Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 20 dwarves spontaneously combusting when I turn temperature on  (Read 7102 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 20 dwarves spontaneously combusting when I turn temperature on
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:56 am »

I seem to recall that in 40d temperature recalculations due to an item interacting with water happened only when the creature entered water. In other words, having a dwarf that is likely to combust sitting in water when temperature is turned on is ineffective, but having them enter water immediately afterwards would cool them off and save their lives.

If my recollections on this matter are correct, the way to solve this problem you're having would be to station the dwarves on a removable platform made from a bridge over water, have a dwarf pull the lever attached to the bridge, pause, save, and quit between the time the lever is pulled and the bridge retracts, and then turn on temperature and reload. The bridge will, hopefully, retract and drop the now-flaming dwarves into the water quickly enough that they won't take too much damage before the flames are doused.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 05:41:22 am »

I seem to recall that in 40d temperature recalculations due to an item interacting with water happened only when the creature entered water. In other words, having a dwarf that is likely to combust sitting in water when temperature is turned on is ineffective, but having them enter water immediately afterwards would cool them off and save their lives.

If my recollections on this matter are correct, the way to solve this problem you're having would be to station the dwarves on a removable platform made from a bridge over water, have a dwarf pull the lever attached to the bridge, pause, save, and quit between the time the lever is pulled and the bridge retracts, and then turn on temperature and reload. The bridge will, hopefully, retract and drop the now-flaming dwarves into the water quickly enough that they won't take too much damage before the flames are doused.
I've tested this, and while it only saved 2 or 3 dwarves out of 20, it still provided me with valuable science.

I've built a rectracting bridge over a 11x11 reservoir filled with 3/7 water, surrounded by walls to keep the !!dwarves!! from escaping. Upon throwing the switch I saved and disabled FIXED_TEMP for dwarves. After a hundred steps or so they plummeted to their salvation (Pretty sure this is the first time somebody said that on DF forums), but 18/20 of them died of blood loss, likely due to grievous damage inflicted by obscene clownflame temperatures. However, the test was a success:
Temperature won't be recalculated if they are already in water after you enable temp., they must enter it after temp. is enabled.

I then gave them FIXED_TEMP back, reloaded, waited for the bridge to rectract, and saved with them in the air directly above the water, disabled FIXED_TEMP, and reloaded. 3 survived this time, the other 17 died of blood loss. Whether this means water is ineffective at saving most heat-trapped dwarves, or if I just chanced upon a particularly hot clown, remains to be determined.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:32:10 am »

You could always try and encase them in ice........
This will solve the problem.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:00 am »

You should build a bridge, station them all onto it, then pull a lever to raise it just as a goblin siege arrives. >:D

Station them all until the next goblin attack.  When they are all in melee, save the game, turn temp back on, load and restart the game.  Watch everything burst into flame.  Then collect refuse.  Bonus points for playing the Benny Hill theme while they are running around on fire.

I'm curious, if they are on fire and you save and turn TEMP back off, will they a) still be on fire when the game is reloaded and b) will they receive any damage from the fire?

It'd be awesome if you could have a squad of permanently-on-fire military dorfs.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 06:57:01 am »

You should build a bridge, station them all onto it, then pull a lever to raise it just as a goblin siege arrives. >:D

Station them all until the next goblin attack.  When they are all in melee, save the game, turn temp back on, load and restart the game.  Watch everything burst into flame.  Then collect refuse.  Bonus points for playing the Benny Hill theme while they are running around on fire.

I'm curious, if they are on fire and you save and turn TEMP back off, will they a) still be on fire when the game is reloaded and b) will they receive any damage from the fire?

It'd be awesome if you could have a squad of permanently-on-fire military dorfs.

That is doable, I think, with messing with ignition, damage and boiling points of materials in the dwarf raw.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 07:43:02 am »

Or you could just tag them with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
turn temp back on then toss them into water to cool them off. Once you think they've cooled of just return them to normal.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]