Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water to toxic blood (rant!)  (Read 4379 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Water to toxic blood (rant!)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:22 am »

Looks like someone's been brushing up on their necromancy. ;)

Yeah, I figured out that something was up when they talked about being on 31.12 ...  Just for the record, this was the reason we invented Dwarven bathtubs.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14:20 am »

I'm having this problem too, it was claiming up to 20 dwarves a year.
Now whenever someone dies I dump EVERYTHING they were wearing or carrying into the incineration chute, and have an entire squad of sacrificial dwarves that do nothing but wear gear into the cleaning pits before it goes on a real soldier.Haven't lost a dwarf to the weirdness in about 3 years now.

On a side note, this particular forgotten beast's blood caused them to just start bleeding massively. No damage to skin or organs. Just a 10 Urist long streak of blood with a corpse at the end of it.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 10:57:51 am »

I still prefer dwarven showers to dwarven baths. Preferably ones that can flood the entire fort.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 04:08:44 pm »

This gives me an idea for my next fortress. Embark on a site with at least two aquifer layers. Put my barracks on the top aquifer layer and alternate natural pillars and floor gratings. Water flows in from the pillars, cleans the dwarves and carries all the gunk down to the bottom layer before being drained again there. Besides my soldiers automatically getting a shower after each battle, I simply love the idea of my army training in permanent cascades. If I also force all the titans and forgotten beasts to fight my army here, I probably won't have to worry about syndromes in the first place.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »

I have never noticed this (dried blood on the shoe) in the inventory of an individual dwarf.
I think various covering are not shown in the inventory in Fortress mode (to avoid cluttered interface).
Inventory of a creature is not the same thing as the inventory of a item. The item will contain the coatings specific to it. Whereas the creature inventory displays the coatings that are directly on the skin.

This makes more sense as to how things are transferred in an emergent fashion for a disaster. Example, blood on someones boot -> puddle -> feet of other people. Say that blood kills people but didn't kill the guy with the boot as he was acting as a distribution carrier -> fortress crumbles.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:05 pm »

However, blood just tracks forever and instead of being diluted it actually just gets bigger. Water, instead of instantly diluting it, seems to massively multiply it and spread it all over the place.
Dwarf Fortress.  Now with homeopathy. 

What have we done?!
Pages: 1 [2]