Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.31  (Read 10595 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: DF Synthetics - plastics industry 20+ chemicals products
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 04:28:34 am »

err not quite

It isn't quite charcoal yet unless it has already been completely carbonized as such if you got any methanol at all from burning charcoal it would be miniscule at best. The majority of the methanol you would get would be from slow baking the wood (pyrolysis).
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:19 am »

Looks like Polyethylene can be made from ethanol, thats a good start :). Though it's a sort of wimpy polymer, not needing wood is an advantage. I'll add that in.

I found this great PDF file listing many possible ways to make methanol.

Like I hoped, there are possible pathways from ethanol to methanol, e.g steps:-
C2H5OH +3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H20 (burn ethanol)
3H20 → 3H2 + 3O2 (electrolysis)
CO2 + 3H2 → CH3OH + H2O (methanol production)

So i guess I'll leave this in for now, I want to have powered electric dynamos as part of the custom workshops, but might break it down so you have Hydrogen and CO2 tanks as part of the production process. It'd be cool to have Oxygen tanks lying around too for that Sci-Fi feel. I might implement some alternate processes eventually too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:24:50 am by Reelyanoob »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 06:11:22 am »

This looks actually neat. Mind me joining the Wasteland/Shadowrun mod with this thing? It would be very helpful.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:14:32 am »

take note; Methanol is liquid form, methane is gaseous form. 
Err, not of the same substance, also Methanol is quite volatile as a liquid, so any one time you won't be able to say that this is just a liquid...
Methanol is the alcohol of methane, as ethanol is the alcohol of ethane, if were just counting alcohols with one group that is, longer chains have more possibilities, usually (2 dimethylpropanol is the only alcohol of 2 dimethylpropane for example, still only if counting those with one alcohol group only).

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »

Hello,

hmm.  so to reduce the methane or ethane (is gaseous) into liquid, is through alcohol process creating methanol and ethanol. (new lesson for me.  :D )

methane is organic votaile gas. and in RL naturally occurs from digested plant matter (think cow poo or off gassing from garbage dump).  which is anaerobic (not exposed to air or oxygen) fermentation. I do not know how much (volume wise) methane is produced this way.

Termite man: sip-ah ... delicious cow poo methanol (probably a trade name, like grape ethanol is wine).

I checked wiki and see that using charcoal to produce methane is viable process, but is not popular method due to lot of 'energy' and labor. Here is the process; burn charcoal, capture carbon dioxide and subsitute 2 oxygen with hydrogen (probably need 4 times the volume of captured carbon dioxide), resulting in  methanol/methane (I presume same volume as captured carbon dioxide). I point out that Hydrogen extraction today is expensive process (either electrolysis of water or through capturing off-gassing of a chemical reaction.)  Since we are interested in methanol, I am not sure how charcoal is untilized to produce methanol.

the easiest methane production preferred in industries; is extracted from natural gas. NG is reportedly to contain greater than 60 percent methane and proprane is reported to contain greater than 70 to 80 percent methane.

the pyrolosis process of wood (turning into charcoal) makes producer gas, tar and impurities including crescote. I only know that producer gas is a hydrocarbon based gas. I am checking wiki on what producer gas composistion is.

maybe a special workshop that takes either charcoal or refuse (vermins?) and produce methane?

I am not a chemist, but am 45 years old recalling my high school chemistry... sigh, now i feel old.

R

edit:
 found reference on wood gas.  the hydrocarbon composistion (by captured volume) is
Nitrogen N2: 50.9%
Carbon monoxide CO: 27.0%
Hydrogen H2: 14.0%
Carbon dioxide CO2: 4.5%
Methane CH4: 3.0%
Oxygen O2: 0.6%

in the same reference states same volume of nitrogen was present before or after pyrolosis.  3% methane is small.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:00:55 pm by rynait »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »

This looks actually neat. Mind me joining the Wasteland/Shadowrun mod with this thing? It would be very helpful.

Heh. I actually had Shadowrun in mind when I started this. :)

Thx again everyone for the input
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:02:00 am by Reelyanoob »

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.3
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 12:51:04 pm »

Glorious! Absolutely adding this to my personal blend of DF.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.3
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »

I am truly at a loss for words. You have spent hours of your free time creating a massively complicated and more-or-less scientifically accurate mod that enables players to dress their standard-fantasy-issue dwarves in PVC, acrylic and Kevlar. This is simultaneously an awe-inspiring achievement worthy of monuments and an act of total lunacy... or in other words, the single dwarfiest thing I've seen since that total-conversion using nothing but creatures inspired by They Might Be Giants lyrics.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.31
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »

This sounds awesome, I hope you don't mind if I borrow (credited of course) some of your ideas for my own projects?  I've been thinking of such a thing but didn't remember enough chemistry to get it off the ground. 

Cheers

Also

>>  Posted by: Jake
>>  that total-conversion using nothing but creatures inspired by They Might Be Giants lyrics.

:o

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:29 pm »

My science mod is a newer, updated mod with similar goals to this one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 12:40:23 am »

As far as plastics and the clothes you can make go, this mod is still up to date, nothing new has been added as far as reaction-wizardry to the base game, I'm pretty sure everything in here will still work fine.

Putnam, i see your mod is mainly about metals? i deliberately avoided adding any metals into this mod due to the large number of other mods which expand metallurgy. This one is designed to be a stand-alone new synthetics industry, so you could pretty much add the whole thing to yours, just change the Tokens for HCL etc, and it'll connect up with your materials.

smakemupagus: you're free to take this stuff. I didn't adjust the weight, toughness of the Kevlar etc, it's based on Iron. If you make any adjustments to anything, let me know and i'll make a new version with you in the credits.

I did consider making a lot more materials in the production pipeline, and originally had many more steps, but that all seemed counterproductive in the end to "playing dwarf fortress". I also considered, but in the end didn't make the steps need fuel. The main reason was that this produced base-level clothing and furniture, and making all that need fuel would raise the question of "why would you bother?". I'm thinking to add pigments to the plastic though, to allow for a full set of colored furnitures.

i do like the idea of magma-based plastics industry, but with the current state of the game, it's more-or-less superfluous to the existing production system. I guess i could make a magma-powered plastic clothing workshop that produces 10 items at a time or something ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:53:13 am by Reelya »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 01:22:39 am »

Cool, I'll check out yours too, Putnam, I've been meaning to anyway :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »

The [AUTOMATIC] token works wonders for certain processes that require multiple steps.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:59 pm »

if they're automatic then they don't affect gameplay, so you need another justification on why they exist.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »

No, if they're automatic you don't need to tell dwarves to go do them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3