Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 836850 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2100 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »

Where's the Fun if everything's easy? I'll start with the later save in a few hours (can't tie up the internet AT ALL right now, so I'll have to wait)

EDIT: Downloaded the save and I'm taking a look now.
UPDATE: Wow. I mean, I'd studied the layout of the fort, so the lovecraftian architecture doesn't really faze me, but who in the hells decided it would be a good idea to have about 50 cats? We have more cats than people here! Also, dogs, geese, turkeys, ducks, and peahens. I'm probably going to be atom-smashing them all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:31:03 pm by Eldes »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2101 on: July 02, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »

I'd like to officially apologize on the length of my turn. As it stands, RL for me has had a serious meltdown, and ... beh, I can't excuse it.

I am thankful for those who were understanding, but I think I need to bail out of the DF/DG community for awhile and try and get my personal **** sorted.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »

UPDATE: Also, dogs, geese, turkeys, ducks, and peahens. I'm probably going to be atom-smashing them all.
ducks

Don't kill them! Just release them into Hell. It'll work out fine. probably.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 02, 2012, 07:31:28 pm »

Well, given the track record of ducks in Deathgate, it just might work better than CARP Marines.
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:03 pm »

I've never been a supporter of the whole duckotron thing. Tell ya what, though, I'll move all the ducks into another area before I conduct the mass slaughter. My plan is to use AnimaRytak II's tomb as animal storage, since someone already packed it full of dogs and cats, and dig a tunnel to the volcano, flooding the room and incinerating the bodies. The coffin and door are both magma-safe, so there shouldn't be a problem.

One slight update though - I'm at late Spring, and we've been sieged. 3 squads, and 9 military dwarves left. The only access to the surface I can find is through the 3-z-level hallway of cages, but if anyone knows of another that could pose a risk, tell me now. Also, I've started to put down most of the ghosts, and have begun moving the stockpiles down closer to hell in preparation for my reordering of the upper levels. I'll have a full update at the end of summer.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2105 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »

I've never been a supporter of the whole duckotron thing. Tell ya what, though, I'll move all the ducks into another area before I conduct the mass slaughter. My plan is to use AnimaRytak II's tomb as animal storage, since someone already packed it full of dogs and cats, and dig a tunnel to the volcano, flooding the room and incinerating the bodies. The coffin and door are both magma-safe, so there shouldn't be a problem.

One slight update though - I'm at late Spring, and we've been sieged. 3 squads, and 9 military dwarves left. The only access to the surface I can find is through the 3-z-level hallway of cages, but if anyone knows of another that could pose a risk, tell me now. Also, I've started to put down most of the ghosts, and have begun moving the stockpiles down closer to hell in preparation for my reordering of the upper levels. I'll have a full update at the end of summer.

Wow, what the hell did we do to piss off the goblins?! They've been leaving us alone for ages.

(that being said, the siege might have been triggered due to the loose goblins in the live firing range above the hellbunker. the squad with three all have Markdwarf heros, the 2 were training to become it, and the rest were axedwarfs. I think the speardwarfs fell out of their squads during the shuffling, you might want to readd them and make sure they get equipped).

If you want to completely seal the fort, their's a second level just next to the hospital on Z-110(?), which closes the gold bridge. I think I managed to plug up all the other holes in Deathgate leading to the surface (though you might want to wall off the archery bridge I built, as it wasn't concluded before my turn was ever).
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 03, 2012, 04:58:49 pm »

OK, I'm at early summer, and my plans are proceeding, but at a glacial pace. The siege is still on, the invaders are slowly circling down the cage traps, but I think they know there are more traps ahead, cause they've kind of stopped advancing. The clean-up and reorganizing is taking even longer, because the 43 dwarves I have are trying to do more than even 200 could handle. I've been able to lock and seal many rooms, with no appreciable FPS dent. I would like to ask, for the sake of FPS and an epic end to the fort, can I use DFHack's Autodump and/or Fastdwarf to make this go at a speed other than "hell no"?

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 06, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »

OK guys, I don't usually double-post, but I need an answer on this. My FPS is typically somewhere between 10 and 5, and it's taking hours to get anything done. Just for the sake of FPS, I would REALLY like to be able to get rid of all the trash this fort has accumulated in one go.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 06, 2012, 04:02:39 pm »

Someone see if you can whistle up Anima and get his read.

For my piece, at this point we've pretty much taken the gloves off anyway and generated the danger-room-trained CARPs; autodumping just to make things playable isn't that much of a step up, especially since we appear to be getting to the point where Deathgate is so sprawling, overblown, and crazy that it's melting computers.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:03 pm »

Well, what I had hoped to do was move everything of value into stockpiles in the lower fort, dump all the worthless crap into lava or an atom smasher, and wall off the unused sections. Also, I've been trying to enlarge any high-volume small hallways and the like, to try to improve pathing. Anything to squeeze an FPS or two out of the game. Thing is, the game runs so slow, it takes over 24 hours for a single season, and that's without a siege slowing things down even more. If I don't get SOME kind of shortcut, I'll have to give up the turn in early summer, because this is almost unplayable at this speed.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2110 on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:13 pm »

Well, what I had hoped to do was move everything of value into stockpiles in the lower fort, dump all the worthless crap into lava or an atom smasher, and wall off the unused sections. Also, I've been trying to enlarge any high-volume small hallways and the like, to try to improve pathing. Anything to squeeze an FPS or two out of the game. Thing is, the game runs so slow, it takes over 24 hours for a single season, and that's without a siege slowing things down even more. If I don't get SOME kind of shortcut, I'll have to give up the turn in early summer, because this is almost unplayable at this speed.

It was worse during my turn :-/.

FPS 5 is absolutely painful.

If you don't plan doing anything silly with magma, turning temp/weather off gets it to mid-20s as of the 776 save.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 07, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »

If you don't plan doing anything silly with magma, turning temp/weather off gets it to mid-20s as of the 776 save.

I think temp is already off: I know I saw snow on some outside lava during one of my turns.

Aside from widening hallways, most of this seems like a pretty fair idea. Try walling off some of the unused areas of the fort: If nothing can get inside, nothing paths through it, which should save some computing power, at least I think so.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »

Aside from widening hallways, most of this seems like a pretty fair idea. Try walling off some of the unused areas of the fort: If nothing can get inside, nothing paths through it, which should save some computing power, at least I think so.

That's what I've been trying to do, but I have 42 dwarves to use to collect everything of value, dump the crap so the comp doesn't have to keep track of it, and wall off the rooms, at the same time as a siege, running at about 15 FPS (with temp off). Slow doesn't begin to describe it.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

That's what I've been trying to do, but I have 42 dwarves to use to collect everything of value, dump the crap so the comp doesn't have to keep track of it, and wall off the rooms, at the same time as a siege, running at about 15 FPS (with temp off). Slow doesn't begin to describe it.

If it weren't for the siege, I'd advise you to leave it running, and check on it only once every 15 minutes or so. Keep in mind, this is a particularly venerable fortress. Most succession games don't last this long, unless I'm much mistaken.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2114 on: July 07, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »

If you don't mind making the UI a bit laggy, you can adjust the G_FPS in the init.txt file which should at least make time in the fort pass more quickly at the cost of UI updates.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 175