Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837136 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2115 on: July 07, 2012, 11:38:55 pm »

.....I'd not mind usage of DF's autodump command if that'd help
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 08, 2012, 12:35:50 pm »

OK, with temp off and GFPS 15, I'm getting 20-ish FPS. It's still pretty slow, but I'll let this run for a while, see how it goes.

Also, interesting to note - a brewer tried to use the cage trap hallway to go outside to clean himself (don't ask why, it makes no sense), and when the bowgobs shot at him, he batted the arrows out of the air. It sounded pretty badass.
UPDATE: Sorry, spoke too soon, he's dead now.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 08, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »

OK, with temp off and GFPS 15, I'm getting 20-ish FPS. It's still pretty slow, but I'll let this run for a while, see how it goes.

Also, interesting to note - a brewer tried to use the cage trap hallway to go outside to clean himself (don't ask why, it makes no sense), and when the bowgobs shot at him, he batted the arrows out of the air. It sounded pretty badass.
UPDATE: Sorry, spoke too soon, he's dead now.

What is the name of this badass brewer, who uses booby traps to cleanse himself, and ignores the laws of archery?
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 08, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »

What is the name of this badass brewer, who uses booby traps to cleanse himself, and ignores the laws of archery?

Amost Admebzuth. Although, he wasn't using the cage traps, he was going through the only accessable entryway to a water source, since all the wells I've found are dry or "bucket full". He managed to bat 7 arrows out of the air before the others killed him, though. Whoever thought fortifications in that chamber were a good thing should be shot.
This is the corridor I'm talking about:

Also, just for the curious, this is the list of current ghosts:

I've already started putting them down. 2 down, 17 to go. And they DO need to be put down. One just stole a masterwork candy gauntlet.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 08, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »

... No, see, that's why they *don't* need to be put down. The dwarves have more important things to worry about.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 08, 2012, 11:07:52 pm »

It's not really a huge priority - I just queue up some slap engravings, when I notice they're done I plant the slabs and do the next set. A few at a time, trying to focus on the thieves. My primary focus is still in getting everything moved, but it's hard when people have tucked freaky stockpiles into literally every inaccessible corner of this wretched place.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »

lol. That's why you should let the ghosts stick around. They're helping to clean up.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 08, 2012, 11:58:04 pm »

Sorry for the lack of attention I've been paying.  Both my desktop and laptop developed severe problems at the same time.

And the lack of rp'd journal entries makes me a sad panda.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:57 am »

Well, I'm really bat at RPing, sorry.

And I don't really mind them stealing crap, but masterwork armor can be used to equip a new military. If I could just get all the crap in one place, I could easily work with it from there, but this place is just an incomprehensible web of interconnecting corridors, stairs, aqueducts, lava tubes, tree-filled hallways, fortifications, and Lovecraftian rooms. Seriously, I half expect to find my screen turning itself inside-out trying to render this fort.

Complaining aside, I am making some headway. There are less than a dozen invaders left free, a large number of animals are in a pen, waiting to be incinerated, and a bunch of trash has been moved (not that I really know where to...)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 09, 2012, 01:22:56 am »

[ ... ] and a bunch of trash has been moved (not that I really know where to...)
By now you should say "not that I really care about where to"... or maybe "BURN! DAMMIT!"...

Come summer, overseers are usually either stark raving mad or struck by melancholy (or maybe indifference or apathy). Not that most of them were all that sane to begin with, I guess.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 09, 2012, 01:43:53 am »

[ ... ] and a bunch of trash has been moved (not that I really know where to...)
By now you should say "not that I really care about where to"... or maybe "BURN! DAMMIT!"...

Come summer, overseers are usually either stark raving mad or struck by melancholy (or maybe indifference or apathy). Not that most of them were all that sane to begin with, I guess.
I wouldn't really care except that every item still in existence is one more for the computer to track. From what I've read, the biggest FPS drain is from items, second biggest is pathing. Theoretically, if I could get rid of every single unneeded item on the map, we could run as high as 50 FPS. Or more, with the lower pathing requirements. That, IMO, would make the eventual finale for this fort entirely worth any use of autodump or fastdwarf during my turn.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 09, 2012, 05:12:01 am »

At least one other overseer gives a damn about the ghost problem.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2127 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:03 am »

At least one other overseer gives a damn about the ghost problem.

I slabbed about 3-4 during my turn, but got fed up with the itnerface (34 makes it easier to slab if nothing else).

Some of the ghosts however are not on the list :-/

Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 10, 2012, 06:45:43 am »

I wasn't actually thinking about it, but you're probably right now that you mention it. Now that the dwarven race is down to, what, forty-odd souls? We probably COULD get some decent FPS out of this beast if we could declutter the place.

I think the best thing about the update that added subterranean features back in WAS the fact that forts were now free to sprawl in hundreds of layers. I'm sure at this point some of the pathways in that fortress have dwarves tracing arcane runes of horror and pain with their feet. Like that highway from the book Good Omens that channels evil with its shape and taints the world a little bit every time someone drives it.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

So what's the verdict? Can I use Autodump a few times to clean up, or fastdwarf to get them to actually finish some jobs, or do I just keep playing normally?
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 175