Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837017 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1380 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »

Wonder if I'll have time to build a ginormo artificial lake and fill it with pumps, then rig it to emergency-flood everything if necessary.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 06, 2012, 11:05:07 pm »

Wonder if I'll have time to build a ginormo artificial lake and fill it with pumps, then rig it to emergency-flood everything if necessary.

Just tap the aquifer somewhere and set the screwpumps towards the fort corridors.  Rig up some floodgates, or just levers to the gears powering the screwpumps, and it'll take care of itself.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 06, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

You, my friend, are awesome, but...

I don't think you understand how I think.  :D

Diverting the aquifer into the fort is all well and good, but it's so mundane. I'd much rather be able to pressure-dump and flash-fill a huge chunk of things.

This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:39 pm »

You, my friend, are awesome, but...

I don't think you understand how I think.  :D

Diverting the aquifer into the fort is all well and good, but it's so mundane. I'd much rather be able to pressure-dump and flash-fill a huge chunk of things.

Your way only fills part of the fort, my way ensure the place would be UTTERLY screwed if it had to be used.  This place is labyrinthine to the point it should probably wrap in on itself

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 06, 2012, 11:33:55 pm »

My design still provides for a constant flow of water over time, in fairness.

I'm still just wondering what is gonna happen. I've never played a community fort before, and I'd like to at least leave a stamp on the place.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:33 pm »

My design still provides for a constant flow of water over time, in fairness.

I'm still just wondering what is gonna happen. I've never played a community fort before, and I'd like to at least leave a stamp on the place.

I'm probably going to leave a slight drop in FPS, a device no-one else understands how to build or maintain and a fort mostly dedicated to obeying my carpentry needs.  It's everything I could ever hope for!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:59 am »

Maybe something like TRIBUTEWEAPON from Headshoots would be appropriate. An overflowing mug of magma? Hmm.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:17 pm »

Can someone please tell me why there are cats and birds fighting in the nesting box?  Who the hell started an underground animal fighting league in this goddamn fortress?  I WANT NAMES!
I might have given orders to that effect, yes. I think I also walled in some geese somewhere as well.  :-X

Maybe something like TRIBUTEWEAPON from Headshoots would be appropriate. An overflowing mug of magma? Hmm.
What about a skull entrance? the bearded ladies all like skull entrances.  :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:18:21 pm by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 07, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »

Nearly finished the year, up to Moonstone now and I'll probably just finish it with one big update.  Not much is happening in the fortress except progress on the BATTERY, a goblin siege, and a new trade depot that can be flooded and drained reliably.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 08, 2012, 01:19:37 am »

Sandstone 25:
To-Do List;
- Speed up construction
- Deliver beatings to slackers
- Build a trade depot

Timber 3
Progress is STILL slow.  I suspect there's still resistance to my status as Overseer.  What did I DO at the election drinking contest to piss everyone off?!
Expanded the work site for a fifth row of waterwheels

Timber 7
I've opened the BATTERY tank to the aquifer breaches so that it will start.  If i don't get it finished, whoever comes next should be able to figure it out and continue it

Timber 10
I've dialled back from telling the fuckers to build a full row, down to just a few wheels on either side.  Should stop pointless self-deconstructing ones built in the middle

Spoiler:  The BATTERY (click to show/hide)

Timber 16
Ahhhhh, shit.  Goblin Siege has turned up on our doorstep.  Obviously they're jealous of our new BATTERY, even if it is barely a 1/10th finished.  Now to find the lever for the front bridge

Finally found it overlooking the bridge on the level above.  What idiot put it there?  Don't they know dwarves FLEE if they see goblins?  Whoever comes next should move it to the dining room like a sane dwarf

Timber 18
Thankfully the weapon traps utterly fucked up the siege.  Turns out that the bridge lever DOESNT GODDAMN WORK!  I'm going to carve "FIX THE GODDAMN DRAWBRIDGE LEVER" into my Didgerido-stuff when I have a spare moment and share my opinion with the nearest dwarf I find lazing about

Timber 22
The goblin siege is STILL going.  I'm sitting here on the battlements with a pine chair and some strawberries, watching these idiots march by the dozen over weapon traps and either get hacked to pieces or leap to their deaths over the sides.  Best entertainment I've had in months!

Of special note was a goblin I saw reduced to a limbless heap and still alive.  I'm tempted to keep him as a pet

Timber 28
Progress is going surprisingly fast on the new trade depot.  Just need the second screwpump finished and my 'water for goods' policy can be enforced reliably

Moonstone 8
Work on the new Trade Depot and BATTERY continue with little to report.  At least masons are working fast to floor over the screwpump channels.  Good thing I caught that little mistake

Moonstone 17
The dwarves have stopped ALL work on the BATTERY and gone to do other things.  I will not accept outright striking from my underlings.  I've beaten some new jobs into the idlers with the threat of more violence if they don't get back to work

Moonstone 24
Progress has resumed, somewhat.  I only have two months left before -  oh crap, a Monkey Brute got into the Hellbunker!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It attacked a miner and it seems to be wounded.  I only hope it doesn't... Aaaah shit.

Spoiler:  It exhales dust. (click to show/hide)

Militia's been dispatched...

Moonstone 25
I may have been a little too woried.  It doesn't seem like Hoodwicked can actually get inside the HellBunker.  He must've spooked the farmers by breathing through the fortifications. (Incidentally; I TOLD YOU SO!).  WHY there are fortifactions between the HellFort farm and the sealed-off entry hall are an utter mystery to me, other than as some sort of 'hardcore' farming attempt.

