Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 123934 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:50 am »

Hey, real men fight Mantis with controller 1.
I know. That was for non-real men.
Spoiler: But wait... (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:41 am »

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 11:02:44 am »

Oh. BTW Peace Walker is good. Real Good. Atleast in my opinion. Especially the Monster Hunter Side Mission's and watching Big Boss build up what would soon to be the forefather of
and hanging out with
Raggle Fraggle

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 11:15:01 am »

There seems to be some severe discontinuity between Metal Gear and the Solid series. According to the original, Metal Gear was built by Dr. Ivan Pettrovich, although according to MGS3, Granin designed the bipedal mobility system that characterizes Metal Gear(excluding Arsenal Gear, which doesn't really count), who then sent the design to Hal's dad.

Then again, never having played Peace Walker, I don't know what that particular Metal Gear is capable of. It's possible that Pettrovich only designed the long-range nuclear launcher(NOT the railgun from MGS) that allows Metal Gear to fire a nuke from anywhere to anywhere.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 11:16:46 am »

And believe me, you need auto/turbo-fire to win it on Extreme.
Extreme? You need it on Normal, I don't even want to think about Extreme. Extreme has proven to be one of the most frustrating difficulty levels I've ever experianced in a game without feeling cheap. I remember trying to play MGS2 on Extreme, and I've been stuck on

According to the original, Metal Gear was built by Dr. Ivan Pettrovich, although according to MGS3, Granin designed the bipedal mobility system that characterizes Metal Gear(excluding Arsenal Gear, which doesn't really count), who then sent the design to Hal's dad.
I feel compeled to mention that Granin's voice actor was really drunk out of his mind when they recorded his scene. For realism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 11:17:55 am »

I'm still stuck on that platform where the seagulls crap all over the place.

Yeah, right at the beginning :/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 11:20:45 am »

I remember trying to play MGS2 on Extreme, and I've been stuck on
Spoiler: Actually... (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 11:26:24 am »

I remember trying to play MGS2 on Extreme, and I've been stuck on
Spoiler: Actually... (click to show/hide)
Ah. I have a tendency to forget things when I'm remembering hour after hour of progress-less hate-rage-kill.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 12:12:57 pm »

Portable Ops is apparently no longer part of the continuity/canon in favour of Peace Walker, since it wasn't a Kojima written game.

Peace Walker is a pretty good game, I actually started a topic about it on these forums somewhere. It's gameplay is probably most directly related to Portable Ops, but since I haven't played that, I find it plays like Monster Hunter with guns and stealth mechanics. It also can be really bloody hard in some parts for no good reason, but that is probably more indicative of control problems (Your thumbs are not designed for the level of control the game requires sometimes) rather than gameplay problems.

It's also not as 'funny' as any of the other Metal Gear Solid games. There are codec calls, and there are some funny moments, but the game is played really, really straight. It's perhaps played too straight some times during the story, but side/secret missions make up for it somewhat. (And then it gets into creepy/weird territory)

There's a demo of Peace Walker that you can download to your PSP, it's probably worth a shot (if you have a PSP and enjoy Metal Gear games)

Spoiler: Peace Walker synopsis (click to show/hide)

Large spoilers below!

Spoiler: Very large spoilers (click to show/hide)

I can't believe this.  I actually can't buttonspam enough to survive Ocelot.

I had a similar problem in Peace Walker for... oh, 6 months. You'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure!
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

I played a bit of MGS3 at a friend's house back when it was new, but never really got past the awkward controls. Some time later, I ran across the Chip and Ironicus LP of MGS3 and watched it through out of curiosity. Then I watched the other games up to about halfway through 4 (where C&I were at the time). Then I realized that purely by accident I had just gone through the MGS cannon in order and actually felt that I understood and liked it.

A $15 used copy later, I've done 4 play throughs of MGS4, just finished my assassin emblem run and I'm having a blast. