Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Succession of brats  (Read 4458 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession of brats
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:40:10 pm »

My fortress is now overrun by brats, who on the age of 12 and in spring immediately succeed to mayor.
A new brat comes of age, promotes to mayor.
Give 2 years later, a new brat comes of age, ANOTHER mayor:D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Succession of brats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:43:52 pm »

This is because the mayor is elected based on social skills and number of friends.  While your dwarves work, the kids sit in the meeting hall and chat.  Solution: Tigermen.  They [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] thus they can make friends and develop social skills.  Get one, keep it alive, and it'll become a mayor that makes no mandates, desires no room, and is generally awesome around the fort.

In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »

Dude. I'm 12! :v

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:46:03 pm »

This is because the mayor is elected based on social skills and number of friends.  While your dwarves work, the kids sit in the meeting hall and chat.  Solution: Tigermen.  They [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] thus they can make friends and develop social skills.  Get one, keep it alive, and it'll become a mayor that makes no mandates, desires no room, and is generally awesome around the fort.

In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.
Did the taming of the minotaur require you to make any changes to the dwarven ethics?

I was under the impression that dwarves refused to tame creatures with [CAN_LEARN] on account of it being slavery?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »

Apparently no.  It's just that all of the CAN_SPEAK/LEARN animals happen to be exotics in vanilla.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »

...wait, so if you put slavery to "acceptable", can you tame goblins?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:50:07 pm »

Apparently no.  It's just that all of the CAN_SPEAK/LEARN animals happen to be exotics in vanilla.
I wonder why I can't tame Trolls once I give them [PET][PETVALUE:200] and [TRAINABLE_WAR] then?
...wait, so if you put slavery to "acceptable", can you tame goblins?
Hypothetically. You'd also have to give them the various pet tokens.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »

No.  Well maybe.  I never modded my slavery ethics (only butchering for me) but I had tried to tame elves.  I made them [PET] and this yielded no results, perhaps due to slavery ethics.  I did, however, have one hilarious incident of an elven prisoner giving birth, and the child was friendly, but everyone was scared of it as if it were a hostile.  I WAS able to tame this child, and the tame elf child acted like a wild creature, wandering semi-aimlessly and causing job cancels.  It was very strange.

G D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:28:45 am »

!!Sciense!!
To bring elves on embark and butcher them we need:
1) [PET] for elves.  [COMMON_DOMESTIC] - to actually have them in embark list. [TRAINABLE] - to train them etc.
And
2)[ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE] for dwarfs.

Dwarfs will happily butcher elves, but then realise that "please nooo!!" surely mean that elfs are sentient and refuse to eat them.
and    [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE] [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE] will not help here.

So to create this nice -elf leather cloak- and *elf meat roast* we need to remove [CAN_SPEAK] from elves. And even [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]  [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:UNTHINKABLE] will not stop them.

Hmm should it be considered bug about some useless ethics in fortress mode?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 01:38:29 am »

not to burst your bubble, but you do not need to change dwarven ethics to do any of this.

If they're PETs it is by definition, not Slavery.

You've redefined the creatures, so they no longer fall under the "sentient" catergory. It's not a bug because you've redefined them as an animal.

You can even butcher AND COOK/EAT dwarven castes without changing ethics (just remove the INTELLIGENT tag).

Just make a dwarf caste with PET COMMON_DOMESTIC, remove INTELLIGENT, and you'll be making dwarf burgers for dinner. They will eat them and everything, even though it is the same race.

Yes, I admit it, I modded in slave-eating cannibal dwarves. Or more precisely dwarven "snack packs" that the normal dwarves (or each other) had no trouble eating etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:52:20 am by Reelyanoob »

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 03:02:19 am »

If I changed all of a race's ethics to [ACCEPTABLE] and gave them the [EVIL] tag, would that allow that race to have [CAN_SPEAK] and still always be hostile like the goblins are? I play with modded in races and I'm getting tired of everyone not having a name and instead being "Frog Man Maceman"

EDIT: Nevermind...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:28:15 am by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:39 am »

I hope you will allow me to sig this.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 08:02:06 am »

I did, however, have one hilarious incident of an elven prisoner giving birth, and the child was friendly, but everyone was scared of it as if it were a hostile.  I WAS able to tame this child, and the tame elf child acted like a wild creature, wandering semi-aimlessly and causing job cancels.
Congratulations...you now have an Elven Denis the Menace running around...Mr. Wilson McOldmanrage will need to be notified.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:31 am »

You have a lot of children in your fortress?

Perfect, send them to the !!SCIENCE!! labs.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 09:14:48 am »

not to burst your bubble, but you do not need to change dwarven ethics to do any of this.

If they're PETs it is by definition, not Slavery.

You've redefined the creatures, so they no longer fall under the "sentient" catergory. It's not a bug because you've redefined them as an animal.

You can even butcher AND COOK/EAT dwarven castes without changing ethics (just remove the INTELLIGENT tag).

Just make a dwarf caste with PET COMMON_DOMESTIC, remove INTELLIGENT, and you'll be making dwarf burgers for dinner. They will eat them and everything, even though it is the same race.

Yes, I admit it, I modded in slave-eating cannibal dwarves. Or more precisely dwarven "snack packs" that the normal dwarves (or each other) had no trouble eating etc.
Then what does the Slavery ethic do, outside of worldgen?
Is this how goblins are able to make use of trolls?
Pages: [1] 2