Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89

Author Topic: Evil Genius! -The End of Days.-  (Read 111500 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Genius! -The End of Days.-
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:32 am »

Right, Listen up Lads. Theres been reports of some new players in the underground. They're efficient, Organized, and on their way to become, an Evil Genius.

Ever played Evil Genius? Truly, I always enjoyed that game. So I'm running an Turn Based Strategy game based on it. I'll be playing things somewhat close to the vest, as I'd like to keep the rules a mystery because I have established plans for this system (after fully fleshing it out).
I'm looking for anywhere up to 5-6 players to come on a lighthearted journey through nefarious acts,with the ultimate goal being DOMINION OR DESTRUCTION OF THE WORLD! I guarantee I'll be serious roughly 2% of the time.
I reserve the right not to let you in because I don't approve. Or to let you in cause you're my friend. Hah!

On to an explanation of the game!

Players take command of an evil organization based around specfic archetypes (these archetypes are not set in stone, and others can be added with sufficient explanation).
They receive a number of minions, cash, and 'resources' (the catchall everything else resource).
Actions are laid out for the week, For example, You may send 5 of your minions to steal cash. Or have some guard the base. Or have your scientists do research. Any minion can do any task they're rated for, and nothing else. 1 task per minion, per week. As many tasks as you like though. Divvy em up, clump em together.

I will roll dice to determine the success bracket for things undertaken by your minions (ranging from Dismal Failure, Failure, Slight Success, Success, Incredible Success).
Or Cybergenesis will. As this will be joint GM'd by the two of us to prevent burnout.

I would -like- for there to be a certain level of roleplay occuring, but its not required. I just feel its better when that RP is there.

On to the Archetypes!
The Mad Scientist
"They said I WAS MAD! BUT I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!"
Starting Trait: Researcher (1) You can perform the Research task, personally.
You begin with 1 Scientist (Research, Enhance Base), 4 Regulars(General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding)
You have a Minion Cap of 5.

The Mob Boss
"Make them an offer they cannot refuse."
Starting Trait: Streetwise (1) You can reduce your Notoriety gain from missions by 1
You begin with 1 Thug, (General Mayhem/Cash Raising/Plotting, Guarding, Extortion), 4 Regulars(See Above)

The Cult Leader
"Dont drink the Kool-Aid."
Starting Trait: Cult of Personality (1) Your minion cap is raised by +4.
You begin with 5 Regulars (See Above)
You have a Minion Cap of 9 (5 base, +4 CoP)

The Layabout Playboy
"I say, Lets be bad guys."
Starting Trait: Legal Eagles (1) You are slightly more difficult for the Forces of Justice to target directly.
You begin with 5 Regulars (See Above)
You begin with 2x the regular starting cash/resources

The Mastermind
"Their every move makes my victory more complete"
Starting Trait: Man with a Plan (1) You gain a +2 to all Plotting rolls, and have a 1% chance per week of creating a notoriety level appropriate Mission without assigning any minions to the task.
You begin with 5 Regulars
You begin with 1.5x the regular starting cash/resources

But whats this I hear you say? What else do I start with?
$5,000 in starting Cash.
100 Starting Resources.
Notoriety of 0 (Notoriety is a basic indicator of how badly the Forces of Justice wish to bring you down for your nefarious deeds. All your deeds will raise notoriety, if they're even remotely visible to the public. More Notoriety will increase your minion cap, and allow you access to more Henchmen.

A Lair: Your choice of something low-profile and basic. A warehouse? Acreage mansion? You tell me!

A Minion (Tier 0) costs $100 per, to recruit.
All Tier 1 Minions (Thug, Scientist, Guard, Technician, Possibly 1 or 2 more types. Im still thinking.) cost $400 to recruit, but can be trained later on.

