Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.31  (Read 10547 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Synthetics - plastics industry mod v 0.31
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:37:57 am »

Download Link

Description
========
Synthetics industry v0.31, realistic (for DF) chemical precurors and plastics.

New Stuff
=======

0.31:

- Added "soil mod" as a separate mod, allows you to collect Loam (for building/bricks only) and Peat (for fuel), or define your own types of clay soils.
- Added milling of Rock Salt to salt powder (to be turned into Hydrochloric Acid by the Alchemist)
- Added a "salt bush" crop you can grow to allow salt powder without rock salt.

0.3 :

- Combined down a couple of linear chemistry steps to simplify things (glossed over methanol, vinyl chloride and acrylonitrile for now)
- Reduced to 3 custom workshops (under furnaces menu btw)
- Electrolysis and Catalyst chambers now produce all plastic as flakes which get fixed up at the Extrusion Chamber
- Reduced need to use empty barrels in reactions (by refilling same barrel that had the reagent in it)
- related tasks now always happen in the same workshop, allowing full automation of all plastic production (assuming you don't run out of beer to process)
- no longer need to build all workshops, can choose between expensive/slow Catalyst (PVC/Kevlar) and fast/cheap Eletrolysis (PolyPropylene, Acrylic, Carbon Fiber).
- Trimmed to 4 relevant skills - brewer, strand, alchemist, lye maker

0.2 :

- Added 5 custom workshops (not decorated yet), using 5 skills (Brewer, Lye Maker, Potash Maker, Alchemist, Strand Extractor).
- Modded production process so that output ratios are tweakable, and have been tweak down by a factor of about 5.
- Made PVC leather dyeable.
- Added Acrylic yarn for synthetic woolly jumpers.
- Made most chemicals now buyable at embark, including Kevlar bars, armour and crossbows. Dwarves now embark wearing acryllic, carbon fiber and kevlar fiber clothes.

- Basic Chemical Pathways
- Synthetic Logs, Leather, Thread, and bars
- polypropylene, PVC, acryllic, carbon fiber and kevlar production processes
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:55:59 am by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Current Reaction Notes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:38:52 am »

Out of date, will update

Quick Guide:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full Reaction List:

Links/Research:
Hair to Thread
Good links
Super Ammo
Making Vermin
Raw Hide
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:18:50 am by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In progress...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:19 am »

New Workshops / Skills and products

Electrolysis Chamber - Lye Maker, Polypropylene and Acrylics / carbon fiber

Catalyst Chamber - Alchemist, PVC and Kevlar

Extrusion Chamber - Strand Extractor, Finished plastics (logs, thread, yarn, leather)

Notes on Kevlar
==========
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:25:08 am by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Future Ideas
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:33:13 am »

I don't want to make the current system much more complex, but I might make a branch "DF Synthetics Advanced" for chemistry nuts :) Currently simplifiying (very slightly) number of steps to make it a manageable system.

Current ideas to implement

Biodiesel !!

Naphthalene pathways for more realistic PVC softening.

- sources for salt (and therefore HCl) - Rock Salt, Sea Water (if do-able), new farmable "Salt Bush" plant, occuring in Salt Water biomes.

- sources for Naphthalene including formosan termites (hive animal)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:35:24 am by Reelyanoob »

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Synthetics - plastics industry 20+ chemicals products
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »

This is beautiful

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »

You could add an inhaled syndrome to plastic! That would work.

Also, you should use the alchemy skill. It's a lot closer than brewing.

Alchemy discovered gunpowder and many other discoveries ^-^

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »

Hello,

have been experimenting with plastic (aka hobby). 

I am watching to see how far you are able to achieve the alcohol [aka ethanol] into plastic in DF; I do know does produces few plastics in RL.  I wondering how you would handle the catalyst.I am going to assume you plan this as already 'part of' reactions (aka invisible catalyst)?

I noted that there are process that converts plant oil into plastics. Unfortunately I do not know if this is same or different process compared to the petroleum [aka crude oil] into plastics.

If successful, can use presser skill for oil extraction, and add plant oil to plastic process. Same goes with Wax which turns into parrafin oil and plas-wax (not sure what brandname is that).

