Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832642 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2430 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »

Even in single player, a homicidal ghost who can't be put down kinda limits your options.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: September 27, 2012, 12:29:47 pm »

True. But that's a different bug, one that we could easily smith out if we weren't about to end the fort anyway.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:27 pm »

Even in single player, a homicidal ghost who can't be put down kinda limits your options.
I believe that bug has been fixed in the current issue. Its only a problem in DG because, IIRC, its running on an older version. Also, Terry.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: September 27, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »

I believe that bug has been fixed in the current issue. Its only a problem in DG because, IIRC, its running on an older version. Also, Terry.
D'ya think he'll be back for DGII?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #2434 on: September 27, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »

D'ya think he'll be back for DGII?

It wouldn't be Deathgate without him. :P

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:52 am »

Not much has happened in my year, so the next update will run to the end of the year as diary entries like the previous ones.
How close are you to completing the project? And if you can't finish by the end of the year, how long do you estimate it would take beyond that? Are there enough supplies?
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »

I'm two months from the end of the year (Borderlands 2 arrived and... delayed me a little).  I have mandates set for adamantine screwpump components (though the dwarves aren't actually making them for some reason), and all the digging spots are in place for the pumpstack and how to power it.  If someone can figure out what's keeping them from actually digging, it should all go like clockwork. 

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: September 29, 2012, 12:28:09 am »

I'm two months from the end of the year (Borderlands 2 arrived and... delayed me a little).  I have mandates set for adamantine screwpump components (though the dwarves aren't actually making them for some reason), and all the digging spots are in place for the pumpstack and how to power it.  If someone can figure out what's keeping them from actually digging, it should all go like clockwork.

Make burrows around the work site and the food and drink stockpiles and assign your miners to them. That should force them into the area.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35:06 am »

They should be going there anyway - it's near the BATTERY and they immediately rushed to channel into the aquifer pool when I set those digging designations.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: September 29, 2012, 01:36:59 am »

Have you tried putting the CIV alert on Inactive? It was set to Mitchewawa's burrow, which I think was supposed to be the entire fort interior but maybe he missed a spot.

After a brief perusal of the save, it seems floor 124 (using the black numbers) was missed almost entirely by that burrow. I remember there was a connecting passage marked for mining that was ignored most of my turn, until I briefly disabled the civ alert after opening the front gate.

And... on floor 134, where you are building the magma intake, only the storeroom above the dining hall is marked. The rest, including the stairs you are trying to dig to the volcano from, are outside the burrow designation.

So yeah. Turn off the civ alert.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:52:44 am by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: September 29, 2012, 02:14:10 am »

Yup, that caught it.  I'd already tried expanding the burrows around the intended work area, but they didn't go to them.  Disabling the alert has gotten them digging.

Edit:  Update and game save coming shortly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:54:35 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: September 29, 2012, 03:30:20 am »

Sandstone 19
Degol (?) Monangzon has surprisingly created something worthwhile - an adamantine floor hatch. 
The decoration is... very blue.

Timber 15

What

But...

We aren't the last ones left?...

There is so little time and so much that must be done, lest they depart without realizing Deathgate is alive and well.  I have begun beating every dwarf I encounter, looking for someone - anyone - that might know just which lever operates the main drawbridge.

Moonstone 3

We are fortunate this day.  The bridge is down and a Trade Depot has been set up.  The caravan is now safe within our walls and I have given orders for goods to be placed in the Depot.  We will let the world know that this bastion of madness still lingers on.

Moonstone 12

I have given the merchants four of our adamantine weapons, each a veritable kings ransom in their own right.  In exchange I purchased some cages, picks and anvils, as well as their entire stock of booze and cheese so that we can celebrate this most pleasant surprise.

Opal 8

Ouroboros ran past my office in the nude, claiming to be Yelesom (who's been dead for quite some time now) and is presently growling and drooling spit in a corner of the Hellbunker.  Must be Tuesday.

Opal 11

Another of our number has fallen victim to the undead haunting this infernal fortress. Thaddeus died near the BATTERY while working on one of the waterwheels.  Though I did not witness the act, the stretch of hallway coated in his blood tells all.

We number 33.

Obsidian 7

It is the last month of my overseership and I have garnered mixed results from my efforts.  The BATTERY is primed and ready for use, but Operation Red Shield has barely begun due to a former overseer mandating that all labourers were to remain in restricted zones.  This has been rectified and I can only hope that the next madman in charge can follow the plans I laid out correctly.

Obsidian 24

NRDL was found dead today.  It seems he walled himself in during a simple masonry job to upgrade the water channels.  We number 32.

Spoiler:  RIP NRDL (click to show/hide)

Granite 1.

My tenure as Overseer is up, and I have dutifully passed the official Hat and Badge on to the next elected dwarf.  I have left notes and plans pertaining to Operation Red Shield, please continue its construction if possible.

Deathgate, Year 781

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:37:25 am by ThatAussieGuy »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:18 am »

:(

I'm not even gonna ask for a re-dorf.  All I ask is that you don't put down my ghost. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:42 am »

... Why are you walling that off in the first place ... >_>

For the next overseer:

Someone needs to do wound dressing and suturing now. The Mad Fool is a bit rusty but he can probably handle it... except that he never seems to do any of his other jobs except diagnosis.

There's also dwarf walled in beside the BATTERY.

My aqueduct is still flowing. If there are FPS issues, the lever to stop it is at hotkey F6 (the only active lever)

Lower Deathgate has only 2 wells left, with 7x9 water each, the remainder of the water channels having dried out completely. This... may be sufficient for 2 years. I don't know. Not like the severely wounded are recovering anyway.

HOWEVER, if successfully activated in its current state, and the water miraculously manages to reach lower deathgate (unlikely) it will flood, since the pressure lock has been bypassed:

Of course, in its current state the water won't ever reach that far, and if Operation Red Shield is activated without building any new walls to prevent it, the remaining trickle of water from the aquifer will be obsidianized.

This might actually be a good thing, if the overseer desires to active both Red Shield and Thirst-Quencher, as the aquifer can then be tapped at a different point, and a larger volume of water brought into the aqueduct.

Oh, and the front gate is still open. Probably not a good idea.

As far as Operation Red Shield, the BATTERY needs semi-frequent pumping to function (it is currently not powered by the wheels, and I don't see an easy way of transmitting that power, except maybe some floors and gears just north of the pump), so should not be walled off. It'd be better to wall off the upper fort on level 124, in the southern passage.

This gives the Lower fort access to the axles and the BATTERY while preventing the magma from destroying them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:21:48 am by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: September 29, 2012, 06:43:15 am »

The BATTERY is self-sustaining through an aquifer exploit.  You start it pumping, then get the dwarf to stop and leave it be - the whole point is water flows amongst the aquifer tiles.  The power outlet is on the level above, and I've already laid an axle for the pumpstack. 

I didn't get NEARLY as much done as I wanted in my year because I spent a vast chunk of it trying to work out why the dwarves weren't doing what I wanted for Red Shield.  I had plans to go in and automate the water system, but a lot of that got left undone.

edit:  Confirmed with my own tests - Deathgate's BATTERY is operating correctly and generating a stead 9000 uW.  It should be higher, but I suspect that's because the pool's not entirely made up of aquifer tiles.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:54:12 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 175