Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 835825 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1740 on: April 14, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

I been reading this thread for awhile, and I'd like to sign up for a turn. I was able to run one of the earlier saves on my laptop and Istill have DF2010 installed ...

Not sure what I'd do on my turn though ...

EDIT: Looking back, I saw a suggestion on flooding hell. For the current overseer or anyone else on the turn list. It might be possible to do it, but I'm pretty sure water will simply flow down the eerie pits and vanish into the void. Short of walling up all the pits, I suspect the only way it could be done is alternative water/magma and obsidianizing the entirety of hell. Its been awhile since I tried mixing water/magma together, but 1/7 of water mixed with any magma should do the trick, combined with rapidly switching between them down the pour shaft (a 1x1 channel straight down would be needed so nothing could get stuck and gum up the casting). I might try this in a separate save to provide advice on how it could be done ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:40:29 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

I been reading this thread for awhile, and I'd like to sign up for a turn. I was able to run one of the earlier saves on my laptop and Istill have DF2010 installed ...

EDIT: Looking back, I saw a suggestion on flooding hell. For the current overseer or anyone else on the turn list. It might be possible to do it, but I'm pretty sure water will simply flow down the eerie pits and vanish into the void. Short of walling up all the pits, I suspect the only way it could be done is alternative water/magma and obsidianizing the entirety of hell. Its been awhile since I tried mixing water/magma together, but 1/7 of water mixed with any magma should do the trick, combined with rapidly switching between them down the pour shaft (a 1x1 channel straight down would be needed so nothing could get stuck and gum up the casting). I might try this in a separate save to provide advice on how it could be done ...

Hello there.

The link in my sig might be of, well, a little interest to you *whistles nonchalantly*

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »

Well...

Never did think I'd see the day I'd follow in my father's footsteps. Mostly because he explicitly told me not to right before he lost his mind and joined in on a demon-hunting party. Of course, it's not as if I had much choice in the matter. The last leader skipped town, but only after he had slipped a crown onto my head while I was sleeping in the dining room. When I woke up, everyone started congratulating me on my promotion. Right. Congratulations. I could see the half of them snickering into their beards. Sigh...

Unfortunately, I barely even have any idea where anything is. I know the way from my post to my room and the dining room. And they expect me to run this place? Right. Although if the past overseers have been any indication, none of them succeeded either.

Anyway, they put me down on a chair and told me to "take a look at the records." I've got to say, I was kind of impressed with the state of the fortress. After all, not every fortress can survive with 59 surviving dwarves, corpses scattered all over the place, a single dedicated hauler, random rooms in random places, no military to speak of, no order to ANY placement of ANYTHING, <expletive deleted> STOCKPILES <removed for family-friendliness> HIDING IN THE MOST UNREASONABLE <obscene gerund> PLACES POSSIBLE, AND DEAR MOTHER OF ARMOK WHAT THE HELL <obscenity not removed> HAS HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE?!?!

Hold on there, Scal! Deep breaths now. It's all going to be alright. Just got to...Just got to find a place to start...

Alright, having noticed the failboat that is the military, I decided to make their upkeep the primary goal of my leadership. What better way to honor my father? So, firstly, I updated their orders to equip adamantium armor. As it was, they were told only to wear "metal" armor, and I decided not to risk any seasoned warriors(*chuckle*) going into battle with the demons wearing copper armor.

Further, the military was a disorganized mess! I consolidated the soldiers into groups by weapon, and now have them training in the hellbunker at all times. Maybe I won't have to be so sarcastic next time I say "seasoned warriors."

And then I noticed something. Someone had allowed demons to enter our colony in Hell! I do not know what fool had allowed such a travesty to occur, but I will not allow the lives of our forbears to be trivialized so! Those demons will be removed, the bunker fully reclaimed, and, Armok willing, expand it into a fully functioning colony. The denizens of Hell shall curse the name of Scaliper II with their dying breaths!

To this end, I have ordered the archers to stand on a ledge overlooking the demons so as to shoot at them. Hopefully, enough bolts sticking out of the skin is enough to kill a demon. Otherwise, well, annoying demons is always a good idea.