Minion Jobs
Regular : General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding

Tier 1 Minions
Scientist: Enhance Base, Research
Thug: General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Extortion
Technician: General Mayhem, Enhance Base 2(2 Minion Weeks of labor at a time)
Guard: Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding

Tier 2 minions must be captured or Trained.
Spies:  General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Infiltrate
Bruisers: General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Extortion
Reporters: General Mayhem, Plotting, Smear
Saboteurs: General Mayhem, Enhance Base (2), Sabotage

Infiltrate gives you a small chance to infiltrate other organizations, Or Forces of Justice, or even possibly used as a precursor to Plotted missions, to give a slight boost to that mission.
Smear missions give a chance at redirecting slight amounts of Notoriety gain from missions you're doing, onto other factions. The backlash from this could be heavy, as I doubt the Forces of Justice would appreciate being duped.
Sabotage missions are used to damage or destroy rooms/upgrades in EG bases, or cripple the Forces of Justice.

Any and all Minions can be sent on plotted missions.

The Research
Now admittedly, I've been running this game for awhile in other ways and I have a few gaps in the tech tree. Assistance there would be helpful. If something seems like an obvious addition, tell me and we'll slot it in.

Fields:
Tier 1
Physics,Chemistry, Biology
Tier 2
Robotics, Botany, Psychology
Tier 3
Aerospace Engineering,

Further? Yes.

Tier 1 fields are public domain and can be researched by anyone. Anything T2 and beyond must be opened by way of Plotted mission to steal the information.
Oh yes, Theres others. Which may be revealed at later points.

Research is handled by specifying a field, and a direction (if you like). A field, is Biology, Chemistry, Physics, So on. A Direction is Offense, Defense or Support.

Promotion
A minion may be promoted to a Henchman (1) and his talents will lie in the general direction of his most unique job.
Assuming of course you have a slot open for one!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:58:46 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:58 am »

(This space intentionally reserved for rules based stuff.)

Changing Bases
Changing bases, is an important thing when your location is known, and you want to avoid sabotage or retribution. You can also move your Base to gain small bonuses that might be applicable based on where you're moving to.
This could get a bit murky, but what the hell. The base movement time is 15 M/W of labor, and any Minion type can add their labor value (Base 1, modified by the Enhance Base job)here. This is to move directly to another Base with no bonuses. Better bonuses to the base, more time.

Base Enhancements (Known)
X Minion/Weeks means it takes that many weeks of labor from minions to construct. So a 1 Minion/Week enhancement would be finished by 1 minion, in one week(turn) 5M/W would take 5 minions 1 week, or 1 minion 5 weeks.

Training Room: 100 Resources, 1 Minion/Week to build.
Trains Regulars into Thugs, 1 Thug/Bruiser to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
Trains Regulars into Guards, 1 Guard to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
Trains Regulars into Spies, 1 Spy to train 1 Regular, Takes 2 weeks
Trains Thugs into Bruisers, 1 Bruiser to Train 1 Thug, Takes 1 week
Trains Regs into Reporters, 1 Reporter to train 1 Reg, Takes 2 weeks.

Laboratory : 100 Resources,  1 Minion/Week to build
Trains Regulars into Scientists, 1 Sci to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
-Laboratory Upgrades
  -Containment Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Biology research critical failure) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Blast Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Physics research critical failure ) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Reinforced Reaction Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Chemistry Research critical failure) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Environment Simulator: Gives a bonus to Biology research. Gives all mission rolls a slight improvement. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.
  -Centrifuge : Gives a bonus to Physics Research. Required to train Pilots. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.
  -Simulation Supercomputer: Gives a bonus to Chemistry Research. Gives a small bonus to plotting missions. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.

Workshop: 100 Resources, 1 Minion/Week to build.
Trains Regulars into Technicians. 1 Technician to Train 1 Regular, Takes 1 Week.
Trains Technicians into Saboteurs, 1 Saboteur to train 1 Tech, Takes 1 Week.

Holding Cells: Required to contain more than 2 Minion captures (for training, or from other EG's), Or to do Kidnap missions. 20 Resources, 1 Minion/Week.
-Potential Upgrades? ! Yes.

Room Reinforcing (This room is now less likely to be damaged by sabotage or accident.) 5 R 1 Minion/Week.

Secure Vault: $3000, Legitimate Purchase (0 M / W)
Protects some of your cash from thievery.
Storage Lockers: $1250, Legitimate purchase (0 M/W)
Stores your gear neatly in the base. Thus preventing it from being stolen as easily, or used against your minions (without a minion being knocked out for his gear(And jumpsuit)).

