Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 89

Author Topic: Evil Genius! -The End of Days.-  (Read 113054 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius! Week 18 now up.
« Reply #1050 on: July 27, 2011, 08:12:46 am »

Sounds like somebody needs a hug!

GROUP HUG!

* Toaster hugs everyone
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:28 am »

Sounds like somebody needs a hug!

GROUP HUG!

* Toaster hugs everyone

*Set Toaster on fire and laugh and as he rolls around*
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:31 am »

I'm like Santa Claus, but for megalomaniacal sociopaths.  :P

------------------------

Anyway, I'd been a little leery about adding another Mad Scientist to the waiting list, buuuut....

Spoiler: RP Stuff (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Default Stats (click to show/hide)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »

Actually dont feel bad about that Hailfire. In preliminary testing Mad Scientist was the archetype chosen most often.... I should probably read something into that.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »

Interestingly, my first thought was for Scientist as well, but I went with the cult when I saw no one else taking it.  I think sci is one of the best three starts.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 27, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »

*cough* Theres 5 archetypes currently. But yeah, I've felt Mad Scientist was the strongest by far. Ah well. Next round there'll proly be some rebalancing of the various archetypes.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 27, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »

The only true advantage to Mad Sci is turn 1 researching, you can always fire/hire and start the next turn
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 27, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »

It's the whole Mad scientist 'feel' rather than the power. i would have gone Legal Eagle, if i could have instead. *shrug*

I took Mad scientist, because i basically, have my genius as a 'splicer'. cosmetic gene-therapy. only minor to begin with. perhaps research he lost before going evil...
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:34 pm »

Really?  I disagree.   Here's my opinion:

#1:  Cult Leader.  I may be biased, but starting with nearly double the minion cap says "massive head start" to me.  If I had it to do over again, I would have rushed for 50 notor and (likely having rank 2 by then) have 22 minions to everyone else's 10 or so.  I think the massive head start would outweigh anything else.

#2:  Mad Scientist.  It's a head start to research, which can get you to the useful techs sooner.  In addition, it's like having a free scientist minion that doesn't count against your cap.  The upper levels are pretty serious research bonuses, and you start with a leg up getting there.

#3:  Mastermind.  While MwaP at level 1 is pretty boring, it starts getting good with more points into it.  The extra starting cash is nice as well.

#4:  Layabout Playboy.  The trait's OK and the double starting cash is nice, but it's nothing spectacular.  This strikes me as the "generic" start.

#5:  Mob Boss.  Unless there's some good tactic to keeping your notor low at the very beginning (I have yet to see one), then this start is awful.  Starting with a thug is like starting with an extra $300, which is nothing compared to the above two.  Yes, you can start an extortion on T1- whoopty do?  If this started with a couple of extortions and more thugs, it'd be better.  As is, it's crap.

Really though, once everyone has a couple trait points spent, the archetypes are the same (which I figure was intentional.)  If you wanted to differentiate them, make some of the traits unique- if you don't start with them, you can never get them!

Riversand does have a point- being a mad scientist does have a certain appeal to it.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 27, 2011, 02:14:17 pm »

Aye, Mob Boss felt the weakest overall to me. That'll proly get punched up a little. Proly with 2 starting extortions, and maybe change the trait to Extortionist, push people more in that direction. And I felt Cult Leader was far stronger than people gave it credit for. Assisting research is all well and good but the extra minion availability to me is the direction I'd always go. That said i'll probably weaken Cult of Personality a little to start, cause a +4 minion cap for 1 trait point is ridiculous to me. EVERYONE should have that. For shame people.

Unique traits was a direction I was considering. In fact for round 2 I was thinking every archetype gets changed to have 1 generic trait (Researcher, Cult of personality(Which may be Archetype Specific, havent decided fully), what have you, and an Archetype specific trait (Gadgeteer, Outside Investors, Dark Brotherhood). That would allow peoples EGs to feel more unique I think. Probably include a choice between 2 Archetype specific traits at start (alongside your 1 generic trait) and go from there. We've still got plenty of design space happening in Traits.

Everyone loves being a mad scientist. THEY'll ALL RUE THE DAY
Layabout Playboy I intentionally backweighted. I want that to be a much stronger start for people who want to approach the endgame with a solid plan in mind. Legal Eagles at higher levels can straight deflect FoJ attacks, leaving you pretty much immune to basic attempts to stymie your efforts. You're pretty much only attackable by Super Agents and the odd Vigilante. And of course your fellow EGs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

I would certainly think that starting CoP at +3 instead of +4 is a good idea.  Still a nice boost, but not as "holy shit this trait rocks."  As is it's 80% of a notor level.

CoP should certainly be unique.  Uniques would really give character to the archetypes, instead of them all mashing together at the end (like we're starting to see.)

I still like the idea of Frontline Leader that I posted a while back- kind of the (henchman) Dr. Doom style character, who gets loud and shouty and lets everyone know what he is up to.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:22 pm »

Good thing I'm deep enough in the wait list that I'll probably be in Round 2.  :P

As for the people we're waiting on- I heard Labrats with dealing with life, and Hastur is chronically late, so they should probably be put on standing orders (if possible), or de-synced.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

You are a terrible GM terenos, we have an RP/Discussion thread for this -.-

Ok that was a terrible lie, i just wanted to see if i confused anyone

Still waiting on Happerry btw
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:43:57 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 28, 2011, 02:32:20 am »

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Lord Silver frowns as he plots... Counterattack!

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:55 am »

I've got some standing orders for Labs so effectively, I just need Hastur's turn to roll it all up.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 89