Further, I have ordered some spearmen into the arena, and am just now setting to pull the lever releasing some trapped goblins. Hopefully, all shall go well.

OOC: Ah, back in the saddle again! I had forgotten how frustrating this place was, but that, I suppose, is part of what makes it so much fun! :D
For what it's worth, I found a little ledge in the bunker that the demons can't reach, but is overhanging the room they are standing in. I figured I may as well get some archers up there, just because.

I also messed with military scheduling a bit, in that I removed the "training" tag from all of the squads. In my experience, the military trains more quickly when left to spar. That said, if you have found otherwise, let me know.

Finally, for those who have just finished their turns(and really everyone), send me a PM if you'd like a T-Shirt. I'm still one or two short of what I'd like before sending the company an email concerning templates going to multiple people.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:54:05 pm by scaliper »
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:24 am »

Honestly at least part of the hauler problems MAY be my fault.

During my reign, I found that I had a few High-Priority jobs that I needed done immediately. I used DT to monkey with the jobs; pretty much I ordered every non-legendary, non-nicknamed adult dwarf to get on with doing what I needed done.

This was, in order:

Building the DUCKOTRON (had to do fast so demons didn't rush in)
(followed by opening a wall to let the Hoodwinked-slayers through)
(followed by haunts of fire flying through and frying several dwarves)

Then, shoring up the insides of the Hellbunker.

Then, walling off the hellbunker to keep the assassin bug I accidentally let through from getting into the fort.

In any case, when I told all the nonessential nonnamed dwarves to get the hell into the hellbunker to do some emergency work, this probably contributed to most of the nonessential nonnamed dwarves getting the crap murdered out of themselves.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:20 am »

Yeah, I'm strongly considering taking all non-military, non-named dwarves, setting them all to hauling, and removing from the mix just one of each necessary job. Hopefully, that'll work.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:35 am »

Wait...removing the training tag actually lets them spar?

I assume this is the screen where you choose a certain squad, set to [ACTIVE], or something? 

I still have a bit of trouble with the militareh in this game. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 15, 2012, 05:11:59 pm »

Wait...removing the training tag actually lets them spar?

I assume this is the screen where you choose a certain squad, set to [ACTIVE], or something? 

I still have a bit of trouble with the militareh in this game.
Correct. Military dwarves with no job preferences turned on and no training regimin will do partner/individual drills by default.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 15, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »

Huzzah! Be glad, all ye dwarves, for half of our problem has been solved! My plan paid off, and the crossbowman Ezum Lunkubuk has killed Borushlegon the Saffron Demon by a shot to the brain! All now that stands between us and reclaiming the bunker is a single assassin-bug demon, already beaten and battered by dozens of bolts! This does, of course, lead to some small difficulties with demon blood staining the floor, but I'm sure that a solution shall be found. If worst comes to worst, I will simply wall the area off.

As an added bonus, the crossbow squad is becoming much more adept after all this practice!

As an aside, upon learning that the cages in the arena were not actually hooked up, I decided to cancel the fighting order so that the troops could train some more. On the other hand, I did find an area wherein a whole bunch of goblins were caged, and they did seem to be hooked up to a lever. That said, there are so many that I don't like the idea of letting them out without being sure that they are disarmed, the military being in the state it is. As such, I have told the haulers to clear the equipment out, but we have so few that it may take a huge amount of time.

On that note, I have reorganized the job-structure of the fortress. We now have 6, maybe 7 dedicated haulers, rather than 2. A few dwarves were grumbling about being taken off of their previous jobs, but any foolish enough to actively oppose this progress shall be dealt with severely.

OOC: On a related note, if anyone wants to claim a demon-slaying crossbowdwarf, let me know.

E: New developments soon after:
Ha! The demons have been routed! By which I mean killed. The crossbowdwarf Mafol Uzolthad struck the assassin-bug in the heart, causing it to bleed out rather rapidly. The Hellbunker has been reclaimed! Now all I need to do is figure out a way to get rid of all that demon-goo...

