Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836143 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1365 on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

Felsite 1, 772

So I woke up after the annual elections (last man standing in the dining hall drinking contest) and according to the nametag on my beard, I'm this years Overseer.  Now I just need to work out how I managed to get an elf girl, two demon corpses and three adamantine socks into my bed.  I suspect those mysteries may go unsolved, sadly.

Felsite 2
Although I've spent several months in Deathgate, I've finally take the time to go round officially Noticing everything and my thoughts are this;  The fort is a clusterfuck of madness, wrapped in insanity.  I don't know where anything is, I don't know what anything does.  I suspect that even if I COULD find the levers to half the machines in the fortress, I'd only succeed in bringing the hillside down. 

Thanks to a little preparation in case I ever was put in charge, my mail-order copy of the Aussie Book of Engineering Trickery arrived not two hours ago  (a copy signed by the King of the HFS, no less!) and I intend to put it to use to improve this madhouse.

Before I finish this entry, I've compiled some notes on what I've seen and plan to do;

1.  Why the HELL are there Fortifications in the hellbunker?!  Don't you loons know some demons can get through those?!  Others can spit or throw fire through them!  Those are going as soon as I can work out where everyone is and what they're up to.  The Bunker's going to be airtight and secure against those goddamn clowns.

2.  Why are there three military squads, yet two of them are woefully undermanned? (2 dwarf in one, a single dwarf in the other).  I may have to do some shuffling and recruiting.

4.  I'm told there's a lack of any real source of mechanical power in the fort and that this BATTEREY is both unpowered and misspelled.  As there's apparently an aquifer in the hillside somewhere, I think a little look through the Aussie Book of Engineering Trickery is in order.  Let's see here...  Tidal Defense System...no.... Demon Piston... no....  Checkerboard.... too late for that.... ah, here we are; the AquaWorks....

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:56:57 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 05, 2012, 10:59:16 pm »

I demand that this new Thingie be pronounced the SINGLE-A BATTEREY.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 05, 2012, 11:20:34 pm »

Not much has happened, so all you get for now are some minor journal notes

Felsite 4

I was looking through the fortress to get a feel for the place and saw a lever seems to be rigged to what can only be described as a suicide device.  This will be rectified shortly.  Have you loons never heard of Gremlins?!

Felsite 16
Dumad Webmirrored mines one square in the passage to the aquifer, then goes on break.  Asshole.

Felsite 18
Morul Rainypaddled, the Fort Broker, does likewise.  I sense some passive-aggressive resistance to my leadership.  This will have to be dealt with at some point...

Felsite 22
Found the Aquifer.  Time to drag the fort into the Age of Engineering

Felsite 26
I was looking at the civ page and was surprised to find the Humans are led by a Llama Demon Administrator.  Must remember to put the Trade Depot down in the HellBunker so they feel more at home

Hematite 1
Goden Adilthum was possessed.  He claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.  (I forgot to grab the announcement message).  I'm hoping he'll make something, but the Militia's waiting outside his workshop just in case

Hematite 10

Hematite 12
I've gotten a feel of where the aquifer is and the dwarves are mining out the place where Deathgate's AquaWorks will go.  No more refilling, no more winding down.  Just constant, steady power in the quadruple-digits...  If these lunatics can pick up the pace....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malachite 2
Um... Remember how I said I was going to make that lever and floodgate safe?... Well...
Spoiler:   Whoops (click to show/hide)

Malachite 8
Good news!

Some people haven't heard of the horrors of the fort and actually came to live here! Five of them in fact!
This brings the population to 84 and an end to the update.  Now to go have a look for where the hell some 60-odd of the dwarves are.  I swear I cant find more than one or two in any given place. 

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »

Hahaha, awesome writing. And yeah, I noted that lever on my first proper update, back in ye olde days of using free-hand to write notes on my screenshots instead of text.

MAGMA ---> US
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

We already have a suicide lever.

Well jeez. I was going to spend my turn digging twisting pathways of water and magma that wrap around important conduits of the fort for no better reason than to make things look even more complicated, but knowing that we're already good to go vis a vis self-destruction kinda takes the spark out of it for me.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 06, 2012, 12:43:46 am »

We already have a suicide lever.

Well jeez. I was going to spend my turn digging twisting pathways of water and magma that wrap around important conduits of the fort for no better reason than to make things look even more complicated, but knowing that we're already good to go vis a vis self-destruction kinda takes the spark out of it for me.

I walled it off and I've no intention of opening it to reclaim the body unless his ghost turns violent.  The suicide floodgate is disabled for the moment. 

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:44 am »

How dull. Just set it up so building destroyers can't path to the floodgate (open holes in front of it on both side) and lock the trigger lever in its own room, surrounded by gold statues, wardogs on chains, locks, and traps. If a gremlin gets in there, the ensuing chaos will be well worth the time invested.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 06, 2012, 03:12:22 am »

Btw, That one man squad? Thats the arena´s champion squad.

