Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 123823 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Metal... GEAR?
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:36:14 am »

There's quite a few people who would like to discuss the Metal Gear franchise, and there's a whole lot in the franchise to discuss.  So let's have a Metal Gear Everything Thread, wherein we will talk about everything Metal Gear.

So, what is Metal Gear you ask?  The answer is that this is a terrible thread for you, because we're gonna drop spoilers like there's no tomorrow, and the spoilers are one of the main things that makes the games worth playing.  The other is the (usually) top notch stealthy-combat action, one of the series that defined the idea (although that was mainly MGS1).  Anyway, it's great stuff, of which we'll recommend playing about two or three out of eight distinct titles.  I'm also not the grand high Metal Gear guru by any means, but whatever.

I had planned to make similarly snarky dossiers for the major characters and recurring themes and elements of the series, but that's more than enough for now, and the rest will appear of its own accord.  This is the intro after all.  If you want to know more than you really wanted to about all the events and characters, you can go to The Metal Gear Wiki, which is loaded with unmarked spoilers like this thread will be.  If you want the story-telling experience (and experience is the word), there's plenty of Let's Play videos of most of the series - by far my best recommendation is Chip and Ironicus, because the guy playing knows the entire series inside and out so he doesn't miss anything, while his co-host is seeing every game for the first time.  They also LP'ed Metal Gear 2, buried in the MGS3 videos.

[snake]...Videos?[/snake]
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:43 am »

Yooo, posting to splatter.

Have you played the Metal Gear not-so-Solid games?  I'm considering them, but... not so sure.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:57:29 am »

Metal Gear!?

Love the Metal Gear Solid games. Haven't gotten around to playing 4, I'm saving it for when I have enough long chunks of time to properly take it on. If the cutscenes are really longer than before...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:54 am »

Have you played the Metal Gear not-so-Solid games?  I'm considering them, but... not so sure.

They're a lot of fun if you can handle B-movie style NES games. Honestly enjoyed them more than the Metal Gear Solid series, but I'm part of a small minority in that regard.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:12:51 am »

I started playing Guns of the Patriots early one morning after staying up all night playing Starcraft.  I played until that evening, slept three hours, woke, continued playing for another eight hours, slept two or three, woke, played...  When I finished, I was floored.  It was one of the finest times I ever spent while playing games and now it is what I imagine heroine feels like.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:13:53 am »

They're a lot of fun if you can handle B-movie style NES games. Honestly enjoyed them more than the Metal Gear Solid series, but I'm part of a small minority in that regard.

Hmm... okay.  How'd you find them, if you don't mind telling me?

If it'd be impossible to do it here, I'd appreciate a PM :3  Being able to play those two would effectively double my accessible Metal Gear Awesomeness.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:56 am »

Hmm... okay.  How'd you find them, if you don't mind telling me?

If it'd be impossible to do it here, I'd appreciate a PM :3  Being able to play those two would effectively double my accessible Metal Gear Awesomeness.

I got the cartridges for Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge when they came out (nostalgia glasses likely contribute to my like of the early games). Played Metal Gear 2 on a Japanese exchange student's Famicon MSX2 in the mid-90's. Sorry that isn't much help :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:31:28 am by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:27:18 am »

I got the cartridges for Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge when they came out (nostalgia glasses likely contribute to my like of the early games). Played Metal Gear 2 on a Japanese exchange student's Famicon in the mid-90's. Sorry that isn't much help :P

Hurm... well, I've got ideas, anyway.  The first one is for MSX, right, and the second one for SNES?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:31:01 am »

I got the cartridges for Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge when they came out (nostalgia glasses likely contribute to my like of the early games). Played Metal Gear 2 on a Japanese exchange student's Famicon in the mid-90's. Sorry that isn't much help :P

Hurm... well, I've got ideas, anyway.  The first one is for MSX, right, and the second one for SNES?

Err my bad, I didn't play Metal Gear 2 on his Famicon, I played it on his MSX2. Damn memory.

As for Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge, I had the NES versions of both.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:45 am »

As for Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge, I had the NES versions of both.

Snake's Revenge was a shitty non-sequel made by an American company.  The actual Metal Gear two was never released outside of Japan until the MGS3: Subsistence cut.  Like I said in the OP, Chip and Ironicus have an LP video.  Other than that, if you want to play it, you'll have to either get a copy of Subsistence, or what people did before then - an MSX emulator and a bootleg English translation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:06:52 am »

Found the first one; the second shouldn't be too tough to get.

:D :D :D

I hate to say this, but I enjoy the camerawork on the later games a hell of a lot more than I wish I did.  Better'd go play MG1 and 2 soon, though, because I'm pretty bloody confused about the plot of MGS.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:51 am »

Hang on a minute.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:13:16 am »

Hang on a minute.

Well, you know, continuity...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 03:23:50 am »

Hang on a minute.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 03:35:13 am »

I can't believe this.  I actually can't buttonspam enough to survive Ocelot.

Gosh darnit.  Time for a new plan...

EDIT: Never mind, got a pencil so I only had to tense up my forearm, instead of needing to focus energy on finger.  So much easier  ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:37:55 am by Vector »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124