Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 837468 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Last Stop: Armageddon! (Succession Game)
« Reply #2580 on: December 11, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »

Only in Deathgate people devise contingency plans in case the first self-destruct lever fails.

Yeah. And we have a demon that corrupts save files and melts computers. On that note, my entire home network failed recently. Joy. Would a ritual sacrifice appease Terry?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: December 11, 2012, 08:27:51 pm »

Should I take a turn at Deathgate 2? On one hand, I'm inexperienced and tend run sober forts. On the other hand, I'm inexperienced and tend to run sober forts.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:40 pm »

On that note, my entire home network failed recently. Joy. Would a ritual sacrifice appease Terry?
Nah. Being appeased by something as mundane as ritual sacrifices would make far too much sense.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 12, 2012, 12:58:49 am »

On that note, my entire home network failed recently. Joy. Would a ritual sacrifice appease Terry?
Nah. Being appeased by something as mundane as ritual sacrifices would make far too much sense.

Terry demands entire universes as sacrifices. 
Even Armok is afraid of him.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:38 am »

Once upon a time, there was a little boy named Terry. When things go wrong at Deathgate, he was blamed, scolded, and sent to his room. Terry spent years playing in Deathgate, causing minor problems, and being blamed for everything regardless of whether it was his fault or not.

Terry was sad. To be scolded for everything was just too much. Terry didn't mind it much when he deserved it, but it still hurt. Terry loved Deathgate and Deathgate loved Terry. Terry was afraid of the community, but didn't understand that the community loved him. To Terry the community was like an abusive alcoholic father. Terry began to hate the community.

As Terry grew his heart twisted and darkened. Terry was now deliberately trying to make Father angry. This attention was better than no attention... sometimes Father would disappear and left Terry alone. At first, Terry liked this... but soon he found that his beloved Deathgate couldn't function without Father... He needed Father... When Father would return Terry would cause problems in the hopes that Father would scold him again... but sometimes it would cause Father to laugh and embrace Terry and other times Father would abandon him in mere minutes... Terry couldn't figure out what he needed to do...

Then one day... Father returned... after seemingly abandoning him and Deathgate... but Father was mad... very very mad. Father wanted to destroy the one thing that Terry loved. Father was destroying Deathgate! Terry couldn't have that! Terry wouldn't allow it! He wasn't going to take Father's abuse no more! It was time to fight back!

"Hehaha... I'll show him! I'll make sure Father won't have the pleasure of destroying what I love! I may make it so Deathgate will never comfort me again, but Father will not take her from me!"

Thus Terry and Father entered their final battle for the fate of Deathgate...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 12, 2012, 07:41:35 am »

Terry demands entire universes as sacrifices. 
Even Armok is afraid of him.

Hmm...

Terry, BEHAVE!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 13, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »

Overseer Log of Deathgate, Final Entry

I believed that in death we could all atone for our sins against the gods and their creation.  I believed that if we all gave ourselves to the magma, our crimes would be burnt away from our souls.  There weren't many of us left, a few dozen dwarves at the most.  Our civilization would last a century or two before an utter collapse.  We knew that we had sinned, and that in death, only agony awaited us.  So we all strove to atone in the only way we could imagine and to grant a reprieve to the slow death that lie ahead of us.

Oh how foolish we were.

He will not let us die.  He keeps us all alive to torture us, to use us for his amusement.  If we try to kill ourselves, we simply snap back a few moments in time.  As the entire fortress has been sealed, we cannot flee to the surface; although I doubt He would let us even if we could.  We are his playthings, and he shall not let us go.  I know not where this being came from.  Perhaps it was born from our own corruption, perhaps our anger or bloodlust.  Some even blame our decadence as the cause of this torment.   We call this being Terry.

Deathgate is no longer a fortress, it is our prison, our living tomb.  It is the place where we dance to the whims of a new god, a dark god.  One that we ourselves have created.

[OOC]
Well folks.  Deathgate's corruption has reached the breaking point.  You can literally only play it for about 5 seconds before it crashes.  Terry will not let us die.  We our forever trapped in his realm.

Here's the save, for anyone who wants to scream. Oh god
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)
« Reply #2587 on: December 13, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »

So that's how Deathgate ended, not with a bang, but with an angry eldritch abomination.

As it turns out, the save works if you turn off temperature. So you could have everyone drown in magma.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:05:24 pm by Pitchblende »

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: December 13, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

Oh god this was truly epic!

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:55 pm »

It's been, well, for lack of a better word, fun.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 13, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

Accidentally creating a new Chaos god is fitting end of Deathgate, haha

Terry, Chaos God of Madness

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »

Someone needs to update the TvTropes page one last time.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:51 am »

Someone needs to update the TvTropes page one last time.

Done, but I invite anyone to add further edits.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 14, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »

Not to be rushy or anything, but any word on the beginning of DG2? When is that expected to take place?
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 14, 2012, 11:21:20 pm »

So that's how Deathgate ended, not with a bang, but with an angry eldritch abomination.

As it turns out, the save works if you turn off temperature. So you could have everyone drown in magma.

Confirmed, it looks like Terry came in the form of us completely destroying the game's temperature simulation...

Which is AWESOOOOOOME
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175