Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 835570 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2355 on: September 22, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »

Excerpts from the Journal of Irony II Fikodavuz
Deathgate, Last Stronghold of the Basement of Murders
Year 779

[Part 0: Epidemic]

Part 1: Beginnings

Part 2: Dwarves of Deathgate

NCommander's account of the connections between Upper and Lower Deathgate (Before my turn, several walls have since been removed.)

Part 3: The Widening Gyre

Part 4: The Blood-dimmed Tide is Loosed

24 Limestone
He's finally done it. Not content with merely wounding dwarves, our tormentor has outright killed someone. Ripped off his head, right there in the wood furnace where he was working. No one will go near the place now.

The worst thing is, when I saw what had happened, I... I don't know what came over me.

I laughed. I laughed at the mangled corpse lying before me, and the terrible shadow that had done it. And couldn't stop laughing. Kosoth, NCommander, and NRDL had to carry me back to my quarters because I was paralyzed with that insane laughter. Once they had left me there I kept on until I was hoarse. Only when she came did I return to myself. Only then did the full reality of what I had seen set in.

This madness has to end before he kills us all.

10 Sandstone
Today I observed as the first stage of the aqueduct was filled with water. Now what remains is to hook the floodgates up to a lever, channel out the last few connections down below, and release the riverthe aquifer.

There is much left to do before year's end. I hope I can find time to keep record of it all in here.

16 Timber
Amidst the continued toppling of beds and coffins by our ghostly ancestors, news reached us that a caravan from the outer lands had actually arrived !

And of course, so did a goblin ambush. Three of the caravan guards were killed in the ensuing battle, but most of the goblins were defeated either by the remaining guards or by our bridge.

[OCC: This bridge once again saved the fortress. I didn't even notice the goblins had made it that far, since I was too busy watching caravan guards get slaughtered. Apparently spiked silver balls are somewhat effective.]

27 Timber
Since our last trader died at the beginning of the year, the nearest dwarf to the trade depot took it upon himself to conduct negotiations. For his initiative and successful negotiation, "renegadelobster" has now been appointed official broker.

Since my last entry, we obtained several bags of gypsum plaster, as well as sand, food, and booze from the dwarven caravan, in exchange for bins of old clothing that will no doubt seem like treasures to the wandering dwarf clans. Another child was stricken by the demon plague, and joins Doren in the hospital.

Speaking of Doren, I haven't heard how his surgery went. I've been so busy, and still am... I'd better get down there as soon as I can.

WINTER 779

And everywhere, the ceremony of innocence is drowned...

3 Moonstone
[The ink is blotted and smeared, the writing sloppy and difficult to read even without the puddles of ink.]
[Doren] ... [d]octor? Where was [his] assistant? Why ... happen? He survived the [illegible] of demons, but not [the] [la]ziness of his fellows, nor the jealous [dead.(?)]

All for nought. All for nought.

[illegible] [M]other [illegible] I will see him [illegible]

9 Moonstone
Degel Monangzon has entered adulthood. I set her to work immediately on the aqueduct. It must be finished at all costs before year's end.

11 Moonstone
Met with mother again today. I think I almost heard something.

14 Moonstone
The merchants have departed. Now that we have what we needed, I've ordered the gate sealed.

1 Opal
Once more he strikes, the enemy of our lives. This time the object of his envy was Kol Kalantulon, recently elevated Head Mechanic, and keystone of our future plans. She lost her right hand, but escaped with her life.

16 Opal
Reports of loud noises in the Areltulon, which I have now personally verified, suggest that the Forgotten Beast we had seen earlier in the upper lake has descended through the aqueduct and now waits just beyond the bridge at its lower end. It might be possible, with careful planning, to flush him into hell.

But I cannot deal with that now. The aqueduct nears completion.

18 Opal
Sodel Febmidor, a year old child, practically an infant, has been taken by a mood.

She claimed a mason's workshop this morning. Hopefully she can find what she needs. I do not look forward to Scaliper's face if she does not.

20 Opal
She has begun construction on a mysterious object!

25 Opal
Sodel completed her work. Barely a year old and she crafted an adamatine cabinet, and no ordinary adamantine cabinet either.

29 Opal
The aqueduct is almost finished. All that remains is to connect the floodgates to a lever, set up the last few walls and floodgates, and it will be ready for operation.

7 Obsidian
The lever has been pulled! But... the water is not flowing. I don't understand.

The best lack all conviction,...

8 Obsidian
I still don't see why it didn't work, but I may have a solution. Now if only the miners can reach it safely.

11 Obsidian
Well... the water is finally flowing. But apparently someone cracked the base of the stairway on that level, and the very hallway on which we placed the control lever flooded. Not too deeply, and the lever was pulled once more, but still. That was close. The entire fortress could have been drowned.

14 Obsidian
In my haste to finish this project, I fear I have made a serious error. I connected Deathgate's existing water supply to the dry wells under the hospital, thinking that with these connected, the water from the third aqueduct could keep both at an even, drinkable level. However, since the aqueduct is currently not flowing, water levels throughout Lower Deathgate have dropped dangerously low, and there is significant risk of foliage clogging the works, just as it already has the original aqueducts.

We desperately need to get this flowing.

...while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

21 Obsidian
The floors have been reinforced, and the aqueduct is flowing once more. However, it is flowing much slower than expected. We shouldn't have any overgrowth problems in the main channel, but if it can't refill the old channels in Deathgate soon, we will have to send woodcutters down into the pipes.

