Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836822 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1950 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:21 pm »

My little contribution.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »

Heh, I like how you wrote my dorf, NCommander. :)
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1952 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:50 pm »

Wasn't there a syndrome that caused blisters to break out all over?

Its possible, but this wasn't caused by any demon.

Heh, I like how you wrote my dorf, NCommander. :)

I drew inspiration from your journal log. Very much mad scientist.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1953 on: June 10, 2012, 01:08:01 am »

OOC: I'm currently stuck on a very slow and crappy internet connection, so I can't upload the images for this update. I have them though so as soon as I have a slightly less crappy connection, I'll edit them in. Forgive any typos, I wrote this fast. I will go back and copyedit it sometime this weekend.

NRDL - if you are unhappy with the protrail of your dwarf, let me know, and I'll change it to one of our nameless ones

Temporary Overseers Log
Solon 'NRDL' Oltarstukon
Hematite 10th, 777
===

So, while the boss and Scalliper is laid up with that damn demon sickness, I'm taking over for her. Having already dealt with that blasted bullshit, I know how shitty it can be, you know? Plus having to deal with our doctor, ugh ...

On the plus side, since the military got a demon extract bath, we're now all immune to the fucking thing, and the blisters don't hurt THAT badly after awhile.

Anyway, construction continues on Areltulon's waterway, me and the boys now dug through Z-70, so we're almost there, only 20 more levels to go.

Got to say, the entire idea of thing is crazy, but I sure hope as hell that we finish it soon, I can't wait to kick some demonass after we humilate that freaking bastards. The bosses's obsidian tower casting also working, and we've cast the base and part of the second level, but she forgot to account for one thing, you see?

Steam.

One of the masons who decided to help pour water to build the tower was scalided beyond believe. She freaking more blister than dwarf! Despite this, she remaining in good spirits, and seems happy enough, so she went and continued with her normal duties.

We already have issues with demon blisters, and I ain't scaliding any more of our dwarfs so I cancelled out the water pouring orders. Since for the moment, we are done with magma casting, I went and pulled the magma shutdown lever.

Except it didn't work ...

IMG: Open hole with magma flowing down it, missing hatchcover

Damn it, I know we installed a magma-safe hatch, what the freaking hell happened? Right now, the magma sea is now pouring uncontrollably into to hell, and I ain't got a clue on how to stop it.

Ugh, I can see why most of our overseers only last a year, this job is freaking stressful.

Hematite 12th, 777
===

Well, the hatchcover has been found.

Seems the damn fucking idiot who installed the damn thing used non-magma safe screws to bolt the damn thing down. When the magma ran through the pour hole, the screws melted and the thing fell into hell. When we pulled the lever to open the damn thing, the thing fell down into hell, and we didn't notice none cause the lever was supposed to start the magma flow.

Doesn't solve the immediate problem of how to stop magma flowing into hell, but at least one mystery been solved.

In other news, the boss has been released from the hospital, and will be returning to work tomorrow, so I can go back to finishing the aqueduct and let the boss deal with this legendary clusterfuck.

---

Journal of Id 'NCommander' Matulcog
9 Hematite 777
===

Ugh, finally free of that blasted Mad Fool. I swear, waking up with him standing over me and, in his words, "examining me" for deformaties was quite possibly the scariest thing to happen to me in Deathgate, and that's saying a *lot*. So creepy ...

If it wasn't for the fact he's actualling fucking good at his job, I'd so have his ass in stockades. Unfortunately, he still has Scalliper, as he has yet to wake up from his demon-induced coma, though I expect he will make a full recovery any day now.

Course, I find that we've been sabogated by our own stupidity now. Seriously, how fucking hard is it to properly install a hatchcover? The installation instructions are engraved on the damn thing. Hell, I could have done it right in my sleep.

Still, can't piss over spilled milk now, can I?

Having had some time (and several barrles of fisher berry wine) to think it over, I think I know how to solve the leaking magma sea. The Areltulon is designed to dump tons of water. The solution is blindingly obvious.

IMG: Stairway directly above leak from the magma sea

Just let it work as intented.

See, we had to install a staircase to get a miner in position to pierce the magma sea, and survive to tell the tale. Those stairs are still in place even now, granted submersed in magma. The fact though is that water can flow down them.

When the water makes contact with the magma, presto, obsidian plug, stopping the magma flow.

Or so I hope ...

I had hoped to allow excess magma in hell evaporate before deploying t any water down the pipeline, but there is nothing to be done. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will take out a couple of the wandering demons.

