineering and architecture of this place. I found a tree farm in a place where I didn't even know there could be water! There's a farm plot in hell; how they got water there is beyond me.

I can't believe no one has done this before.

19th Granite:
I have made a great discovery! On the construction of a roof for our hell-post, I accidentally ordered a floor built over one of those glowing pits. It turns out that construction over these strange glowing pits is in fact, possible. I will make myself some nice little chambers in this greatly lit area!

I have great plans!

Here you see the ground floor, and soon I shall expand our defensive section here. Repeater spikes, perhaps a meatshield of pets and a drawbridge if all else fails.

This area can be used for whatever. Perhaps a statue garden? Moods seem a bit down. Yeah, a statue garden...
Oh! And archers, who can rain fire down on the demons from fortifications. Perhaps I shall add drawbridge blockers behind the fortifications in case of a firebreathing ass-hat shooting our marksdwarfs.

A living area? In hell? For me? I shouldn't have!

1st Slate:

Uh oh, Omus is rapidy (relative to the speed of anything that happens in this place), heading toward our front gates. A towering one-eyed spider, with wings! I think we need to be beware of of it's poisonous bite!

Fuck that, I'm taking a nap. Send in the grunts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:16:22 pm by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 06, 2011, 05:30:12 am »

Quote from: Mitchewawa link=topic=84451.msg2812808#msg2812808

[b
19th Granite:[/b]
I have made a great discovery! On the construction of a roof for our hell-post, I accidentally ordered a floor built over one of those glowing pits. It turns out that construction over these strange glowing pits is in fact, possible. I will make myself some nice little chambers in this greatly lit area!

Indeed you can.  There is however a bug - you can build atop a Glowing Pit from the side, but you cant build down onto one with an Up Stair even though there's a staircase above it leading downwards.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 175