Traps!
Traps are defensive installations created to protect your base from interlopers. Their portability is usually quite high, allowing you to bring them with you if you are forced to leave the base quickly.
Traps are (at this stage) 'Legitimate' Purchases. As you can probably build them from simple items purchased innocently. However many traps might be unlocked via Research. Such breakthroughs will likely occur at different times than 'regular' breakthroughs.
So without further ado, Lets get us some traps!

Lockdown Devices: 5 R/$250 0 M/W - A sliding portcullis sort of thing that seals off sections of your base thus trapping minions or interlopers until the breach can be addressed.
Pit Traps: 5 R/$250 0 M/W - A practical staple is the old carefully designed pit trap. Not responsible for death or injury resulting from carelessness.

Gas Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - Loaded with your preference of gas. May be fatal to minions.

Swinging Blade Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - Of course if you don't -care- about apprehending intruders...
Crushing Wall Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - I think you get the picture here.

Payload Devices: Research Unlock Required.
A Payload Device is the first stage of your dominion or destruction of the world. By constructing a Payload Device (and possibly giving me information on what you want it to be called/what you want it to be, so on) you enable the deployment of your Doomsday Device.
Try to keep the payload device you build related to the field you can build it in. But hey, creativity is fine.

Cash into Resources and Vice Versa
The current formula is $1,000 into 20 Resources, or vice versa.

Notoriety Break Points
00 Notoriety: 05 Minion Cap
25 Notoriety: 10 Minion Cap
50 Notoriety: 15 Minion Cap
100 Notoriety: 20 Minion Cap
175 Notoriety: 25 Minion Cap
250 Notoriety: 30 Minion Cap

Henchmen Allowances
30 Notoriety : 1 Henchman
150 Notoriety: 2 Henchmen.

Current Traits and their Advancements
Cult of Personality +4/+7/+10/+12/+14 Extra minions. 0/0/10%/20%/30% cheaper minions. At level 5 5% chance on hire of a minion being free.)
Extortionist Your extortions are slightly less likely to draw attention. They are also more resistant to getting broken.
Eyes and Ears 1) Can get the gist of PM'd orders. (X guys researching, no topics, for example) 2)Get actual numbers assigned to tasks.
Heavy Handed Negotiator 10/20% cheaper legitimate purchases.
Legal Eagles You are slightly/moderately more difficult for the forces of justice to target directly.
Man With A Plan Progresses +2/5/8 to Plotting rolls, Progresses 1/2/4 % chance per week of a free plotted mission, 0/0/2 to all Plotted Mission rolls.
Researcher Can Research personally/+5 To your research roll/+10 to your research roll, +2 to your other scientists/+15 to your personal roll, +4 to other scientists
Streetwise Optional Notoriety  -1/-3 from missions. Change to +/- 3 notoriety at level 3.
(Room for More)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:22:33 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:22:46 am »

Players At Current:
-----------------------

Lord Silver, of E.V.I.L (Happerry)
Taric, of DOOM (Taricus)
Lord Thrakor, of the Disciples of Thought (Toaster)
Reginald Gathord, No Organization Name. (Nevyn)
Dr Black, Black Industries (Kashyyk)
Fankie Fredaroni, The Boys of USA. (Criptfeind) - Suicide
comp112, Of Technet (Comp112)
Tchao Zhi Ping of the Whistling Zephyr (Hastur)
Ochita, No Organization Name (Ochita) - Suicide
Edward T.Error of Genesis Labs. (Ultimuh) - Suicide
Labrats, of the NCV (Labrats)
V-Norrec(Viscoth Norrec, The Ravenbourne)

Wait List:
------------
HailFire(Dr. Adara Moss, TEMPEST Laboratories)
Hitty40("G", KAK)
Riversand(Jier Sunrender, Gensys Inc.)
Thunderclan(Zieg, To Be Decided)
magmaholic(Mr Orange, vitamint bomb)
Lemon10 (Frank Alio, FOR SCIENCE!)