Unfortunately, such an endevour requires someone who is well engineering minded to complete, and I still need to complete my own CARP training. This demon extract business aside, Deathgate still needs its supersolders, and thus I can not bring myself to cancel the program. However, due to the progress thus done, I've allowed NRDL to partake with the training as only a few more levels must be dug through before the first part of the

However, I have a perfect dwarf in mind to oversee plugging the magma sea while I'm indisposed. I must make some final preparations though before hand ...

PS: I found that we had an unenlisted macedwarf in our ranks. He was promptly drafted, and told to report for CARP training. Deathgate's military now stands at 18 strong.

IMG: Our latest military addition.

---

Evil Plotting Log
Zuntir "ThatAussieDwarf" Gikuturdim
Hemitite 22nd
===

Ahahah, I can't believe how well my plan actually worked, that idiot Matulcog played straight into my hands. I shall have my revenge for her perveting my glorious death machines! And to think, all it took was a few wooden screws! Hahahaha!

Everything goes as planned.

And to think, the Hellbunker now has a perfectly functional magma moat! Though I must admit, the smoke from the burning remains of the corpses and the old Hellfarm remove a bit of the appeal, but that problem should be solved soon enough.

First things first, I must get my BATTERY operation, Deathgate MUST have the power to fuel my plans. Fortunately, Matulcog followed my instructions on the pump installation so it is merely now a matter of operating it, and to "put the wheels in motion" so to speak.

IMG: BATTERY pump.

Secondly, I must remove Deathgate's current overseer. As it stands, I only weild power through her authority, and as soon as she returns, that power will be lost. There is however a way to kill two birds with one stone. Specifically, the "Overseer Succession Act of 755"; should Deathgate's current overseer befell an "unfortunate accident" and perish, the fort shall immediately pass to the most capiable dwarf of leading us in the crisis. As Matulcog has already placed me in charge of Deathgate, it is trivial to make a case that I should succeed her.

Once that is done, I merely pull a few strings here and there, and Deathgate shall be finally mine for all eternity. Muhahahahaha.

Now, all I must do is elimate Matulcog. Unfortunately, she has surronded herself with the majority of our military. While it would be a trivial matter to simply overflow the trade depot until they all drown, such a loss of brute muscle is unacceptable. No, for the moment, she is invincible, but that can be solved, oh yes!

Her device, the Areltulon, shall play a roll in her demise. I reviewed the blueprints for the machine, and noticed a footmark "consider installing archery walkway under main waterway". I've decided that I will implement this plan, and extend said walkway from the Hellbunker.

IMG: Archery firing range extending from the Hellbunker with completed and desiginated masonary.

To keep with appearances, I shall allow construction of her insane device to continue. Even now, our miners have breached Z-80, and are only ten levels from their goal. I designed to redesign the main water intake to allow installation of a drawbridge as a master shutoff should it ever be needed.

IMG: Redesiginated water intake.

As for Matulcog, well, you know the dangers of cement, and she is such a heavyset dwarf. It would be such a "tragity" if she were to fall through the weak stonework and into the magma below.

It shall all go as planned!

---

OOC: Ok, the fort now stands at midsummer. I honestly have no clue how that blasted hatchcover detached. I used a magmasafe mechanism as well, so I'm at a complete loss. If flushing water into the breach fails, I may have to dfhack in a plug, since its causing some serious FPS loss (fort is running at roughly 12 FPS now).

TheAussieGuy - as with NRDL's dwarf, if you don't like the characterization, tell me, and I'll toss the entire section, and rewrite it as something else.

Next update should be on Monday, and I'll upload all the images when I'm on an internet connection that sucks less (this one makes dialup feel fast).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:57:25 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14:28 am »

S'all good so far, NCommander.  Though I'm surprised a devious TAD has turned up here considering he was last seen plotting in Hellcannon.  Evidently he has many plans, all of them overly complex and utterly indecipherable to the discerning eye.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: June 10, 2012, 01:49:24 am »

I really like the personality you did, a no-nonsense person with his head in the ground. 

Thanks! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: June 10, 2012, 01:51:36 am »

S'all good so far, NCommander.  Though I'm surprised a devious TAD has turned up here considering he was last seen plotting in Hellcannon.  Evidently he has many plans, all of them overly complex and utterly indecipherable to the discerning eye.
Perhaps all incarnations of ThatAussieDwarf are part of a sort of hivemind or collective. Each one with the desire to plot/scheme/bamboozle/gambit, but the actual complexity, method, purpose, and the effectiveness of the plot depends on the individual AussieDwarf in question.

On one hand we have Hellcannon Aussie who has been planning something from the get go and like to fake his death and wear disguises to further complicate the ruse. On the other we have Deathgate Aussie, who just decided his time has come and start a takeover. Then there's Swordthunders Aussie...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: June 10, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

Perhaps it's a clan or family of insidiously clever agents out for their own gains?