And all that will likely be someone else's responsibility, as Mayor Rigothvir has said she has something else for me to do come Spring.

22 Obsidian
Yet another ghost has risen.

26 Obsidian
Yet more complications! A stoneshaper wandered into the draining well and was nearly swept down to his death. Somehow he managed to swim against the current and climb up the old stairway used to build the well, all the while with water pouring down around him, and escape.

I don't know what he was doing in there in the first place, but we clearly need to wall off or door off all access to that tunnel. Well, I say we. Whoever the mayor puts in charge after me.

27 Obsidian
Again! This time the head carpenter, Mitchewawa, tried to clean himself in the torrential downpour, lost his footing, and was severely injured.

The Mad Fool risked his own life to pull him from the churning waters, and carry him down to the hospital, but I don't know if he will make it.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

28 Obsidian
And so my year comes to an end. Kosoth has said she wants me working with her more closely this year, so she has given over command of the fort's daily operations to ThatAussieDwarf. I have no doubt that he can manage at least as well as I.

Our tormentor is still at large. I could find no way to end his reign of terror, though at last perhaps I have a clue. Today, after my meeting with the mayor, I saw my mother again. This time, this time when she tried to speak, I heard her voice.

It was nothing like the voice I remembered, but I knew it all the same.

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

She said, in a whisper that sounded like a thousand trumpets,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:34:43 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 22, 2012, 08:59:30 pm »

His hour come round at last:

The Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6957
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:32:41 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 22, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »

Soon.... Soon... It will be my turn again...

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 22, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »

Speaking of, I can upload the save now. Sec.

edit: done
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:33:50 pm by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

Yes. Soon, it will be, your hour come round at last.

Speaking of, I can upload the save now. Sec.

What else can I say except

edit:  Sweet Armok, what have you done?  I'm going to have cauterize that breach at the BATTEREY's old aquifer pool with magma, just in the vain hope the lower fortress isn't going to get flooded.  This could flood the whole fortress if I don't stop it.

edit2:  Crisis averted.  I managed to floor over part of the channel to block it off.  Though that water's going to fill the rest of the system straight through, it won't actually harm the fortress now.

Never mind, I over-reacted.  The water flow peters out and I doubt it'll reach the lower fort in any significant quantity.  Time for an upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:38:26 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure there isn't a breach. Just some water that got out during my first abortive attempt to unleash the aquifer. The up stairs should have been sufficient to contain it.

But yeah... It needs an upgrade.

I assume you are talking about the mud and water on |95|

Also, first two posts updated with actual content.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:06:22 pm by wlerin »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 22, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

Good God. 

May I ask how my...dorf...medic is doing? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:31 pm »

NRDL is still alive an well. I think. He's had plenty to do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 22, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »

Good God. 

He's busily constructing rock blocks at the moment.  I do have a death to report though - Velard died in the tunnels, doing a masonry job.  He didn't wall himself in, he just died of thirst.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 22, 2012, 11:09:29 pm »

So...he's not currently in the military? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 22, 2012, 11:11:09 pm »

Good God. 

He's busily constructing rock blocks at the moment.  I do have a death to report though - Velard died in the tunnels, doing a masonry job.  He didn't wall himself in, he just died of thirst.

Wut... how... huh?

And atm only the Marksdwarves are in the Military. Thaddeus had nerve damage (and he's worse now), I needed NRDL on medical duty, most other military dwarves were skillless, leaving just Scaliper. So I disbanded the melee divisions and consolidated the Marksdwarves into one squad. There's no militia commander, so I wasn't able to delete the empty squads.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:14:09 pm by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 22, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »

The Aussie Journals - Deathgate, Vol II.

Granite 1, 780.

I have taken control of the fort for another year, this time by most nefarious scheme yet - I simply asked wlerin if "I could have a go at leading".  Surprisingly, he said yes and handed over the hat and badge.  I have fetched my mighty Didgerdoo-stuff stick of beating from my quarters and am already putting my plans into motion for Operation Red Shield.

ThatAussieGuy Project - Operation Red Shield.

-Seal the population in the lower fortress, ensure the supplies and farms are all located in the safe areas.
-Flood the remaining fortress with magma so that no filthy surfacefolk may find the last surviving Dwarves of the Basement of Murder.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 22, 2012, 11:14:49 pm »

Atlantis sucks compared to us. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 22, 2012, 11:16:28 pm »

I tried to work on the BATTERY a bit during my turn, but other things kept requiring Carpenters and Architects, so it's still only about 3/5ths of the way done.

The biggest problem with your plan will be assembling enough magmasafe components for the screwpumps. I made a few glass corkscrews, and bought some sand from the dwarven caravan to make more, but you'll probably need a lot more. (Yes, there are still dwarves out there somewhere, but we are the last mountainhome--the rest are dispossessed vagabonds, I'd assume.) Might have to melt down some iron or steel gear we no longer need. Or.... can they be made out of adamantine? We've plenty of that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:20:08 pm by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:29 pm »

As this is kind-of unstoppable and will take some planning, I need a confirmation from the Deathgate Parliament (ie: you lot) to put Operation Red Shield into effect.

What say you, Parliament?  Shall I safeguard our people with the majestic red liquid permanently?
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 175