Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832668 times)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1575 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:47 am »

The saffron demons spit frozen extract laced with cat blood. This might be something we could use. We'd have to collect it somehow and thaw it using magma... The blistering feet is probably an effect of some demon extract or blood. I will try to set up the decontamination system that somebody planned (the spiked entrance has notes re this). To this end I should start setting up plumbing. We'll need water down there anyway. I think I'll bring it in from the adamantine vein in the West.

Re: the ghosts
They were starting to annoy me, hence the reduction-of-ghost-number-program.

I'll also have to hunt down the last human on the map, so he cannot warn his brethren when they arrive.

Next update will have to wait till Monday, I guess 9-ish UTC.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

The problem is that if assassin bug blood causes the same syndrome as monkey brute dust, it's not terribly lethal (at least thus far). Just blistering.

If that DOES turn out to have been a lethal syndrome, then i am probably officially responsible for the depopulation of Deathgate.

99.9% certain that the foot blisters are a product of monkey brute extract. Hoodwinked spewed it EVERYWHERE while Krosan and Atib were beating hell out of him, and they had full-body blisters before they died. The Hellfarm was also getting little bits of dust spewed into it... that might have helped spread it? Also think that there was a puddle (now cleaned) of monkey brute fluid in one pathway; the big spread may have occurred when I burrow-restricted the entire fortress to a small Hellbunker-centric burrow to force them to complete the DUCKOTRON fast enough to keep demons from getting in.

(I totally failed at that, by the way, hence the haunt of fire flames decorating the top and interior of the Hellbunker)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:08:33 pm by kefkakrazy »
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »

Whenever I hear about the assassin bugs, I keep picturing the beetle droids from Samurai Jack. Except for the fact that we don't have god-forged blades to fight the Assassin Bugs.
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »

The demon Aku has come! A demon twisted into huminoid form. It's face is green. It is black. Beware its totalitarian state!
Samurai Jack has entered a martial trance!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

Sure we do, we just need to find a dwarf badass enough to wield the Red Monster sword.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:44 am »

Hmm... the sword... I'll leave that alone (for now). Maybe Baelor wants it?

I be orederin' reclaming o' t' fortifications o' t'hellfort noo. An be tole, I be nae acceptin' failure to doe soe! The hellspawn sittin' in t' fort does nea seem ta care at t' moment.

(OOC: No, really. Neither the assassin bug nor the saffron deamons start pathing to our marksdwaves)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

27th Granite. Mitchewa suddenly annoonced he be havin' tis "great idea". I be fearin the worst. He be blabberin' aboot "a sekrit missun" an' "the plans" an ran off to claim hisself a carpenter's workshop.

Doon in t'hellhole seems tae be dreidful things agoin on: I been tole aboot a number o' drakes diein' with the reports o
' t' combat showin nuthin. Mebbe 'twas t' ghoesties?

(OOC: strange. really. I get several "stray drake has been struck down" messages. So either the saffron demons can spit through walls, which I doubt, or the ghosts - there's still a whole bunch of them roaming free that do not appear in the unit list - killed the fowl, which should show up in the combat logs, or they died of poisioning with... I don't know, which should show up as coating or so on the corpse)

1st Slate. I be orderin' t' prodoocshun of rock blocks. T' masons be harassin' me aboot how much faster constroocshun ca
n goe with those.

(OCC: I also changed the rock stockpiles downstairs to more sensible rock block ones. Working with blocks is much faster than with raw stone and it also looks nicer)

The 'Yelesom' ghoesti be quite annoyin'. He be possessin' oor miners an' all. I be needin' to put it tae rest, but I kannea find 'is name in t' list o' memorable characters. I think he be memorable enuff!

13th Slate. Mitchewa finished 'is sekkrit project. An armor stand. I guess I be moovin tis un tae oor barracks so t' lads be happy when be sparrin'.

18th Slate. 'Tiny Tim' was struck doon by t' Saffron hellspawn while lookin fer somethin' tea eat. There be nothin' tae eat doon there, yea stoopid (and I explicitly forebade each and all doon there).

19th Slate. The last breach in t'Hellfort hae been closed. Praise the masons! Additionallea, makin' o' soap heas started.

(OOC: I think it might be possible to start closing the ceiling in the upper level of the hellbunker,  our current demonic guests cannot fly I think. Then we can expand from that level and maybe wall the saffron demons in. I'll also reclaim the duck-o-tron, so that the breeding program can continue.)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 27, 2012, 05:28:01 am »

Has any work on the BATTERY been done?  Or has my masterpiece been abandoned for fresh bouts of insanity?

