Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837963 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2415 on: September 26, 2012, 09:26:56 am »

I didn't notice this before, but he said "outer lands" vs. "Mountianhomes" which is what the trader usually says.

Is that because we are the mountianhome, or because dwarfs have gone extinct?
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:41 am »

Probably because we are the mountainhome. But it could be the other ... I don't know.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: September 26, 2012, 10:03:45 am »

Not gonna lie, I did miss that update.  Either that or I mistook it for the Human traders.  And yes I did trade adamantine weapons as I thought this was a new development.  Went for the big spend as we had no real combat threats to the fort and it should (if at ALL possible), entice migrants.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: September 26, 2012, 10:15:43 am »

Yeh, re-reading it, it wasn't immediately clear they were the dwarf traders. But I had mentioned the possibility of dwarf traders several times before (and the human traders had already come and gone, with Mitchewawa blithely ignoring them the entire season).
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: September 26, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

Dwarven traders and their guards don't exist until they show up at your fort, and they no longer exist as soon as they leave. No dwarves exist, then suddenly, poof! here's 6 (or however many) dwarves in a caravan. Once they leave the map, they return to non-existence. The only effect those candy weapons will have is that the next caravan should be super rich.

I believe how the game works right now is that migrants are all now existing world entities. Since no dwarven entities exist in this world (outside of Deathgate), there will never be any more migrants, ever, no matter what we do (unless someone hacks the save).

Deathgate is on its own. Abandon hope all ye who enter here! But enter here anyway; we've got doomburgers!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: September 26, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

Can we engrave that over the entrance? 'Cause that would be awesome.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:11 pm »

I'd make a comment, but that would require coming out from my DoomBunker (TM). 

Seeing as how Aussie is the current overseer, that wouldn't be a prudent move.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: September 27, 2012, 01:49:47 am »

And here's your new dwarf

Spoiler:  Eoganachta (click to show/hide)

As to Eoganachta, from my Legends notes:

Kosoth has been mayor since late spring 771. The year after her sister, and Kogan's mother, died.

Eoganachta III, and 12 other dwarves died that same month.
Unless there was an Eoganachta IV, your dwarf was killed in 772 along with the (current?) mayor's sister and my (now deceased) avatar's mother, --ahem, make that 771, I worded the original poorly. The other two were killed in 770 along with General Eoganachta.

Thanks for the Dorfing.
There does seem to be a high occupational hazard when overseeing Deathgate.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: September 27, 2012, 02:22:25 am »

Thanks for the Dorfing.
There does seem to be a high occupational hazard when overseeing Dwarf Fortress.

FTFY
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:28 am »

I'll relabel him as Eoganachta IV when I play in a bit.  Not much has happened in my year, so the next update will run to the end of the year as diary entries like the previous ones.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:20:23 am by ThatAussieGuy »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: September 27, 2012, 07:08:27 am »

There wasn't an Eoganachta IV.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: September 27, 2012, 07:20:06 am »

There wasn't an Eoganachta IV.

I don't know what you're talking about...

>.>

<.<

>.>

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:18 am »

>_>

<_<

Just me mumbling to myself. Still half asleep and such.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:35 am »

Oh, good. I was worried that there were still dwarves in the world we hadn't put through the meatgrinder that is Deathgate.

I sincerely hope this "civ death" issue gets addressed. This really does feel like a cruddy way for a fort to end; slow death by attrition rather than flaming death by mass tantrum.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: September 27, 2012, 11:57:22 am »

It's not so bad for single-player forts, as you can just breed and breed until you have the numbers necessary to do things again. Can't really do that in the space of an in-game year though.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 175