Turn List:
-------------
Week 00, or: How it all began
Week 01, or: Baby Steps
Week 02, or: The Bigger Picture, Revealed
Week 03, or: Enter The Rat
Week 04, or: Subtle Hints
Week 05, or: The World Grows Darker
Week 06, or: A Glimmer of Light
Week 07, or: Strange Smells Abound
Week 08, or: The Good, Bad and Ugly
Week 09, or: Slow News Week
Week 10, or: Establishing Patterns
Week 11, or: The Effects of Cause
Week 12, or: First Casualty of War
Week 13, or: Not So Lonely Around Here Anymore
Week 14, or: The Farm Report Makes Headlines
Week 15, or: Bad Weather
Week 16, or: Time to Upgrade!
Week 17, or: Lazy Forces of Justice
Week 18, or: Forces of Justice Return From Holiday
Week 19, or: The Alpha
Week 20, or: The Omega
-Omega Redux
Week 21, or: An Interesting Turn of Events!
Week 22, or: Who The Hell Are You?
Week 23, or: What Was THAT!?
Week 24, or: Nothing Happened Here
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:18:32 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:43 am »

Lord Silver, King of a small island kingdom... well, former king, you know those pesky do gooders, is coming soon to a lair near you! Sign on today with this Mad Scientist, and his cool under the warehouse lair hidden in Greenland, with his $5,000 greenbacks, a extra stash of 100 Resources, and a Notoriety rating of 0! The current crew of 1 Scientist and 4 Regulars have less then zero complaints! And being a skilled Researcher (1), you can be sure he has made sure your rayguns have a more then adequate zap rating!

So join E.vil V.iolent E.xtreme L.ords today! E.V.I.L., for short.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:16:36 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:04:09 am »

kewl posting to say i watching

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:50:16 am »

Taric; the Mastermind in a House in germany with $7,500 USD and 150 assorted resources. Five regular minions are at his disposal. Join DOOM Today!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:44:14 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:55 am »

Sure, because I've been tossing around a ruleset for one like this in my head.

Lord Thrakor smiled as he reviewed his loyal followers.  There were only five of them now, but soon that number would grow, grow indeed.  Soon everyone would bow to him.  Once he had humanity bowing to worship him, he would become a legend.  An immortal.  A god.

Soon.

There was much to do in the meantime, however.

Leader Name:  Lord Thrakor
Organization Name: Disciples of Thought
Archetype:  Cult Leader
Traits: Cult of Personality (1)
Minion Cap: 9
Minions:  5 Regulars
Cash:  $5,000 USD
Resources:  100
Notoriety: 0
Lair:  A small compound deep in the forest of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the USA

I assume a Regular is the same as the tier 0 minion?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:01:40 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:16 am »

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION TO INSTALL GAME NOW!!!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Date: 2nd Day after my Capture...
Location: Some Really Dark room and a Bright Lamp that's giving me a Tan...

A young man, maybe in his late 20's, shuffled himself on the metal seat in the small dark room. He looked down at his wrists and sighed at the Metallic Bracelets he had been forced to wear. Looking into the Bright Light that was shining onto his face he attempted to look past it at the Shadowy Reflection of himself in the Mirror. A Speaker Box garbled something barely coherent and a red light blinked on beside what appeared to be a Microphone...

"Well, my Name is Reginald Gathord, you might have seen me on a few magazine covers. Like 'Worlds most Wealthy Man' and 'Best Looking Men of the Century'," Gathord twisted his head and smiled towards the Mirror with a very wide and white smile, much like he would have for a photograph for said Magazine Covers, there came no response from the Speakerbox and a moments of Silence before he continued, "So naturally I have lived the life of the Extravagant Playboy for a while now, done everything under the sun and never gotten even a slap on the wrist. It was just too easy, you know.

