Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836084 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1725 on: April 10, 2012, 07:46:50 am »

On that note, whenever we DO do deathgate 2, I call dibs on turn 3. It was fun doing turn 7, but I want to do an earlier turn to REALLY make my mark since my magma hallway kinda fizzled(I think next time I'll do something with pumps, an obsidianizer maybe?)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:47 am »

I'd like Deathgate II Turn 2, real early!

As for Deathgate I, I'm going to try to re-take Hell, and finish the migration into Lower Deathgate.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 11, 2012, 02:54:08 am »

6th Sandstone: Found some more walled up dead bodies today. I can only guess as to how long these poor dwarves were left to rot. The bodies had completely rotted away. I barely smelled death as they were carried to coffins.

Or maybe I'm just used to the stink that permeates every corner of this place.

27th Sandstone: Had several goblins come face to face with our militia in the arena today. Bizarrely, one managed to escape
before the gate rose, but he was caught and beaten/shot/chopped to death. So, that all appears to be well and good.
Obviously, outnumbered goblins aren't a realistic battle scenario, but these dwarves obviously lack in battle
experience. One dropped a priceless adamantine axe for goodness sake!

6th Timber: Evaluated Military skill levels. Happily, only four are at the recruit level. Obviously we won't have any Lords
or Masterclass dwarves by the end of the year, but this is a step in the right direction. I plan to reset the arena soon.
Very, very soon.

8th Timber: A dwarf made a statue from adamantine today. I wish I knew how to work the stuff. But goodness gracious is the statue morbid.

Life in Deathgate would be better if it wasn't so morose. With all this wealth, these dwarves should be happy all the time. I should be happy running this place, even in it's current state. After all, I could buy my hometown 10 times with the wealth of Deathgate. Why am I not happy?

13th Timber: Dwarven Caravan arrived today. Hopefully, we'll get some trading done.

Notes: Dorfed Iggy Mcnatz the third, he's ten now. Also, coming up on the end of my turn, should be done by tomorrow or the day after at the latest. Then you guys can get back to throwing our military into industrial equipment and stuff.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:24 am »

Is Baelor one of the slow, poor recruits? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »

Notes: Dorfed Iggy Mcnatz the third, he's ten now. Also, coming up on the end of my turn, should be done by tomorrow or the day after at the latest. Then you guys can get back to throwing our military into industrial equipment and stuff.

I'm 10, I'll take it! I approach the cusp of Dwarven manhood in a charnel house! My swaddling clothes stank of death and the fetid breath of the underworld! I was diapered in adamantium! I sleep on the cold floor of the Hell Bunker!

Am I good at anything? Or typical kiddie "dabbler" grower?

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 11, 2012, 05:23:26 pm »

The Mad Fool's feet are also blistered, but he's ecstatic.

Of course he's ecstatic!  He's got demon blisters he can experiment on!  And without any of that pesky screaming that happens when he tries to experiment with someone else's blisters....
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 11, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

Of course he's ecstatic!  He's got demon blisters he can experiment on!  And without any of that pesky screaming that happens when he tries to experiment with someone else's blisters....
Wait, what? He doesn't enjoy the screaming?

Huh. Learn something new every day.

E: Hmm...it appears that I may be up next. Fairly good timing, too! All my duedates are tomorrow, leaving the weekend (relatively) free! Also, it seems I needs must come up with a new backstory, what with dying unannounced and all...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:05:51 pm by scaliper »
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 11, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »

Would Dorfing even be possible at this point? If it is...

Name: Michael Waaagh
Job Name: Orc Slaying
Profession: I'll take anything at this point, but I'd like to have one of these:
Weaponsmith
Spearman
Armorer
Peasent
Marksdwarf
Siege Engine Operator

Put in peasent in case any of the others are not available.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 11, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »

Wait, what? He doesn't enjoy the screaming?

Huh. Learn something new every day.

