Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 835781 times)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)
« Reply #2595 on: December 15, 2012, 07:38:22 am »

So....
That's it?   :o
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:11:28 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: December 15, 2012, 08:53:58 am »

So....
That's it?   :o

Yep, finis. But, when DGII starts, the fun begins again!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »

Leave it to Deathgate to ultimately fail at failing on purpose.

This is a fort death reserved for the truly great forts, it has lived long enough for the players to decide to destroy it... only to have that action fail to destroy the fort and then dies due to another reason completely out of the control of the player.

Sort of like how Failcannon was meant to go out in a style, but the fort survived only to be defeated by kobolds shortly there after.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: December 15, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

Deathgate remains unvanquished!

Cept for the fact it was eaten by a Chaos God.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: December 16, 2012, 08:11:07 am »

BOATMURDERED and Deathgate made me play this game in first place.
To see Deathgate finally succumbing to the madness that it is itself...
I have no words, I just like it.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:58:40 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »

Deathgate remains unvanquished!

Cept for the fact it was eaten by a Chaos God.
It wasn't eaten by a Chaos God, it became one. Now we just need to have a bunch of legendary dwarfs kill themselves together to create a God-Emperor of Dwarfkind. Holy hell, a crossover between DF and Warhammer 40k works scarily too well.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 16, 2012, 02:58:54 pm »

Suds Zimmerman just resurrected the WH40K mod.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 16, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »

Nice.  Glad to see that this has been ended FINALLY. 

Would it have been possible to kill all the dwarves by, say, modding them to explode once the game unpauses?  Just an idea. 

But I suppose it's all moot now. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

Boys, raise a glass to Deathgate. We did good.

We did good.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »

Deathgate died as it lived: in fire and madness!
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:36 am »

Here's to madness and fire!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 20, 2012, 11:40:13 am »

Epilogue
The goblin scribbled on the intricate stone floor with a piece of charcoal in his hand.  The poor wretch had since forgotten how long he’d inhabited in these ruins.  Months, years, decades perhaps; time wasn’t something that he could comprehend anymore.  He spent his waking moments either searching the halls for rats to eat or drawing the images that plagued his mind.  His clothes amounted to a tattered loincloth that was covered in filth and stained from years of wear.  He was scrawny, emaciated, and his left arm had been hewn off just below the shoulder.  It had healed into a hideous looking mass of scar tissue.  The bones in his right foot had broken during his attach on the fortress and without treatment, had healed incorrectly, living him with a limp.  Blisters covered his feet and knees.

Every day the goblin would scribble images onto the walls and floors of the fallen fortress.  He would create drawings of entire worlds collapsing into themselves, of black voids filled with eyes and tongues, and of eldritch symbols that would drive even the most wizened scholar insane.  However, his most intricate work was found in the dining hall.

Thirty three short, stocky figures danced around a writhing mass of tendrils, teeth, and eyes.  Each of the figures had horns, or hooves, or claws.  All of them were trapped inside a thick sphere that was surrounded by blackness.  A single line ran above the figures to a drawing of Deathgate’s entrance and just beneath said entrance was a representation of Upper Deathgate.  The entire image resembled a cross section of the earth.  Upon the surface were bodies of goblins and men.

“Aaaaa…” his voice was raspy and weak.

For a moment, the goblin stopped his work, stood up, and stared at the drawings that dominated the once glorious dining hall.  Slowly the goblin glanced around the room at broken, blood stained furniture and the rotted bones of his brethren.  The goblin seemed terrified for a moment before the glimmer of sanity vanished, replaced by the madness as it returned.

Not long after the dwarves sealed themselves away from the world, a goblin invasion finally managed to breach the fortress, only to become trapped inside.  Unable to escape, they died one by one of starvation, injury, and finally cannibalism.  Anyone that managed to enter the accursed fortress never left it.  Eventually, no sane individual dared to approach the fortress.  Even the demons themselves feared the final stronghold of the dwarves.  For an untold time, the only inhabitant of the fortress was the single, sickly goblin and the rats he hunted.

But the goblin knew.  He knew he was not alone.  Beneath his feet, behind walls of stone and oceans of magma, the dwarves still lived; lived in the embrace of their hungry god.

Once again, the goblin scribbled on the intricate stonework with a piece of charcoal in his hand…
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:10:02 pm by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:38 am »

For those looking for Murdermachines, the sequel to Deathgate, you are welcome.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: November 02, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »

I know, I know, necro-ing to hell, but seriously, THAT WAS AWESOME.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: November 09, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

I know, I know, necro-ing to hell, but seriously, THAT WAS AWESOME.

I concur.  That was astounding
hamster cheese supplies are low
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175