Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage disposal  (Read 1255 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
Garbage disposal
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:04:13 am »

Now I know you're thinking "USE MAGMA", but i have a different type of garbage on my hands.

How do i dispose of goblins? If you set a pit zone, they take them out of the cage, and became scared of them. You can't trade them. All I've figured out how to do is construct the cage they're in.

So how can I throw a goblin into a pit, drown them, or sick the military on them if they instantly scare the bajeebuz out of anyone who gets the job?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage disposal
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:05:44 am »

Goblins?

Use magma.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:03 am »

Construct the cage somewhere reasonably secure.

If you just want it killed, have your military on standby and send a civvy to release the goblin. Civvy flees from the goblin - squaddies move in for the kill.

If you want to keep the goblin in a pit, or for a more elaborate death, attach the cage to a lever and pull the lever. The cage will then deconstruct, freeing the goblin.

One thing I was wondering about though, is how you assign goblins to a restraint. I've seen it referenced, but can't see how it would work without the goblin escaping.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:19:11 am »

You can both restrain and pit "soldier" goblins without them breaking free. Thieves and wild animals will fight and often get away, though. For an arena-style goblin disposal, just have one tile channeled out over the arena roof, cover it with a hatch, and have the dwarves toss the prisoners down through that into the waiting militia. The hatch (almost always) prevents the haulers from getting frightened once they release the gobbo.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:21 am »

An animal stockpile and hatches. Places hatches so that every tile of the stockpile is adjacent to a hatch-covered hole. Filter stockpile so only goblins are brought there. Now you can toss them down without getting frightened.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:24:30 am »

Dump the cage in the location you want it. Unforbid it and build it with [j]. Get three mechanisms made, make a lever, and attach the lever to the cage through the same means you would any other structure, like a bridge. Pull the lever, and your creature is released from the cage. I would suggest either training for your dwarves or a magma chute.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:30 am »

Thanks for the ideas. I understand a lot more now :D

I wouldn't mind tying an elite goblin up in the archery room for practice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:18:59 am »

Only thieves escape, as previously noted.  This means babysnatchers and thieves.  Soldier types cannot escape, and will be dragged anywhere.  Once pitted, your dwarves will become afraid, unless you take some measures.  You CAN pit an enemy through a non-lever'd hatch, and the hatch will block sight and prevent more civilians from being scared.  For thieves, I usually order my military to station in the animal stockpile, then order the thieves pitted.  A civilian goes, grabs a goblin, cancels job, military kills goblin in the stockpile, life resumes.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »

Oh okay. I must have only ever tried it on thieves.

I think I once tried it on a gorilla, and it did the same thing :/

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »

Some enemies escape, some don't. Goblin siegers don't escape, that's for certain. Anyway, I use a simple goblin smelter next to my magma smelters. It consists of two pumps, one being 1-z level about the other, pumping magma into a 1x1 space where goblins are released with a linked cage. I pump the magma out once only metals remain and melt their crap down.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:41:59 am »

Thanks for the ideas. I understand a lot more now :D

I wouldn't mind tying an elite goblin up in the archery room for practice.
Make sure you don't remove his armour, and use training bolts. He'll end up sore but survive long enough to give your archers plenty of training. If they can't get more ammo they'll probably level up their bashing skill nicely too.