Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836856 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1875 on: May 25, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »

You better leave the ducks alone. If you want to do something with them, pull the lever and do a deploy from the DUCKOTRON.

I make you no promises. My first goal is FPS. Besides, I'll leave a breeding pair, so any future overseer can have a new ducksplosion whenever they want.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »

You will HAVE a ducksplosion if you open the DUCKOTRON. Trust me! They're in there like sardines.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »

I can't wait for that overseer that intentionally triggers a ducksplosion :D

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:24 am »

I'm hesitant to re-add you to the list.  Every time your turn has come up, you have missed it entirely.

Hey, I missed it twice, but this third time will be the charm. I won't be busy at all when my turn arrives. One more chance, Rytak?
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 28, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »

10 day breaks between posts in unacceptable NCommander.

I'm pretty patient when it comes to Deathgate and overseers, but I'm not going to allow people to vanish for a week without any updates.  I've been too lax about this.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1880 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

10 day breaks between posts in unacceptable NCommander.

I'm pretty patient when it comes to Deathgate and overseers, but I'm not going to allow people to vanish for a week without any updates.  I've been too lax about this.

Update will be up in a few hours. Doing the writeup now. This week decided to really be a $#!@.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1881 on: May 29, 2012, 02:07:36 am »

OOC: I've included details from the legends dive I did a few pages ago, and other tidbits I found for readers who only follow the turns, and not the entire thread. This post is also getting really long so I'm breaking it into multiple parts as I write it up. I should have most of Granite/Felsite written up tonight, with the end of spring/beginning of summer tomorrow.

Journal of Id 'NCommander' Matulcog, 1 Granite 777
===

So I've officially been sworn in as overseer. Guess I should probably actually do some overseeing. Can't be THAT hard, can it?

As I settled into the overseer's office, I found myself confronted by stacks and stacks of papers. Counts of stocks, reports from the chief medical dwarf, and various other tidbits of useless information. I swear, I'll be a legendary organizer by time I'm done going through all this crap.

One note in particular immediately catches my eye. A production mandate for something or another. Closer examination revealed that it already expired. Guess that explains why the mayor was complaining the other day.

The mayor was also pissed about how criminals seem to walk free.

A look at the justice records and the assignments chart revealed why ...

Seems one of the previous administrators managed to kill the last captain. Without a captain or a hammerer, no one is dealing with making sure criminals are being properly prosecuted. While I could simply appoint a captain, and please the fucking good-for-nothing mayor, I don't even know if we have a bloody jail. While I little love for nobles and their mandates, the laws and rules set forth by the king must be obeyed. In addition, at least one dwarf has managed to earn a beating. I dare not risk our few dwarfs dying in jail due to starvation because someone was too lazy. For the time being, the position of captain will remain vacant until I can insure the inmates survival of their jail term. It doesn't help that we're so few in numbers.

Few seem to want to migrant from mountianhome ever since-

WHAT THE FUCK? WE'RE THE MOUNTIANHOME?

When the hell did that happen?!

I've lived in Deathgate for over 20 years, and this is the first I've heard of it! Where was the announcement, where was the parade? Hell, more importantly, where is the fucking king?!

Id 'NCommander' Matulcog cancels Oversee Deathgate, Desperately Needs A Drink

2 Granite 777
===

Ok, I feel better now that I finally polished off that barrel of fisher berry wine. Good stuff. Makes this job easier.

This mountianhome business is most troubling. Due to the short tenure of Deathgate's previous overseers, the fortress records are scattered, and in places, maddeningly incomplete. As best as I can tell, we "became" a mountianhome shortly before the breach into hell itself. As to why, I do not know ...

For the moment, I find that we have more pressing issues to take care of us. When time permits, I will look into it more in-depth. I've corrected the military rosters so that everyone would be equipped adamanite equipment, just to find out that we are severally lacking in shields ...

In addition, we lack any armorsmith whom can forge high quality armor components. While training up a new armorsmith is relatively straightforward, our general lack of hauling power means that workshops quickly become cluttered and virtually unusable. At least three of the mason workshops were cluttered to the point of uselessness.

I had said workshops deconstructed and will reconstructed them once the clutter is cleared. If it is indeed cleared. I've re-assigned one "Atomic Avocado" from farming duty to armorsmithing and have him practice with copper until which point he can be trusted to work with our adamanite stores. Our foodstuff piles are fortunately to the point that we could go several years without crops and still survive.

Until Atomic has become a legendary armorsmith, the military will have to make do with what's available. On that note, I've reassigned the marksdwarf's squad to use adamanite armor as we have an excess aside from shields. If "The Gilded Fields" should ever find themselves in melee combat, we will at least have a fighting chance.

I've also noticed that several of overseers, myself included, have had issues understanding the layout and design of Deathgate. As such, I'm amending a tour of sorts to this log, with the best hand-drawn pictures I could muster. Those years of study under "Stonesense" McUrist will not be wasted ...

