Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837156 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2070 on: June 22, 2012, 05:48:34 pm »

Ugh, I'm exhausted, so this will be a quick update, then I'll flush it out later. Poor internet again == no images. Fort is in late Autumn, so the end is nearly here.

Journal of Id 'NCommander' Matucog Italnis Gesis
10th Timber 777
===

It's quite awhile since I've updated it, and it has been a long day so I'll keep this quick and to the point. Summer been busy.

The goblins tried to ambush us just as we emerged from CARP training, but two entire waves, and several waves fell victim to the many cage traps while trying to get in. While I was disappointed to not have a chance to send the military after them, I am pleased that our supply of training partners has been replenished.

The aqueduct's mechanisms have been finished, and I've deployed the device.Even now, water has flooded down over 70 z levels, and is quickly approaching hell. So much movement is making it feel like time itself is slowing down ...

In other news, Deathgate welcomes our first three elites; the first these halls have seen in many years. I've even been awarded a nickname for my efforts on improving the military, with a total of five kills to my name now. As I write, another two approach hero status, so I can say with much certianity that by the end of the year, Deathgate will have five heros. I've ordered them to don military armor, and bolt forging continues at an exceptional pace; silver bolts have done much to increase our lethality, mowing down a few goblins with each salvo we unload.

With the supply of training goblins reloaded, and the beginning of pump training by the military, I look forward to having some of our axedwarfs try their hand in real combat conditions. Perpahs if we're lucky, we might even get an axelord or two ...

Now journal, I must rest, but I will update you again as soon as possible.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 22, 2012, 06:10:03 pm »

Yay, update time! What's the FPS now? You mentioned it had slowed down.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »

So you managed to get the BATTERY working?  Or is the aquaduct a simple "hack into the lack and run" design?

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »

Wow, it got quiet in here. Also, no page 2 for you.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 27, 2012, 01:09:04 am »

I'm getting the feeling that this thread is dead
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 27, 2012, 02:06:25 am »

If you've been following the progress of this fort so far, there have been several periods like this. It's understandable with a fortress of this age, and the closure of applications likely also had an effect. I doubt Deathgate is dead quite yet...
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »

NCommander, it's been your turn for over a month.

On a side note, Murdermachines will have a two week deadline per turn.  I'm getting sick of these month-long barely updated turns.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »

Don't know how I missed the no registration part.
I would like to sign up for a turn in Deathgate 2.0 then. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 29, 2012, 04:30:07 am »

So updates yet? This is getting a bit ridiculous   :-\
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:58 am »

The only thing staying my hand is the CARP Marines.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2080 on: June 29, 2012, 07:16:35 am »

The only thing staying my hand is the CARP Marines.

*gulp*.

The fort stablized at FPS: 14 roughly (it has been running at about 5 for my entire run). I don't have time for large updates, so I'm going to power through winter tonight/tomorrow, give a quick summary, and bugger out of Murdermachines because my life has taken a hectic turn.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2081 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

The following entry is written in an extremely shaky hand

10th Moonstone
===

I ... I can't even begin to describe the carnage ...

A dwarven cavern arrived at the very end of autunm, just as they usually do. The goblins though, were waiting. Just as the cavern crossed the threshold into Deathgate, a force 100 strong*

The earlier ambuishes, they were to set off our traps in advance. 30 goblins were caught in cages in the last two months, and our cage traps were not restocked in time. All that stood between us and them was the row of traps on the Deathbridge. The few mechanics who were struck down provided the only warning but none survived.

I shouted for the Axedwarfs to respond to the surface, to guard our end of the bridge, and shouted for the lever to be pulled, but no one was close enough (or willing) to go and pull it. Our axedwarfs stood ready, and the goblins, backed by their trolls charged into the weapon traps across the bridge.

By the gods, the thing is covered in blood.

As they reached the end, the few who managed to race from the Hellbunker to the surface began to fight, and fight they did. Were it not for their sacrificial today, Deathgate will have certainly fallen.

Knowing that it was the only was, five of them charged across the bridge, under a hail of arrows. One fell and triggered a trap, but the others soldered on. Each one entered a martial trance, and was thus in turn struck down, but not before taking at least ten goblins with them.

What was once a massive force suddenly began to be cut down one after another. Each of our brave warriors gave their lives in as true dwarfs. In a matter of moments it was over. Our solders, wounded, and laying on the ground did not go quietly, nor dd they go in vein. Each fought until death itself found them. They shall all be remembered for this. I shall see to it myself if I have to.

As it stands, Deathgate's military has weathered its first true battle, and while my methods of training have been proven, the price paid was far too high.

Fatalities:
2 MarkCARPs
4 4 7 AxeCARPs
5 civilizans.
A *lot* of turkeys and other animals.

Fortress Population: 47 44

* - seriously, four pages of goblins showed up. I didn't take screenshots though. I'll pick through the logs and figure out the dead. I know scalliper 2 died for sure.

NRDL, Eldes II, Baelor, Krosan, and myself survived of the named military dwarfs
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:45:53 am by NCommander »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:08 am »

Did That Aussie Dwarf evade the carnage this time?

Also, I'd recommend a redesign of that front entrance - A retractable bridge instead of flooring with the lever down in the dining hall.  The open doorway is just an invitation to extinction now, especially if Deathgate's attracting 100-strong goblin sieges.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2083 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:59 am »

Did That Aussie Dwarf evade the carnage this time?

Also, I'd recommend a redesign of that front entrance - A retractable bridge instead of flooring with the lever down in the dining hall.  The open doorway is just an invitation to extinction now, especially if Deathgate's attracting 100-strong goblin sieges.

It might still fall. The goblins decided to push again instead of retreat, and there isn't a lot of military left at this point. Then again, their also only a few goblins left. The question is which succumb to their wounds first.

EDIT: For the moment yes, but your heading out the back entrance, and I can't figure out why, nor do I see a door to lock in your path.

EDIT 2: What's left of the axedwarfs are resting injuries, TAD saw the goblins, and .... I dunno where he's going, we're down to two markdwarves, but I think I can get the fort sealed now that the main party has left. The trap staircase is still loaded so it might mop up what's left of the goblins (about 10-15 still mulling out of the original seige).

EDIT 3: NRDL just died. Two axedwarfs left, two speardwarfs that I forgot to muster (though they have no armor, so last resort), and four marksdwarfs. No one has yet pulled to drawbridge lever ...

EDIT 4: TAD made it to the trap staircase, decided it was save to go reload that cage trap, and went straight into the path of a goblin. Oops

EDIT 5: And now I realize we had a fortress interior burrow that I forgot to activate the alert on. Fuck.

(I have a save just before it all went to fucking hell. While I think DG will still be standing at the end of my year, it might be better if I best hand of the save just BEFORE it went to crap to someone else and see if they fair better)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:04:13 am by NCommander »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 29, 2012, 09:01:03 am »

Actually had a better thought about defense, if you can get the place secure.  How about a retractable bridge over the open gap, rigged to creature-sensitive pressure plates on the non-fort side.  Goblins rush across, goblins kill themselves, reset and repeat while CARP dwarves laugh and toss strawberry pips from the upper balcony.

edit:
EDIT 4: TAD made it to the trap staircase, decided it was safe to go reload that cage trap, and went straight into the path of a goblin. Oops

NOOOOO!!!  You're supposed to be a danger-fleeing ingenious little bastard of a dwarf.  *Sniff* poor little insane mastermind...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:03:30 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 175