Swordthunders Aussie made no assumptions or conspiracies - He lead the fort to glorious victory, and then ventured into the deepest parts of the Glowing Pits with the fort's two greatest warriors in order to ensure that whatever lay down there would also be a Happy Place.

He's a black sheep in the 'family', I suspect.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:59:47 am by ThatAussieGuy »

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: June 10, 2012, 02:08:34 am »

Flooding Hell with magma, another Deathgate first.
Usually you have to make a cannon for that sort of thing.

On a side note. given the fact we have precious few dwarves remaining (at least for now, before the blisters and the burns mutate them into something other than dwarves), I think our CARP marines should be subject to a danger room. (Do we have wood for spears?)

We avoided doing this before, but we can't guarantee we'll ever get any migrants again.

EDIT:

Oh god.  I just pictured a tantrum spiral with 18 CARP marines going berserk on one another.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:11:03 am by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1959 on: June 10, 2012, 02:39:34 am »

I really like the personality you did, a no-nonsense person with his head in the ground. 

Thanks!

Figured that as a solder, he'd be levelheaded. Mostly just a matter of figuring out the dwarf based on their profession (TAD aside, but I think they come in mastermind evil as a mater of fact).

Perhaps it's a clan or family of insidiously clever agents out for their own gains?

Swordthunders Aussie made no assumptions or conspiracies - He lead the fort to glorious victory, and then ventured into the deepest parts of the Glowing Pits with the fort's two greatest warriors in order to ensure that whatever lay down there would also be a Happy Place.

He's a black sheep in the 'family', I suspect.

Somehow, I think Hellcannon's breach of hell (as orchestrated by TAD) has to be related to my re-purposing of Deathgate's death devices.

Flooding Hell with magma, another Deathgate first.
Usually you have to make a cannon for that sort of thing.

On a side note. given the fact we have precious few dwarves remaining (at least for now, before the blisters and the burns mutate them into something other than dwarves), I think our CARP marines should be subject to a danger room. (Do we have wood for spears?)

We avoided doing this before, but we can't guarantee we'll ever get any migrants again.

EDIT:

Oh god.  I just pictured a tantrum spiral with 18 CARP marines going berserk on one another.

Is it depressing that almost everyone in the military has, "X the dwarf, d. 7XX" in their kill list?

As for danger rooming, I'm generally against it; seems a bit too unrealistic (although I runesmithed the CARP marines to check stats; their Strength stat is now between 2000-3000 depending if they were legendary before. We do have the wood to do it (and I believe we still have a legendary carpenter). In comparsion, most DG dwarfs are between 800-1500. And they are only Proficient Swimmers). That being said, I will design a new automated aquatic danger room (triggered by pressure plates) that will spit out instant CARP marines if the general consensious is to do it.

I'm starting to think we're going to end up with Headshots/Syrupleaf superdwarfs ... (and we all know how Headshots ended)

That being said, we've gotten this far without them, and I think it might cheapen our awesome with we charge our minds on this. I've been trolling legends mode on and off again. I *think* our last migrant wave was in 761-5 (somewhere in there). That means Deathgate gone over a decade without being resupplied. I still need to try and trigger a dorfsplosion (scheduled for Winter at this point) to try and up our numbers. As a compromising to danger rooming, we could lower the CHILD_AGE in the raws; it won't affect any children already born, but anyone born after could grow up faster. my thoughts towards this though are similar to my danger room ones ...

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 10, 2012, 03:01:45 am »

Well, we can lessen the cheat by only using 1 or 2 training spears.  Less spears equal slower training, so it's slightly less broken.  Depends how low their combat skills are and how much of a boost they need.

Still though, they sound like super dwarves already.  And what better way to add to the epic that is Deathgate with a dying civilization making Demi-Dwarves as super-soldiers/weapons of mass dwarfstruction.

Oh and, if the leader of the CARP marines isn't named yet, I'd like a redorf. (because my dorf is probably long dead.)  Baring the leader, any will do.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 10, 2012, 03:20:30 am »

Id actually recommend that you go full danger room, even if just on one specific CARP dwarf (perhaps the squad leader?).  Having just one insanely leveled dwarf in decent gear makes a world of difference against demons.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 10, 2012, 03:48:55 am »

I thought we were going all natural!

Take it from someone who's done it twice - If there haven't been any migrants in a decade, the civ is dead and all that remains are the ones in your fort.  Protect them however you can, because there aren't any more coming and the current ones aren't likely to breed.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 10, 2012, 03:49:42 am »

I thought we were going all natural!

We did!  We invaded and conquered hell without a dangeroom.
But now the Basement of Murder has gone extinct, and we may never get reinforcements again.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 175