Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832697 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1200 on: January 09, 2012, 12:58:37 am »

I can take my turn, but I'll probably have to wait just a day or so. My folks want to completely reorganize the house tomorrow, and I'm the heavy lifter of the family. I'll download the save tonight and look around, though. Is the one on the front page up-to-date?

EDIT: Or I would get the save tonight, if DFFD weren't down.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:30:14 am by Eldes »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 09, 2012, 03:35:05 am »

Yeah, it's up to date.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 10, 2012, 12:49:12 am »

OK, so I'm just about ready to start, and I cannot for the love of the GODS, figure this den of madness out. There are corridors that seem to be connected to nothing, corridors that lead nowhere, massive forbidden stone and ore piles outdoors, pointlessly long ramps to hell, trash littered in the corridors, and random fowl running loose crapping on the furniture.

My goals for this year is to keep everything afloat, perhaps add a wing or two onto the hellfort, but other than that, I freely admit that I have no frakking idea what is going on here.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 10, 2012, 01:36:55 am »

OK, so I'm just about ready to start, and I cannot for the love of the GODS, figure this den of madness out. There are corridors that seem to be connected to nothing, corridors that lead nowhere, massive forbidden stone and ore piles outdoors, pointlessly long ramps to hell, trash littered in the corridors, and random fowl running loose crapping on the furniture.

Wait, wait, wait.  We have fowl crapping on the furniture?  I didn't know we had it so good.  I thought we were down to demons leaving ashen dwarf remains on the furniture

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:06 pm »

I have a treat planned for you guys... It's either a bucket of tiny, poisonous cave scorpions, or something really cool and not deadly. Now one sounds dorfy, but would you REALLY like seeing that?

E: typo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:10:42 pm by Velard »
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 10, 2012, 06:40:25 pm »

OK, so I started trying to expand the hell-fort a little, since there were no demons on the map.

I am apparently very bad at fighting demons. 2 monkey brutes with deadly dust managed to kill about 5 soldiers, and wound several others.

Also, on a not-entirely unrelated point, would it be OK to use DFHack just for the clean map tool - to get rid of the random piles of blood everywhere? My FPS is hovering just under 20 most of the time, and that usually works in my other forts.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:50 am »

:o

I want a turn, can I haz?
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »

OK, a little over one season has proven to me that I am absolutely terrible at running this kind of fortress. I'll post what I've done, and a save (near the start of summer), and someone else can finish it. If I keep going, the entire fortress will die.

EDIT: OK, here's my turn.

13th Granite: Yeleson dies of thirst in a random hallway near the surface. No clue why.

20th Granite: Reorganized all assigned jobs. 362 changes made - mostly to Strand Extraction, Mechanics, and Hauling duties. We had legendaries not performing their legendary tasks, idiot peasants without any labors at all, double-legendaries doing menial hauling or masonry work, etc. The whole thing was a mess. All legendaries have only burial and food hauling enabled, since we have legendary metalworkers of all types, anyone who wasn't close to legendary was taken off duties.

21st Granite: Ordered the slaughter of all puppies, kittens, and stray female cats, and begun preparations for new Hell-Wing. We have more than enough adopted cats for breeding populations.

26th Granite: First official work on new wing of the Hell-Fort has begun!

Slate: 2 Monkey Brutes invade, killing 5 and wounding others.

6th Felsite: Juana has become an Elite Marksdwarf.

18th Felsite: Juana is struck down by a goblin ambush. Why she was on the surface at all is a mystery.

28th Felsite: Another goblin ambush. A stray cat is killed - no great loss there. The traps killed the rest of the invaders.

--END OF SPRING--

2nd Hematite: Ordered the death of every stinking mutt in this place, minus one token breeding pair. They annoy me and breed too fast.

5th Hematite: Saffron demons from the north!

12th Hematite: Two of the Saffron Demons are dead, with the third running, but at heavy cost. At least 10 dead, more wounded, and most of our trained military gone.

18th Hematite: Sky Blue Fiend attacks - 5 are killed, and the fiend is almost at the gate! I am completely unequipped to deal with this, and I hope my successor has better luck.

List of all deaths in Deathgate since I took over:

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5347
There's a demon almost at the big bridge into the main fort, bodies littered around the entrance, and a lot of coffins to make. Also, by the end, I was just shoving people into the squads for more warm bodies. The next person needs to rebuild the military and move them closer to (if not actively in) the hellfort. It takes too damn long for our troops to get all the way from the surface entrance to hell. The  walls around my addition to the fort are almost complete - one square was suspended as an access area.

So, as a to-do list:
-Move military closer to hell. The traps can take care of the goblins.
-Put roof on the new wing of the hellfort.
-Refill the military with better troops and train them constantly.
-Use the caged goblins as recruit fodder?
-Make coffins if needed and clean up corpses. 2 have already risen as ghosts.

Sorry for the mess.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:37:45 pm by Eldes »

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:13 pm »

OK, a little over one season has proven to me that I am absolutely terrible at running this kind of fortress. I'll post what I've done, and a save (near the start of summer), and someone else can finish it. If I keep going, the entire fortress will die.

13th Granite: Yeleson dies of thirst in a random hallway near the surface. No clue why.

If I recall correctly, that happened to someone else too. Is it possible that you'd be able to get a screenie and mark the area so we can try to figure out what the sam-heck is going on?