Of course not!  It's all in the name of SCIENCE!  All that noise makes it hard for him to listen when he's calibrating his instruments.
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 12, 2012, 01:05:06 am »

I'm 10, I'll take it! I approach the cusp of Dwarven manhood in a charnel house! My swaddling clothes stank of death and the fetid breath of the underworld! I was diapered in adamantium! I sleep on the cold floor of the Hell Bunker!

Am I good at anything? Or typical kiddie "dabbler" grower?

Deathgate's HAD a couple of Legendary kids.

The most memorable one for me was one I bestowed with a special name. Tiny Tim got crippled early and was actually a legendary Crutchwalker by the time I got around to noticing him, up until Gunpowder decided to feed him to the assassin bug.

Think we may have had another legendary metalcrafter kid running around too.

I don't think Deathgate is short on legendaries, it's grunt laborers we're nearly out of!
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

Well, we went from over a hundred to 70 dwarfs correct? That'll put a dent in your work force any day.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

We've been bleeding workers at a rapid clip for the past several overseers. I don't THINK anyone else came close to my death count; I managed to account for something like 20 dwarves all by myself, including our entire military and most of our haulers...

hmmm...

oops.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

17th Moonstone: Traders left. I was unable to give them as many goods as I would have liked, to draw forth migrants, but any little bit helps. It certainly looks better than sending those wretched humans home with nothing from Deathgate. Then again, perhaps it is for the best...

27th Obsidian: Another artifact pumped out of the wealth machine that is Deathgate.

But wealth is hardly the only thing they make here. No, they make coffins too, and by Armok himself, they make sure they are filled, one way or another. Bodies litter the fortress, the battlegrounds of hell, and serve to hold the walls together if my finding three dead dwarves within the walls is anything to go by.

...I apologize to anyone who is roped into leading this damned fort after I go. I came here in search of riches. I found them. Ialso found a colony of dwarves. A hole in the ground that few believed in. Studded with adamantine, a bed for any dwarf who wants one, food to last lifetimes... But at what cost? It's clear why migrants would rather live in fear out in the untamed wilds. This 'fortress' is no safer. Perhaps even more dangerous. In the face of everything that is Deathgate, its wealth is meaningless. It's a miserable place, inhabited by mad dwarves who believe that hell can ever truly be conquered. They certainly made an effort. But living in constant fear of demons, drilling, day in and day out, dwarves who will eventually be slaughtered by the unnatural forces of hell. Which battle is the only uncertainty there.

On the morning of the first of Granite, I'm leaving. I'm going home. To see my mother, if she still lives. I'd like another one of
her cat roasts. I can't eat here. It's all dead dwarves food.

OOC: Welp, I think I am finally done with Deathgate the first. Something tells me that we're not going to bounce back from this migrant drought before the whole place tears itself apart, especially considering the military attrition rate, which is slightly higher than the civilian rate.

I didn't get much done at Deathgate this year. There wasn't much to do, but try to rebuild. But it felt like trying to build a block fort with 4 blocks. Interestingly, I placed a substantial number of coffins we had lying around, and not a one went unfilled. That was a bit disturbing, as a player. Never had that happen before. Sorry for not doing the ghost control I did my last year, but it didn't seem to matter too much. Besides, that unit list with all those deceased is nigh insurmountable.

The military is, at the very least, a little better. Only three recruits in the whole shebang, and some of the dwarves are even competent. The Arena is usable, but with so few haulers, it's tricky to get the goblins stripped for battle. Might be best to just release a few at a time, to prevent friendly casualties. I think I have 4 queued to go right now, eight if you wait for the assigned cages to be hooked up. Also, Iggy III is looking to be a politician, with several dabbling social skills. I guess we'll see what comes of that.

Have fun with the next year. Strike the earth!

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:24 pm »

Am I next? The OP hasn't been updated lately.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:43 pm »

By the list, I'm next. I got a PM saying to go, so I've downloaded the game and started work. May even get an update out tonight.

Also, Yay!
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 175