Id's Illustrated Guide to Deathgate
===

I suppose I should start at the very top as the case may be ...

Spoiler: IMG: Volcano Cap (click to show/hide)

For those unaware, this might seem like a strange place to have a block floor. Some might wonder if it was an abandoned megaproject, or the results of a crazed dwarf. In fact, its neither. If you were to put your hand on this floor, it would be extremely warm. It is in-fact an artificial cap. It was installed in 561 under the oversight of Blade Master Model 42. As we found, much to our horror, during our siege against hell, demons flew out of this volcano, unphased by their dip in the magma below. While we were able to seal the demons below, this cap is a safeguard to prevent demons from raging free and wrecking havoc across the land. Or at least that was the theory, but I get ahead of myself ...

If one were to look to the left, you can just make out the temple from here.

Spoiler: IMG: Temple Front (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: IMG: Temple Rear (click to show/hide)

The Temple to Armok, in all its glory. I believe it was constructed in 769, but records are once again sketchy, as are the reasons for its construction. Built out of the most holy of all stones, obsidian. As one can tell, it adorned with gold statues that represent the lesser gods.

In addition, a gold and adaminite capstone shines its magnificence across the land. As any temple to the Blood God himself, it comes complete with a sacrifice chamber falling several hundred feel onto piles of upright spikes. Sadly, I don't believe we've executed anyone to Armok in several years. Perhaps it would solve our migrant problems ...

Spoiler: IMG: Temple Interior (click to show/hide)

The magma itself is drawn from the heart of the volcano itself, a testament to the fires that give us all life. Unfortunately, as an oversight during construction, the demoncap on-top the volcano was circumvented as there is no filter between the volcano's magma, and the moats of the temple.

As we have sealed the demons back into hell for the time being, it is of little consequence.

Moving down the hillside, you can see the series of bridges and traps that welcome any visitor to our abode. I am loath to admit it, but the sheer size and height of our entrance makes it difficult for me to draw it, so I apologize that the following drawing will be somewhat crude.

These bridges are lined with various weapon and cage traps and are the first line of defense for Deathgate. Many sieges have tried to pierce these defenses, only to fail miserably. For the few who may make it inside, a set of ballistas and catapults are setup to act as a second line. Sadly, beside myself, none of my fellow siege operators remain to operate the machinery. As such, these fortifications simply rust and wither away wondering if they many ever see their call to duty.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:45:31 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1882 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

OOC: Making this a second post as I believe there is a limit to the number images in a single post. Full Granite update, is mostly written, and started Slate update. Will be posted within the next few hours

Id's Illustrated Guide to Deathgate, Part 2
===

Moving inward, you can now clearly see the the grand hall all visitors pass as they enter. Sadly, my drawing skills fail me once again as I can not accurately draw the wonderfulness that are siege machines.

Spoiler: IMG: Entrance Hall (click to show/hide)

These farms provide the bulk of our food and booze. Here you can see Atomic Avocado tending his fields just before I sent him off to become Deathgate's newer (and only) armorer. Those hallways by Mitchewana are the feed passages for the trade depot drowning chamber. Operated by two manual screw pumps, they draw water up from the aquifer, and into depot. A second pump allows for easy drainage. It has been used for great effect at effortless caravan drowning. Various overseers have chose to deploy it as a more dignified way to seize goods.

While I feel that drowning our few visitors does little to help our reputation in the outside world, I do feel that such a device could use some improvements; drowning afterall is such a simple way to deal with one enemies. Perhaps if one were to add one of the most lethal of aquitic enemies, the carp, to the mix ...

Directly below them, we have the two water reactors.

First up is Deathgate's original water reactor, the BATTERERY.

Spoiler: IMG: The BATTERERY (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IMG: The BATTERY (click to show/hide)

This is the BATTERY. As with the drowning chamber, it was designed by TheAssuieGuy, and is a second generation design. Instead of depending on pumps to artifically create a waterflow, it instead creates a flow within the aquifer itself, and draws power from it. I still have issues grasping the basic concept, but it seems relatively straight forward enough.

Unfortunately, it appears that the BATTERY has become non-functional ...

I do not have the technical knowledge required to fix such a device, though hopefully one of the previous overseers may be able to lend a hand in its repair.

I've been since informed that the BATTERY was actually not completed during TheAussieGuy's reign as overseer. He has however provided instructions and a reference manual on how this style of water reactor functions. As we most of the parts on hand to finish its construction, I will look into installing the missing pump and priming the device.

There is not much else of note in the upper fort except for this

Spoiler: IMG: Deathgate Logo (click to show/hide)

As we prepared to fulfill the task left for us by the council, the colonization of hell, one of the previous overseers carved our sigil into the very earth itself. This room speaks to the very spirit of Deathgate, and is a symbolization of everything we stand for. We are Deathgate, and we conquered hell itself. Our actions speak for themselves, and our legacy continues lives on ...

