Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832615 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1800 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:05 pm »

the point is not to keep demons out, it's to keep ducks in.

Demons don't seem like they want to path through the DUCKOTRON, which tells me building destroyers may not be able to break bridges from below while flying.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:06 pm »

the point is not to keep demons out, it's to keep ducks in.

Demons don't seem like they want to path through the DUCKOTRON, which tells me building destroyers may not be able to break bridges from below while flying.

Building Destroyers cannot break ANYTHING from below.  It's why the Checkerboard worked at all.  It's also why all my external entrances consist of upward staircases through a floor hatch before descending down into the fort proper.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:25 am »

Yes, but the hatch has to be marked as "closed", otherwise the Demons can route through it... which is not what we want, no precious. I usually have a bridge entrance that is closed when lowered (bridge over upward ramp). This also means that the default state is closed and I will not forget to link it up to a lever, which was actually my main idea behind it.

Also look at the start of the aquaeduct down into hell. There is also a Demon filter like this.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 05, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »

Hey hey! Just thought I'd check in and say that I'll probably finish up tomorrow. I'll try to make a post before monday and get the save up.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 06, 2012, 09:38:15 pm »

So...I was wrong. Turns out that my last update and my last post were incorrect. I hadn't finished autumn last time, so today was pretty much devoted entirely to autumn. Unfortunately, this means that finishing my turn will have to wait until around friday or so, thanks to finals. However, in the meantime, here's autumn:
---------------

Well, the season opened up on a happy note, with those filthy humans finally buggering off! Now they shall unwittingly spread our fame around the earth, drawing dwarves to our gates and helping to defeat the very demons they worship! I revel in the irony!

In the meantime, I decided to set the peasants to go about building a tomb for me in Hell. Let the demons despair, for I shall be controlling the forces in Hell even in death! Sadly, though, getting the coffin built is taking long enough...

Regardless, a couple days later, a butcher brewer cook...thing...was possessed by one of the deceased and started tearing about throwing things around for all of five seconds, after which the spirit left. These undead are getting out of hand. However, I can't have my tomb completed and make the haulers devote all energies to burial at the same time, so I guess some sacrifices must be made. Hopefully those useless peons are quick with the tomb.

Around the same time, the so-called "mayor" sent me a note demanding that platinum goods be made. I must say, these plebians must be taught their place! All shall know who the true lord of Deathgate is! On the other hand, he is a well-respected axedwarf, so my mood was softened somewhat. I left a work-order standing for some mugs, although I have no idea if anyone will actually do anything about it.

In addition, I found a number of unoccupied coffins in the spire leading to the bunker. I have no idea why nobody bothered to designate them for burial, but I have done so. Hopefully some of these ghosts will  be put to rest.
OOC: For what it's worth, remember to turn off "bury pets" whenever you tell a coffin to be used for burial. There are a depressing number of coffins wasted on chickens and turkeys and such

Finally, at the end of what was a thankfully quiet season, a trade-caravan of dwarves arrived! I have designated a large number of useless trade-goods to be brought out, with the same intent as with the humans. Hopefully, all will go well. In the meantime, autumn is over, and I must go relax in my beautiful bedroom. Maybe I shall call a hauler with an iced rum. That stuff is delicious.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:09 am »

[ ... ]
Finally, at the end of what was a thankfully quiet season, a trade-caravan of dwarves arrived! [ ... ]

Now that is weird... weren't we supposed to be the mountainhome with all other Dwarvendom extinct? That does indeed give some hope! I hope you'll load the caravan with goods to be shipped off to show them how well we're doing (poor suckers...). Offer them some extra plump HELLmet roasts or something.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1806 on: May 07, 2012, 11:37:40 am »

OOC: For what it's worth, remember to turn off "bury pets" whenever you tell a coffin to be used for burial. There are a depressing number of coffins wasted on chickens and turkeys and such

Finally, at the end of what was a thankfully quiet season, a trade-caravan of dwarves arrived! I have designated a large number of useless trade-goods to be brought out, with the same intent as with the humans. Hopefully, all will go well. In the meantime, autumn is over, and I must go relax in my beautiful bedroom. Maybe I shall call a hauler with an iced rum. That stuff is delicious.

The bury pets option by default can be changed in the init files to mae that default. In addition, even though the civ is pretty much dead, caverns seem to appear out of thin air as long as the world isn't in the age of death/age of emptiness.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 08, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »

Where do the dwarf caravans say they're from?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »

I plan on trading a lot of stuff with them, yes.

I had enough time to check the name of the civilization. They're said to come from Ushat Usan, and greet you with "Greetings from the Outer Lands." Not a good sign by my understanding, but I'll let the legends-diggers sort that one out :)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:26 pm »

They're said to come from Ushat Usan
Ushat...  I can see why the might not have listed that in the publicly available Legends records...
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

Happy Birthday Deathgate!

Today, one year ago, Deathgate was created.

So to you, I say:

Congratulations!
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1811 on: May 11, 2012, 12:35:17 am »

Happy Birthday Deathgate!

Today, one year ago, Deathgate was created.

So to you, I say:

Congratulations!

I feel the urge to build a giant obsidian wedding cake with a creamy magma center in my next fort to celebrate this fact.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »

We should make a Dwarven Rum Cake that includes plump helmets and dwarf-bread.

Being dwarven means it'll double as an explosive device and a melee weapon.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 11, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

We should make a Dwarven Rum Cake that includes plump helmets and dwarf-bread.

Being dwarven means it'll double as an explosive device and a melee weapon.

Let's burn the outside of the fort and call it one big candle

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 12, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

Hey, I'm new to here (and just read through Deathgate in about two days) and I have a small birthday present.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deathgate in Minecraft!

I used DF2Minecraft in DFhack and produced a usable Alpha map of Deathgate for exploring. I haven't explored much yet, but I'm sure it will be properly epic.

The save file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18948156/World1.7z
So, if anyone wants to see more, just tell me and I'll take some more pics, and post the Cartograph as well.
EDIT:
The updated save file for Minecraft 1.2
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18948156/World1_UPDATED.7z
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:23:43 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 175