"Anyway, the other day I awoke in the Large Suite of my Luxury Cruiser with everything I could ever need, manned by the simple crew and 5 of my Regular Entourage, turned on my TV Wall and saw something quite interesting. It was a rather nice looking Painting, painted by some Old Italian guy or something," He attempted to wave his hand nonchalantly but the Chains attached to the bracelets kept them close to the table, "It was being displayed at some tacky old Museum, I had thought to myself that it would be better hanging above the Pool Table. But even with $10,000 as Pocket Change and a few Cargo Ships floating around the world, fill with something like 200 Resources, I had doubted they would just hand it over. Sigh, I still say that it would look better in the Games Lounge..."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Leader Name: Reginald Gathord
Archetype:  Layabout Playboy
Traits: Legal Eagles (1)
Minion Cap: 5
Cash:  $10,000 USD
Resources:  200.
Lair:  A Luxury Cruise Liner...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:42:18 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:16:53 am »

Dr Black, CEO of Black Industries is now hiring! Join a $7,500 company, with 150 resources and 5 well paid, professional regulars to follow the Woman with a plan! Just follow the directions to our state of the art Warehouse, and follow the Mastermind!

Name:  Dr. Black
Archetype:  The Mastermind
Traits:  (Wo)man with a Plan (1)
Minion Cap:  5
Cash:  $7500
Resources:  150
Lair:  A warehouse on the outskirts of London

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:55 am »

" 'Ey. Boys. Were new in town. Goods to meets you. I'm Fankie. Fankie Fredaroni. And I own this town now. You see. Me and my boys over 'er, Tony, Mikey, Joey, Nikki, and BIIIIIIIG Michael are moving in and setting up shop. So, make sures you don't come on over to our Small mom and pop shop unless you got business with the mob. We don't got time to sell stuff to you, so stop asking.

So. Pay your dues and you will live. Don't? And I will smash your knee caps in, you hear me? Good. Come 'er, give Fankie a hug, your like part of the family now."

Leader Name:  Fankie Fredaroni
Organization Name: Small town USA mob.
Archetype:  The Mob Boss
Traits: Streetwise (1)
Minions:  4 Regulars, 1 Thug
Cash:  $5,000 USD
Resources:  100
Lair:  A small mom and pop shop in small town USA. It is used as a front, and anyone who tries to actually buy something is rolled for their milk money.

Boys

Frank: Tech
Big Michael: Thug
Mikey: Thug
Tony: Thug
Joey: Thug
Nikki: Thug
Pauly: Thug
Romano: Thug
'Gums' Alfredo: Scientist
'Teeth' Tommy: Scientist
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:59:29 pm by Criptfeind »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:59:30 am »

Leader Name: Comp112
Organization Name: Technet
Archetype: Mad Scientist
Traits: Researcher
Minions: 1 Scientist, 4 Regular
Cash: $5000
Resources: 100
Lair: Abandoned warehouse.

"Come join the legion! We are Technet, we are THE FUTURE! Our research team is top notch, come get your piece of the dream TODAY!"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:48:01 pm by Comp112 »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:55 am »

That makes 7 so far...i think we may need to cap it around 10. so 3 more and we'll hold any other interests in reserve in case we have special projects or something.

I gotta say, thank you all for not being lazy with your intro posts. You all make me snicker a little
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:29 am »

I'll play!, i might edit some of this stuff later thou

leader: Tchao Zhi Ping
Organisation: Whistling Zephyr of the luminous thunder lotus
Archetype Mob boss
Lair: Casino
$5,000 in starting Cash.
100 Starting Resources.
Notoriety of 0

can i have a ninja instead of a thug?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:59 am »

Ochita, the Perfectly normal mad scientist with a base in an abandoned Military base and with his savings of 5000 Dollars, and with 100 materials, he, and his 4 regulars and 1 scientist plan to take over the world!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:44 am »

((
Greenland

Oh.. fudgesticks.. someone got there first.
SO it's somewhere on the glacier/icecap, or along the coasts by one of the towns/settlements?
(I live in Greenland, so It is only natural for me to ask.)))

Name: Edward T. Error
Organization: GENESIS LABS TEC INC CORP (TM) (names.. so hard to make up..)
Archetype: Mad Scientist
Trait: Researcher
Lair: abandoned zoo
Minions: 1 Scientist, 4 Regulars
Cash: $5.000
Resources: 100
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:51:21 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89