Anyway, as a note, the upper fort is linked to the lower fort main two staircases, and rampway that extends around and below the cavern layers. As we reach lower Deathgate, one passes by the arena.

Spoiler: IMG: Arena (click to show/hide)

A stylized arena allowing for fightings between our solders, and our healthy collection of caged invaders. Like most of the fort these days, it has an air of negelect and disuse about it. However, I have big plans for this area. Note to future overseers: remember to lock the doors when its in use.

Moving on, we continue down one level and find ourselves in the living quarters.

Spoiler: IMG: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

Directly across from the bedrooms lives the lifeblood any fortress, the workshops. Any manner of workshop one can think of can be found here, many of them cluttered beyond belief. Our adamantine stores (not pictured) line the floors here, for easy access to our extractors, smelters, and forges.

Spoiler: IMG: Demonlock (click to show/hide)

Continuing downward, we have the demonlock. These two drawbridges serve as the official divide from the fort proper, and the Hellbunker. The levels on the wall operate each bridge separately, allowing us to seal the bunker off from the rest of the fortress. It could, if necessary, also allow the bunker to act as a panic room should a goblin siege ever manage to break through our defenses. Fortunately, it has never been needed to be employed.

Past the Demonlock, we have an archery range, and what I've come to call the goblin pit

Spoiler: IMG: Goblin Pit (click to show/hide)

The purpose of this room eludes me. A drawbridge was installed, and the level appears to be linked to several of the cages in the room. I plan to re-purpose this to become a live-target archery range for our marksdwarfs. With a little luck, we should have heroes soon.

Near the goblin pit, we have a series of hatches that lead into one of the adamantine spires into the hellbunker itself.

Spoiler: IMG: Honored dead (click to show/hide)

Many of our honored dead are intombed within.

Continuing down the steps, we finally reach the bunker itself ...

Our foothold and home in hell so to speak. Outfitted with bedrooms, barrack, and basic survival necessities, it is our paradise in the pit itself. Although lost several times before, we have always managed to reclaim it. The DUCKTRON can be seen in the corner ready to be used loaded with hundreds of gobblers ready to rampage across hell itself. Perhaps I will finally deploy the device. If I can find the lever ...

That brings an end to the illustrated tour of Deathgate, and I hope whomever may read this finds it useful ...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:13:55 am by NCommander »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »

This is the BATTERY. As with the drowning chamber, it was designed by TheAssuieGuy, and is a second generation design. Instead of depending on pumps to artifically create a waterflow, it instead creates a flow within the aquifer itself, and draws power from it. I still have issues grasping the basic concept, but it seems relatively straight forward enough.

I do not have the technical knowledge required to fix such a device, though hopefully one of the previous overseers may be able to lend a hand in its repair.

The BATTERY never got started, I didnt get it that far.  Build a screwpump pumping west/east on that little ledge in the unfinished row and start it manually.  Then dismantle it once the wheels start turning and channel down the floors in that unfinished row.  Then channel rows southwards and place waterwheels over them

There's a tree farm on the level above the BATTERY for wood and a stockpile set up near the BATTERY itself.  There's a tutorial on how to build an aquifer battery in my sig if you want better instructions.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1884 on: May 29, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »

The BATTERY never got started, I didnt get it that far.  Build a screwpump pumping west/east on that little ledge in the unfinished row and start it manually.  Then dismantle it once the wheels start turning and channel down the floors in that unfinished row.  Then channel rows southwards and place waterwheels over them

There's a tree farm on the level above the BATTERY for wood and a stockpile set up near the BATTERY itself.  There's a tutorial on how to build an aquifer battery in my sig if you want better instructions.

Ah, I was under the impression the BATTERY was finished. If time permits, I'll see if I can finish and start it up (if nothing else, we need another millstone).

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 29, 2012, 11:45:47 pm »

Heh, it's just about 1/4 done.  The power 'outlet' is on the level above, to the right, where all the gears are connected by one axle.  All that needs doing is to channel the 'tank' and lay the waterwheels.

DeepBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:25 am »

It's always sad when you hit the end of a thread you've been reading for so long.. on the other hand that gives me the opportunity to be dwarfed :D

Can I have a hauler? Those never get much love.. ;)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:28 am »

Wheee, updates!

Loving the Stonesense pictures.

jocgame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:50 am »

nice. Can i have information on how my dwarf is doing. If i am dead re-dwarf please. as female preferably.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 31, 2012, 01:05:19 am »

Jocgame?

That sounds familiar...

I wonder if you're one of the 20+ dwarves who died under my reign.

Also, the lever for the DUCKOTRON should be right next to the machine itself, unless a demon destroyed it or something in which case you'll have to pop it open for repairs and then re-pit the ammunition. It's entirely possible; pretty sure that a few saffron demons had the run of the section.

It'll be along the left wall of the hellbunker if it's still there.

This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 175