R

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

Excellent. I just might borrow this for my zombie mod.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »

alchemy discovered gunpowder and many other discoveries ^-^
Thx, though I have that covered in my personal notes

extrude thread = Strand extractor

Distillations = Brewer

Conversion / Major change = Alchemist

Produce Bars = Potash Maker

Liquid Mixing/Produce Acids etc = Lye Maker

Having just brewery active at the moment was to keep the prototype simple while I'm getting the basics coded.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:48:32 pm by Reelyanoob »

ouroboros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

This will be cool!

May I suggest looking at nitro cellulose, acetate cellulose and rayon for some interesting wood to plastic(like) materials?

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 01:35:34 am »

Posting to watch. Got a few sci-fi ideas if necromancy provides useful interactions. (IE: item->creature reaction)
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 01:52:58 am »

have been experimenting with plastic (aka hobby). 
I'll take personal experience over wikipedia any day.

I'm wondering now how to realistically get Methanol from DF ingredients, i've put Ethanol=>Methanol as a place holder for now, any info you might have would be valued.

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 02:52:40 am »

Hello,

well going back to my 2006 notes.  my involvement is on using the actual plastic material was with extrusion and vaccum forming.

when i started my hobby, I wanted to use plastic that is typically discarded or recycled locally. my first problem is figuring out what the mystery plastic is. I recently discovered a weblink (that does plastic test) that helps me identify the mystery plastic. Later with  a few sparse notes on plastic original formulatory that I came across and tested against the weblink-testing led me to realize that with knowing true original base, could at least figure out what the plastic is made from.

I have noted there is a common factor on my finding 'original' base material for thermoplastic (meltable and forming by heat). is always flammable.

My preferred plastic material is polyethylene (PE).

my problem stemmed on figuring out the base material; Unless  someone published a plastic equivilant formulatory from 'original' base, you would be finding analysis includes one or two monomers from DOW corning.  DOW corning is the one who discovered cheap way to distill-convert-extract sweet crude oil into about 85 percent of monomers used in our plastic productions.

however the properties of the plastic regardless of the crude oil based monomers, usually retains the the same original base properties that appears in the weblink plastic test identifications. 

for example, cellouse nitrate as interested earlier.. burns fast, smelling camphor (aka mothballs). gives guessimate that this base is some sort of alcholic [burns fast and does not float] based extraction from citronella oil (extracted from lemongrass) or camphor oil (extracted from cedar wood). so going by history of cellouse nitrate use, has to be cedar extraction.

PE gives off parrafin type smell and floats in water... so is sort of wax based process. I know from my search results; PE is based on ethylene which is derived from methane (methane is from cellouse fermentation-think brewing wood.) which burns clean. With Polypropyethylene Polypropylene (is from proprane which is 'chilled extraction' of natural gas ethanol), but gives acrid-disel odor, also floats which is wax based process.

Hey i am now going back in and see if there is new information on PE now ... my research was old... in 2006.

one thing of an note of my research does not involves thermoset class of plastics [beside the plastic test chart] because these materials are chemically made and requires additional chemicals to recycle the material.

R

edit:  :o  my notes is no good!!!!  updating above with new info. PE and PP in particular, PP is made from alcohol!! In another note that I found on PP, i went back to that orignal web site and foundit  is removed.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:18:40 am by rynait »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:05:19 am »

I'm wondering now how to realistically get Methanol from DF ingredients, i've put Ethanol=>Methanol as a place holder for now, any info you might have would be valued.

Making methanol from DF ingredients is easy actually. Methanol is a bi-product in the production of charcoal. You don't get a whole lot but hey this is DF, an entire log is used to produce 1 earring. So, using the same DF logic and taking from the historical creation of methanol (why do you think they call it wood alcohol?) just add a reaction to the wood furnace which creates a unit of methanol from wood.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 03:27:41 am »

Hello,

yes both methanol and methane is from cellouse fermentation (charcoal typically contains remants of unburnt cellouse, resulting in small amounts of high grade pure methanol, probably because the other hydrocarbons and contaminants in wood was 'baked-burned off').

take note; Methanol is liquid form, methane is gaseous form. 

I searched some more based on my being upset with bad information... and found in modern industry, methane is extracted from proprane which is 'chill extraction' of natural gas. so my notes had correct information but had convoluted connection to polymers.  sheesh.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:41:28 am by rynait »
Pages: [1] 2 3