Opal 4
I have FOURTEEN idle dwarves, all with the jobsets necessary for the BATTERY.  What the hell are they doing?!

Opal 7

A miner named Dumad's claiming to be an elder god with an unspeakable name and is politely asking for somewhere to build something 'rather nice'.  I directed him to the workshops and told him to have a nice day.  Then sent the militia to stand guard outside the workshop door in case he has a tantrum

Opal 10
Dumad, or 'Churrazzugdssfd' as he claims to be called, has begun making something in a masonry workshop

Opal 14
Dumad made an awesome adamantine statue.

An AWESOME Adamantine statue
Spoiler:  The Absolute Bride (click to show/hide)

It's far too nice for the general public - Someone might damage or steal it.  I've put it in the only place I consider safe;

Spoiler:  My Bedroom (click to show/hide)

Opal 28

It's hooked up to two screw pumps on the level above that pump from what I'm FAIRLY certain is an Aquifer breach, and back into it.  Essentially, we can flood and drain the Trade Depot at will when we really need what they're carrying.  That should piss the Humans off for a good CENTURY.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obsidian 4
Happy day!  The idiots actually finished enough of the top row of waterwheels in the BATTERY that it linked together.  Now I can finish off the extension and make it easier on the next guy to finish it.

Obsidian 5
Sad day;  it seems Urist "Murderboner" Sazirurdim died.  An examination suggests he died of thirst sometime about the 27th of Opal.  His body was found on the ramp leading into the fortress.  Poor bastard died in the sunlight instead of under the earth

Obsidian 19
Progress has been... rather good, actually.  The first row of waterwheels is FINALLY complete.  I'm channeling out the second row and idly praying that a dwarf
will start assembling the damn screwpump that will pump-start (heh) the BATTERY

Obsidian 27
A goblin ambush turned up.  Should give me something to enjoy watching in my last few days as Overseer.

Granite 1

My Year is over.  It ended on a laugh though; A single goblin spearman got through the weapon traps.  He took one look at the fort, then turned and walked back through the traps to his death.  I don't blame him, really.  I'd say I need a drink, but that's how I got this goddamn job in the first place.  I'm just going to wait outside the dining hall for the others to finish getting utterly trashed, then pin this armok-forsaken Overseer nametag on whoever's too drunk to notice, as well as leave an assortment of random items to confuse him when he awakes.  Come to think of it, maybe that's what happened to me... Bastards.   I leave a sketched map of what I have done to for this fort for those that follow

Spoiler:  The BATTERY (click to show/hide)

This has been the journal of That Aussie Dwarf, Uncivil Engineering Overseer.
 -------------------------------------------------------------

-----Deathgate - 773----------

Overall the year was pretty quiet.  If I'd realised that the BATTERY was so GODDAMN far from the main fort, I would've set up the wood stockpile sooner so work would go faster.  I've left notes around the BATTERY and Trade Depot explaining how to use them and how to continue building the BATTERY water wheels.  I'm going to state the following clearly to prevent mishaps or misunderstandings. 

ONLY USE THAT SCREWPUMP IN THE BATTERY MANUALLY

It doesn't need to be hooked up to the wheels, it's just there to start the aquifer flowing in and out of itself in a constant stream.  Once that happens, you'll know by the wheels starting, dismantle it and continue the waterwheel row.

Sorry for being obsessive on it, I just know what'll probably happen if I don't. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:57:18 am by ThatAussieGuy »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:29 am »

I checked out the most recent save. the only thing I can say is; the f$%k? its not that it doesn't make sense. its not that its a huge mess. its the fact that against all odds, this abomination is still alive. how do you people do it?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:10 am »

Oh, and if it was not clear: Sign me up for a turn! I promise not to break too much...

And if you could also dwarf me (as a male Dwarf)
Name: Maxwell Edison
Profession: Medic Student
and sign me up for a hammersquad (with a Silver Hammer).
Bonus: "Quick to anger" or something like that...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 08, 2012, 10:02:21 am »

Btw, that monkey brute in the hell fort? Was there since my rule. He was the survivor of that duck incident...
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:10 am »

double checking first page...

oh...

oh god...

it's true

I'm the boss now

Weep

Weep if you know what's best for you, my dwarves...

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »

==1 GRANITE==

Filthy dwarves...

It is clear to Me that this infestation shall continue unabated. That the greatest forces of Hell shall not force them to yield. We have slain many, many dwarves, before and since, but none such as these, for no matter how grievous their losses, how much blood and suffering we inflict, always they return and claw out another few inches of Hell itself for their own use.

They are not dying. By all the nameless horrors that haunt the deepest reaches, they are farming sweet pods.

This shall not be. IT MUST NOT BE.

And yet... and yet, we reach an impasse. The bearded ones cannot hope to fully cast us out, either.

Perhaps it is time... for a different approach.

I, Lashidang, lost my life to one of these foul beings, yet I have hung on to the world of the living. And I have found... Perhaps, there is another way.

I shall use the last vestiges of my dark spirit to attempt to do with guile what my brethren and I failed to do with force...

OOC: And so begins a dark chapter in the saga of Deathgate. I promise not to end the fortress, but wanton and rampant cruelty, murder, and horror, the worst things I can think of to torture these dwarves one by one, this is what I would expect...

Also, can someone give me a quick rundown on image embedding? I'm supposing the best way is to upload to tinypic or photobucket or whatever then spoiler-embed it, but I'd like someone to confirm.

Will start my turn proper later today.

Also I promise not to torture any of the named dwarves unless the namer requests such.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:41:58 pm by kefkakrazy »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 175