On a less fortunate note, some goblin lashers attacked. They got caught by the cage-traps, but our idiot broker and mechanic (OOC: sorry, Jocgame) went to  clear out the cages, getting caught by some more lashers. The mechanic was cut apart by whips, but the broker managed to escape with lacerations over 95% of his body. He's currently on his way to the hospital. In the meantime, I have forbidden the citizens from gathering anything from outside.

And on that note, spring has ended. The humans should be arriving at some point soon, and maybe then we can get enough goods traded to attract some migrants. I hate to do business with demon-worshippers, but since what we're trading them shall be useless garbage and possibly net us some more citizens, I'm willing to compromise this one time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:38:49 pm by scaliper »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:40 am »

Huh.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if the fact that a number of overseers thought it'd be funny to kill all visitors to the fort might have caused our migrant drought...

I know I accounted for at least two caravans myself.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:26 am »

Huh.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if the fact that a number of overseers thought it'd be funny to kill all visitors to the fort might have caused our migrant drought...

I know I accounted for at least two caravans myself.

So.. you're saying I shouldn't have given the fort that drowning chamber for the new trade depot then?

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:38 am »

Eh, it's true that Merchant-death has likely not helped immigration matters, the whole premise of the fort is waging war against the demons. Once we get ourselves back on our feet, merchant-drowning will become very important, methinks.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:25 am »

Huzzah! Congratulations in cleanin' out the lovechilds from the hellbunker!

On removing the goo / blood / extract: There is a started aquaeduct in hell in the western half of the map, reaching down through a hollow adamantine tube. You might want to extend that one and flush out the crap from the hellbunker. This will probably also flush everything else down there (furniture, corpses, weapons, arrows, ...) into the glowing pits... meh. However the lack of haulers does not improve the availability of blocks close to the started aquaeduct.

You don't really want to trade with the demon-worshipping lovechilds, the lovemaking ones (the humans)? Traitor! ;o)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:58 am »

Huzzah! Congratulations in cleanin' out the lovechilds from the hellbunker!

On removing the goo / blood / extract: There is a started aquaeduct in hell in the western half of the map, reaching down through a hollow adamantine tube. You might want to extend that one and flush out the crap from the hellbunker. This will probably also flush everything else down there (furniture, corpses, weapons, arrows, ...) into the glowing pits... meh. However the lack of haulers does not improve the availability of blocks close to the started aquaeduct.

You don't really want to trade with the demon-worshipping lovechilds, the lovemaking ones (the humans)? Traitor! ;o)

My only fear is that I read on the wiki that water just spreads blood around, and I'm not sure whether that was ever resolved. Regardless, we do need a well or something, so I think I may try to move the aquaduct closer.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:41 am »

My only request is that you activate the DUCKOTRON and tell me how many Assault Troopers are deployed in that wave.

This can be easily found, as it's the only sealed chamber filled with birds.

There is a nearby lever which should be reachable now, which can activate it.

In other news: Do demons have different syndromes attached to them? I know that monkey brute dust and goo doesn't seem terribly dangerous, which is good because if it had turned out deadly then I would have literally doomed the entire fort.

Wondering how dangerous assassin bug blood is.

The Mad Fool would probably send a child to test it.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1754 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:40 am »

Hello there.

The link in my sig might be of, well, a little interest to you *whistles nonchalantly*

I was aware of your legendary game of checkers, and sealing of hell :-). I guess I wasn't as clear. I was planning on flooding hell without having to wall the entire thing in first by having obsidian form around the pits. The more I thought about it though, I'm not sure you could get it to spread evenly enough to successfully obsidianize the pit edges and not have it plug up the pour hole. Some SCIENCE may be required.

In addition, there is a distinct lack of military in Deathgate to fight the clowns off while Operation: Great Wall took place ...

EDIT: By accident, I found that disabling temp causes the FPS to skyrocket to about 25 for me. For anyone screwing around with Deathgate and not taking a turn, it helps considerably.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:33:59 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 175