Also, if you seal off the Hellbunker from the adamantine spire (floor it over, locked hatches, take your pick), the demons should get bored and wander off to rejoin whatever group they spawned on the map with.  Probably.  Maybe.  I think.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:55 am »

At the moment I am ignoring the BATTERY. I need all hands to get the stone blocks tot he hellbunker. I want the farm room back to grow the Plump HELLmets. I'm also trying to get some plumbing done, we need water for the decontamination shower. Once a number of blocks are downstairs I can recommence construction.

I am not sure why the demons would leave when we seal the spire and if the same effect could not be achieved sealing off the hellbunker (if all paths, even for flyers, to the surface are closed by floors and walls). They are also hanging around as there are still some beds that they have not destroyed (I guess).

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:12 am »

Where did the drakes die? I know I explicitly left some drakes outside of the DUCKOTRON in order to ensure the fecund females within could continue pumping out soldiers.

If they died in the DUCKOTRON, it's probably confinement-based aggression; if there's no combat reports recently, they could have just died from previous wounds. If they died in Hell, then it's probably a few of the first waves; some of them take nasty injuries from that extra Z-level drop, meaning about half the DUCKOTRON's soldiers get maimed before contact with the enemy, something I consider just and dwarfy.

I'd probably leave the red monster sword alone, nobody can wield it without dying.

Also, YOU MONSTER, YOU LET TINY TIM DIE.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »

I found the combat reports... two pages down. The confinement-based aggression in the duck-o-tron spams the combat report overview. The drakes and ganders and whatnot were killed by the Saffron Demons.

Tiny Tim had it coming to him: He ran into the Hellbunker that was off limits to get something to eat. I wonder why, everything down there was forbidden (I also changed the orders to "Forbid own dead, dead items, everything"). But I would have preferred it not to have happened. I also did a quick branch of timelines and the same happened. I am sticking to the "original" timeline, though.

The sword: We really need a weapon forged from the smitten carcass of a Hellspawn, wielded by Armoks finest Disciple, who will be exalted for all times. But I agree: until the Coming we'd better not touch it. One could argue that only the Chosen One would be allowed to wield it and Armok will smite any infidel touching it...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:42 pm »

Trap a flame demon and expose soldiers clad in adamantine to it until one survives with only having lost his fat.  That dwarf should be able to wield the Flame of Deathgate

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »

I for one support our Super Burn-Ward-Jesus initiative.

I wonder what the stats are on that sword. Would he be sparring and cause people to melt? Demons probably wouldn't melt...

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:53 pm »

Well, I must say, I have egg on my face. The !!surprise!! I had planned might not happen for a long time, and because of that, I am ashamed. Rytak knows what I speak of. Armok looks at me and is disappoint. So, to make amends(and because my month long writer's block is gone), I think I'll write a fanfic for you all to enjoy! It will include be in an alternate timeline, and it'll include Paindeer, the BATTERY, onslaughts of Assassin Bugfiends, the fiery demon blade, Red Monster, and much more !!FUN!!.

EDIT:
18th Slate. 'Tiny Tim' was struck doon by t' Saffron hellspawn while lookin fer somethin' tea eat. There be nothin' tae eat doon there, yea stoopid (and I explicitly forebade each and all doon there).

So THAT'S what killed the kid. I always thought it was pneumonia and malnutrition.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:41:16 pm by Velard »
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:12 am »

Tiny Tim had it coming to him: He ran into the Hellbunker that was off limits to get something to eat. I wonder why, everything down there was forbidden (I also changed the orders to "Forbid own dead, dead items, everything"). But I would have preferred it not to have happened. I also did a quick branch of timelines and the same happened. I am sticking to the "original" timeline, though.

You may want to consider a civ burrow for work control purposes. When I was making the duckotron, I had to restrict civilians to a small burrow containing the Hellbunker and the diorite quarry above in order to force them to prioritize it; at the least, using a burrow should keep them from playing chicken with saffron demons and keep them from running after any of the loot you may have missed. There's goodies strewn all over hell, including food (from slain soldiers).

Silverwilt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »

Some artifact nether-cap gauntlets would probably allow some one to wield the flame sword. You should stockpile some logs and train everyone to novice carpenter, you might get lucky.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 175