Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832731 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1830 on: May 17, 2012, 01:46:31 am »

In the next turn, could somebody please post a status picture of the fort, to see the number of dorfs, food, number of soldiers, etc...

And how's my dorf? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1831 on: May 17, 2012, 08:24:51 am »

I got the save, though I'm not sure how much I can play before this weekend (this entire weekend however is set aside for Deathgate, so my turn should be relatively quick).

In the next turn, could somebody please post a status picture of the fort, to see the number of dorfs, food, number of soldiers, etc...

And how's my dorf?

I can't find your dwarf on the list (unless it was given a nickname beside NRDL). I'll look through the dead dwarf's list and see if they're there instead.

The fort it seems is in relatively good shape.  We're really at the point that short of epic mismanagement, or a goblin siege from hell, I don't think the fort will go easily ...

scaliper did a pretty good getting the military re-organized and even assigned profession titles so you can easily see at a glance on the units list who is who. As a note thought, you really have to set it to use exact matches vs. partial matches, or something dwarf's will equip crappier items. One of the axedwarf's is using a bismuth bronze shield and iron equipment! (I've found that steel armor with candy robes seems to work the best, but I doubt we have enough candy to rework all the equipment ...)

Hell, we had a kid grow up in Deathgate; how freaking often does THAT happen in a succession game? (let alone DF in general)

As it stands, two more kids should turn 12 on my turn and become adults, and another two on the year after. With our food/drink reserves as they are, we could probably breed our way up to the popcap without too much trouble (except waiting 12 years for the worms to become adults).

Anyway, I'm going to continue the military work, do a fair bit of cleanup, and see if I can secure DG's future. Expect my first update tonight. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:18:02 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:18 am »

Well then, please dorf me as NRDL ( Axedwarf ) so that future overseers can tell whether or not I'm dead. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:06 am »

Dorf me as Velard, and just in case you missed it, I'd like a turn.
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1834 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

Dwarf'ed myself, Velard, and NRDL. Need to look back to see if there is anyone else who needs dwarfing. (As a note, I changed how DF shows nicknames in my game, which is why these screenshots might look weird to some people)

NRDL became one of our legendary miners/axedwarf. Legendary miners do SCARY things to enemies.

Velard, since you didn't specify a preference, I made you the newest adult in DG. As a hauler, you probably have the longest life expectancy of anyone in DG at this moment.

I claimed the legendary seige operator, and only red. She is one of the survivors of the original marksdwarf squads and I think has been around since we breached hell (will check in legends momentary; if anyone wants the legends history of their dwarfs, just ask).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:46:36 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1835 on: May 17, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

OOC: Here's a prelude to my turn which I wrote over lunch. I did take a more in-depth look at the fort, and it seems a mandate was missed recently. Aside from the mayor having an unhappy thought, is there a risk leaving the justice system disabled?

Journal of Id 'NCommander' Matulcog. 27 Obsidian 776
===

Well, its finally done. Scaliper II's reign has finally been brought to an end. The despotic prick had us all working on his freaking tomb and 'royal' bedroom, while the rest of us try to eek out a living. We've got demons to the right, demons to the left, demons downbelow, and goblins on the top! He even took us off freaking patrol duty on the Hellbunker!

I mean it nice, but what could be more important then shooting demons?!

As I sat around the dining hall the other night, I heard others complaining about Deathgate's overseer. "Scaliper made me do this, Scaliper made me do that, Scaliper made me eat my dog!". That sort of thing. I knew what had to be done as I finished off my barrel of wine.

As it turns out if you want to stage a coup, all it takes is a few drinks, and a brief trip to the armony. Bit surpising how easy it was in all actuallity ...

Scaliper, once cornered, agreed to give up his throne. Were it not for his former military service, and the simple fact that he did manage to reclaim the bunker, I suspect we would have had executed him right then and there.

It should have been obvious that our actions had left Deathgate without a leader. Indeed, the thought of who would lead had dawned not long after. This leads us to what I've come to call Id's First Rule.

Rule One: If you are going to overthrow the ruling idiot, be prepared to take that idiot's place.

Really wish I knew rule one before I opened my freaking trap.

Seems that since this coup d'état was my idea, I should be one to lead Deathgate "to a new and glorious future, yadda yadda yadda".

Bloody hell, I'm a Marksdwarf and a Seige Operator, not an overseer! It seems there's nothing  I can do about it. My compatriots will not hear a word elsewise. Seems I'm doomed to this fate ...

28 Obsidian 776
===

I spoke to Scaliper this morning in the barrack. Turns out that he didn't force those freaking idiots to do jack. Nor did he force any dwarf to eat their dog. I spoke to those bozos immediately following. The conversation went something like this:

"So, did Scaliper really force you to eat your dog?"

"Uhhh ... no. Was a bet. But, you know, that's alright. Overseer always supposed to prevent us from doing something stupid, right?"

I punched his lights out then proceeded to bang my head on the wall. This led me to formulating Id's Second Rule.

Rule Two: No matter what you do, somehow, someway, someone will always blame the overseer. Even if you didn't do anything ...

Now knowing rules one and two, I really wish I didn't open my trap.

As an apology for usurping him out of office, I've let him keep the position of militia commander.

My term officially starts tomorrow. Already I can tell that there is a lot to be done. I saw Ducim clanking by with a half-adamanite/half-iron set of armor, and I can suspect some of the other idiots that serve as our military probably went and did the same thing.

I however have a grand plan on how to turn our army of losers into an army of winners ...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:49:03 pm by NCommander »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 17, 2012, 06:19:56 pm »

I just finished reading this, it's awesome. I felt the need to leave my mark on his place, even if it is just a blood smear.

Name: Thaddeus
Job Name: Saint of lost causes
Profession: Any that will involve me dying quickly
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 17, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »

Profession: Any that will involve me dying quickly

At least narrow it down a little, in Deathgate, that could be anything. Not even Potashmakers are safe.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »

Heh heh, well, whats there to pick from?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »

Is my dwarf still living in his fancy bedroom in the Hellbunker?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »

The one I melted?

8)

This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »

Hows about a swordsdwarf if there are any, with a candy sword and, if possible, naked. So that all any who oppose Deathgate will know our insanity!!!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:00 am »

Legendary miners ARE deadly

When using a pick.  Which is useless against demons it acts much like a spear, to my limited knowledge. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:31 am »

Legendary miners ARE deadly

When using a pick.  Which is useless against demons it acts much like a spear, to my limited knowledge.

Picks act like a lot of things. They have a few different surfaces to work with, unless I'm mistaken.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:42 am »

Also, last I heard, spears are very effective against demons, forgotten beasts, et cetera.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 175