20th Granite: Reorganized all assigned jobs. 362 changes made - mostly to Strand Extraction, Mechanics, and Hauling duties. We had legendaries not performing their legendary tasks, idiot peasants without any labors at all, double-legendaries doing menial hauling or masonry work, etc. The whole thing was a mess. All legendaries have only burial and food hauling enabled, since we have legendary metalworkers of all types, anyone who wasn't close to legendary was taken off duties.
Heh, I remember looking at that and wondering what was going on...As it was, I didn't have the patience to do that, nor, I think, did anyone else. You should get an extra-special note on the timeline for that one :D  Also, as a note, someone might want to check the dorf-list, see if anyone got moved.

21st Granite: Ordered the slaughter of all puppies, kittens, and stray female cats, and begun preparations for new Hell-Wing. We have more than enough adopted cats for breeding populations.
That'll probably save someone's framerate. Another kudos.

26th Granite: First official work on new wing of the Hell-Fort has begun!

Slate: 2 Monkey Brutes invade, killing 5 and wounding others.

6th Felsite: Juana has become an Elite Marksdwarf.

18th Felsite: Juana is struck down by a goblin ambush. Why she was on the surface at all is a mystery.
I hate when that happens...Guess it's just part of the Fun ;)

28th Felsite: Another goblin ambush. A stray cat is killed - no great loss there. The traps killed the rest of the invaders.
Out of curiosity, did someone figure out the main entrance, or is my tunnel being used, or did someone else dig another out?

2nd Hematite: Ordered the death of every stinking mutt in this place, minus one token breeding pair. They annoy me and breed too fast.
Well, I suppose it's unlikely that anyone was going to make wardogs, what with the demons being our prime enemies...Although maybe something to consider for archers in the future, it only to give them a bit of breathing room?

5th Hematite: Saffron demons from the north!

12th Hematite: Two of the Saffron Demons are dead, with the third running, but at heavy cost. At least 10 dead, more wounded, and most of our trained military gone.

18th Hematite: Sky Blue Fiend attacks - 5 are killed, and the fiend is almost at the gate! I am completely unequipped to deal with this, and I hope my successor has better luck.
Hmm...For what it's worth, I generally had better luck closing the gate and letting archers pick the demons off. Frontal combat works, but only with a *lot* of legendary warriors, which I'm pretty sure we don't have.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5347
There's a demon almost at the big bridge into the main fort, bodies littered around the entrance, and a lot of coffins to make. Also, by the end, I was just shoving people into the squads for more warm bodies. The next person needs to rebuild the military and move them closer to (if not actively in) the hellfort. It takes too damn long for our troops to get all the way from the surface entrance to hell. The  walls around my addition to the fort are almost complete - one square was suspended as an access area.
Wait...Troops had to go from the surface to hell? Did someone forget to assign them to the barracks?

-Put roof on the new wing of the hellfort.
-Refill the military with better troops and train them constantly.
-Use the caged goblins as recruit fodder?
-Make coffins if needed and clean up corpses. 2 have already risen as ghosts.
I've recently had a good bit of success training military dwarves by giving them training spears/axes and airlocking them in with a disarmed goblin. Not quite a danger-room, but almost as good and a lot less cheesy.

Sorry for the mess.
Messes are the bread and butter of community forts. To be honest, this might actually bring about some interesting events. TVTropes has us listed as being less insane than our predecessors, we might just get a chance to prove them wrong :D
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:19 pm »

What on earth happened? How did they all get in?

...did you puncture a hole in the bottom level (the defence) to make a wing?

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 11, 2012, 07:03:47 pm »

If I recall correctly, that happened to someone else too. Is it possible that you'd be able to get a screenie and mark the area so we can try to figure out what the sam-heck is going on?

I forgot to take a screenshot when it happened, sorry. His body might still be there, though. It was in a narrow tunnel near the surface somewhere, and no one seems interested in burying people lately.

Out of curiosity, did someone figure out the main entrance, or is my tunnel being used, or did someone else dig another out?

I'm pretty sure the main entrance is still in use - the one with the zillion cage traps at the bottom and zillion weapon traps at the actual penetration of the mountain.

Wait...Troops had to go from the surface to hell? Did someone forget to assign them to the barracks?

This is where both melee-based squads reside. On basically the top floor. As far away from hell as you can be.

Oh, I also forgot to mention - I made the entire outside a Restricted traffic zone, to lighten up on pathing issues - someone should continue doing that with the endless miles of tunnels we have. In addition, I forbade most of the stray items both outside and in hell that others had missed.

Also, it would be a very good idea to move as many stockpiles, workshops, and living areas completely down near the hellfort, and then WALL OFF all unused sections of the fort. This would prevent pathing into those sections, might increase framerate, and lessen frustration.

What on earth happened? How did they all get in?

...did you puncture a hole in the bottom level (the defence) to make a wing?

No, I saw that there were absolutely no demons on the map, so I removed the wall near the spike traps. I actually got most of the new wing built before the killing started. If the rest is taken in small sections, it shouldn't take too long, especially since most of the invaders couldn't fly.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 11, 2012, 07:08:28 pm »

One of the melee squads was positioned in hell.

Also, what was the new wing for? And why did it need to be on the spikey end of the defence wing?

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »

One of the melee squads was positioned in hell.

Also, what was the new wing for? And why did it need to be on the spikey end of the defence wing?

My main intent was to simply give us more living space in hell. If I had been more competent, I probably would have used it for a food stockpile, barracks for either some of the existing squads or a new one, farms, all of the above... It was a big flat area that just screamed at me to build on it.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:24 pm »

Haha, oh well.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2012, 08:30:53 pm »

WHAT?! The bunker always needs expanding! How else are we supposed to make Hell a colony of our own?!

PS: Has anyone considered using the bunker as a sort of mini-fort? Make it a burrow, and slowly add "migration waves" from the fortress proper, build it up as if it's a fortress of its own?
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 175