Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837014 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2145 on: July 14, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »

I wouldn't bother opening the front door.  Nothing good comes from the outside world anymore so you may as well wall it off and leave the last dwarves in the world in their tomb

I don't object to this course of action.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 14, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »

Eh, why the hell not. Goodbye, cruel surface world, with your flaming painsphere and your cannibalistic tree-humpers!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 14, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »

What?

We seriously lifted the danger room restriction to train superdwarves, and they still get fed into the meatgrinder?

Lulz.

It'd be nice if Toady or some modder would implement a workaround for this sort of thing. Right now having a fortress outlive the civ kinda sucks.

That said, by the sound of it we'll eventually be able to CONTROL big parts of the civ, which might help with that. In the interim, though, a "procreate" option that requests dwarves make love FOR THEIR COUNTRY would be damned useful.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

At the very least, there should be a "Your fortress is the last bastion of your civilization" pop-up

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:16 am »

I wouldn't bother opening the front door.  Nothing good comes from the outside world anymore so you may as well wall it off and leave the last dwarves in the world in their tomb

+1

It's not like there's anything really valuable up there anyway.  And there's enough to contend with down below. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: July 15, 2012, 04:00:37 pm »

Sorry about that, BTW, the sarcophagus is still intact, but someone was already using it to store animals

Oh that asshole!
Who used my tomb as a barn?!
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: July 15, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »

No idea, but it's filled with lava now. Most of the furniture was actually magma-safe, so just the engravings suffered when I turned temp back on.

Also, I've gotten the FPS from below 10 to about 20, with fluctuations running as high as 50 at times, more once the lava flow into the aforementioned tomb stops and I finish walling places off.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

Hooray! Deathgate is saved... ish.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 17, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »

Hey! It's now springtime, and I'm writing up my summary of the year, but the short version - the surface is abandoned, over 50,000 items have been autodumped, over 140 animals have been burned alive or slaughtered, and FPS is now...

50+

UPDATE: Here's the writeup!
Well, that was an interesting year.

Three artifacts were made, all out of raw adamantine:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4 or 5 dwarves died, one trying to go through a horde of bowgobs to clean in the river, one sent in a futile attempt to clear them out or draw them into more traps, at least two in bed, from neglect... I don't remember if any of them were named.

I managed to wall off most of the upper floors, but with all the interconnecting passageways, it got hard to tell what's connected to what. Also, most of the sealed areas are just locked, they can be walled off if necessary, but nothing's pathing through them, so they don't affect FPS. The surface is also sealed off, with actual walls, at all entrances.

I dumped over 50,000 items, all atom-smashed. That includes everything outside, everything beyond the Hellbunker, hidden in tunnels, out in the caverns, everything at all deemed non-essential.
   Most of the loose stone, minus economic or valuable stone; over 11,000 boulders.
   All the coins that some asshole idiot overseer made; over 2000.
   All the stone blocks; another few thousand.
   All the trash-quality or damaged clothing I could find; over 10,000.
   Bins of cloth, leather, crap armor, excess furniture, barrels of blood, ichor, etc (still some left - dump them sometime); cleaned out both trade depots, which I think was never actually done; that's a few thousand more.
   Corpses, including the thousands of (h)idden ones; body parts, including most of the bones, horns, skulls, shells, etc (may cause mood problems later, but oh well); at least 15,000
   More misc. stuff that I forget at the moment.
The Atom Smasher is on level -4, here:

The lever right next to it activates it. It is also the only garbage dump zone in the fort. Having more than one active one causes massive job and pathing confusion.

Someone had shoved almost 100 animals into AnimaRytak II's tomb, so I just continued that - I assigned every animal in the fort to a pasture in there, dug a tunnel to the volcano, and flooded the lot.

I didn't actually get more than half the animals, but I was already in mid-summer, and I figured with half the animals dead, the FPS would jump so I could butcher more. Plus we needed meat. The animals that didn't get into the burning tomb, I marked for butchering.
There are now 11 animals left in the fort (yes, that includes a breeding pair of ducks for you weirdos).

Two children grew to maturity, so we now have 2 more eligible peasants to put into the military, or use as whatever. The fort's population stands at 40, with 7 military dwarves in 3 squads.

AS far as the ghost situation goes, I put down 17 of them, but some of the worst aren't even on the list. There's a violent ghost last seen in the upper-level hospital, who ripped the leg off a miner. I think he's still alive, but he was faint when I saw him. There are a couple of stubborn ghosts in the lower fort dining hall who like to terrorize people and cause tantrums. Here's the list, as it appears in the (u)nits screen:

Some of the ghosts wandering around aren't in the (u) screen, nor are they listed in the slab engraving screen, some exist on one list but not the other... it's very Lovecraftian, as befits a fort of this age.

As far as general issues go, we may have a slight morale problem, but I think if future overseers keep putting down ghosts and don't smash any more masterworks (at least not of the living), we shouldn't have any problems. The booze is running out because I didn't realize we didn't have any farming, brewable plants, harvestable plants, or brewers for at least a year, so I started up some new farms:

They're in an old aqueduct tunnel, but they should serve to keep 40 dwarves plastered for a while. They're all set up and everything.

I figured out why the wells in the lower fort didn't work - they kept flooding because of the aforementioned aqueduct. It was making the wells unusable. I think. So I opened up a small section of unused tunnel to act as outflow, to lower the water level, so the wells should work until booze production picks up. The first crop of plump helmets is coming in, so it won't be long.

This place was a bloody mess. Literally. Note to all future overseers, and anyone reading this - Clean up your forts! Empty the trade depots every few years, dump trash into lava or smashers, get rid of corpses, (h) doesn't actually make things disappear! Otherwise, your forts will die rapid FPS death, and I will be haunting them until you abandon!

z Status screen:

Save upcoming:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6680
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:02:01 pm by Eldes »

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56:32 pm »

I think this says it all. About the fortress as a whole, too.
Corpses...; at least 15,000
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 17, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »

I think this says it all. About the fortress as a whole, too.
Corpses...; at least 15,000

Heh, yeah it kinda does, doesn't it. The entire entry bridge had corpses stacked 3-8 high, all hidden. There were more corpses piled on the slopes around the entrance, as well as in the huge empty rooms near that level. It was an epic mess.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

And so, now having sold our souls to Hackitus the World-Shaper, Prince of Devilry and Lord of Chaos, we toil away in untold dark, whiling away the days, knowing that year by year, hour by hour, the dwarf race totters closer and closer to extinction.

I demand that someone roll adventurer mode as the last dwarf in the world, claim a suit of masterwork gear from Deathgate, and then kill the Demon King of the Human Empire.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 17, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »

I demand that someone roll adventurer mode as the last dwarf in the world, claim a suit of masterwork gear from Deathgate, and then kill the Demon King of the Human Empire.

+1 for hell yes. Only when Deathgate gives up the ghost(s) though.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »

A well-placed linked hatch and pressure plate can give you a self-refilling well, Eldes.

Also, is ThatAussieDwarf still alive?

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »

A well-placed linked hatch and pressure plate can give you a self-refilling well, Eldes.

Also, is ThatAussieDwarf still alive?
I figured there was an easier way to do it, but that's not the setup we had. The well should last for a while, though, with only 40 dwarves left. And, last time I looked, he was alive and well.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 175