Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i'm stumped. why can't i make animal traps?  (Read 1568 times)

pauli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i'm stumped. why can't i make animal traps?
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:42:00 am »

my carpenter won't try. my metalsmith won't try. my trapper will try, but gives up. i just can't get any of my shops to actually produce an animal trap of any sort, nor can i find instructions to explain what i'm doing wrong. what's going on? what materials are required?

oh, bonus question: why do silk bags not qualify as bags for the purpose of collecting sand?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i'm stumped. why can't i make animal traps?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:15:00 am »

I think it takes Trapper preference, even though it's in a Carpenter Workshop.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 10:41:00 am »

quote:
my trapper will try, but gives up.

I think this is the key - your trapper is trying to do carpenting and/or metalsmithing, but he's really bad at it. So it's taking him forever, and he's getting hungry/thirsty/tired before he finishes.

Try giving your carpenter and/or metalsmith the trapper job, they should be able to make them just fine.

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:41:00 am »

I think you also need bolts for animal traps.  I know mine wouldn't produce until I made bolts.  I never got an "unable to produce" warning without bolts, so maybe it was a coincidence.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arcanum:
<STRONG>I think you also need bolts for animal traps.  I know mine wouldn't produce until I made bolts.  I never got an "unable to produce" warning without bolts, so maybe it was a coincidence.</STRONG>

I didn't notice that. Probably just a coincidence. Traps need bait (meat, fish or small gems), but don't kill the creature.

Janne )`*

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »

just logs, in my case my trapper wasn't producing anything because I had set up a Profile in the workshop...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:41:05 am »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »

Jegus, Kaos, seriously? A four year, nine month necro?
くコ:彡

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:59 pm »

It's just a bumped thread, bros. People google shit and get confused. Bound to happen.

EDIT: Oh look, I just did it again. How did I get to a days old thread? I must be confused too. Bound to happen. :b

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:51 am »

It's just a bumped thread, bros. People google shit and get confused. Bound to happen.

EDIT: Oh look, I just did it again. How did I get to a days old thread? I must be confused too. Bound to happen. :b
Seconded  :P  I just googled for my problem, found this thread, got something to add, didn't even notice the date, if someone has the same question by getting here will get the answer, no matter how old the thread is, it'd be even worse to make a new thread just to confirm that animal traps only require 1 log to make and nothing else, I rather necro this one...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:52:58 pm »

2006?  Was that still the 2D version back then?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.