I figure he would make more heroic final-stands in his own squad...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:14:46 am by Mobotium »
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 06, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

Hmm... Looking at your walling-off of the awesome suicide mechanism, does magma not flow diagonally? I thought I had problems with water doing so, but if magma doesn't, that's fine.

Just wondering whether a building destroyer pathing through that stuff and getting to the floodgate through the magma wouldn't still be able to set it off.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 06, 2012, 03:55:39 pm »

Hmm... Looking at your walling-off of the awesome suicide mechanism, does magma not flow diagonally? I thought I had problems with water doing so, but if magma doesn't, that's fine.

both water and magma flows diagonally. water flowing diagonally has no pressure. magma only has pressure under special circumstances.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »

I realised that myself when I looked at the picture after posting.  I'm going to play some more of Deathgate shortly and I'll be fixing that little mistake.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:01 pm »

Just checking;  Will 8,000 constant uristWatts be enough for everyone?  I can make it bigger if you guys want.  Also, I walled off that floodgate properly.  I'll update properly a bit later

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 06, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »

Ye gods it takes ages to get anything done in this hellhole.  I'm slowly reassigning jobs as I work out who's doing what and which tasks aren't that important to the basic running of the fort

Malachite 14
I've disassembled the screwpump that once fed this "BATTEREY" in order to extend my own, far superior, BATTERY.  Properly spelt, and properly powering the fortress once it's done.  If it gets done by the end of the year >.>

Malachite 26
I expanded the BATTERY chamber a little to the west to get an even 2k uW from each row

Malachite 28

Can someone please tell me why there are cats and birds fighting in the nesting box?  Who the hell started an underground animal fighting league in this goddamn fortress?  I WANT NAMES!  Specifically the bookie so I can put 10 dorfbucks down on the cat Thukut Likotdesis

Galena 2
Discovered a rather fancy bedroom in the Hellfort that seemed unoccupied.

Spoiler:  Mine now! (click to show/hide)

Galena 17
Human Caravan arrived.  I should probably find the goddamn Trade Depot.
Also; our meat stocks have suddenly sharply risen to 436.  I'm... not sure what to make of that, though the two events are unrelated.

Galena 18
Ah, bugger.  I knew this would happen eventually

Galena 19
A marksdwarf named Urist got to them first on the bridge.  I honestly don't know if the weapon traps were on or not, but he sent three flying off the bridge before beating the last to pieces

I didn't get a picture of it, but ol' Snamoz there was finished off by a speardwarf literally dicing him into small pieces that went flying in five directions. 

The other goblins were left where they fell

Limestone 17. 
I was originally only using surface wood in my BATTERY for a uniform color scheme, but I dont give a damn anymore.  These slackers will just have to use any damn wood they can get their grubby hands on instead.

Limestone 23
SinPwn had a fey mood.  This could be bad if he's at all competent in fighting. 
He's claimed a craftsdwarf workshop and seems to be off to fetch items

Sandstone 3
SinPwn made a piccolo

Spoiler:  A BADASS piccolo! (click to show/hide)

Sandstone 7
This is the current progress on my BATTERY.  The only wheels that are finished are the ones to the left of the cursor and above the channeled space is to the right.  I need a goddamn drink and a heavy stick to beat these knuckleheads into doing what I want.  OBEY YOUR AUSTRALIAN OVERLORD, FUCKERS!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sandstone 8 (and not at all edited in...)
I have carved a large pine stick into a reasonable club and engraved the words "Architecture" and "Carpenting" into the sides.  Beating random dwarves with it seems to give them the message of what tasks they should (hopefully) focus on, so I have dubbed it the Didgerido-stuff (As in "do the stuff I want, or you get hit in the head a second time!").  Encouragement is something every Overlordseer should do for their underlings.

Sandstone 13
More migrants arrived.  I've also noticed our population is currently 83.  With a migrant on the edge of the map, it appears two dwarves died unannounced.  That's somewhat troubling...

Sandstone 17
Turns out we DON'T currently have a Trade Depot.  The humans went insane out on the hillside.  Oh well.
Also, I added EVERY dwarf to the Fortress Interior warren in order to hopefully speed up construction.  A few randoms through the fort, as well as both migrants, got carpentry and architecture added to their skillsets by force.

Our total population is once again 84.  I'm off to reassign every lazy bastard in the fort carpentry and architecture to try and get this goddamn thing built faster. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:59:22 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: February 06, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »

*cracks up laughing*  See, this is why Community Forts are such awesome messes glorious masterpieces.  One Overseer comes by and sets up all this military stuff, building a great big gladiatorial ring and everything, only for the next guy to completely ignore military training in favor of building a gigantic perpetual motion machine!  Which the next year's Overseer will ignore, because the military's in shambles by then....
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: February 06, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »

The best part?  Once my BATTERY starts, you won't be able to stop it.  It'll just keep spinning constantly.  I'll hook up a lever sometime to make it possible to disconnect it though.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 175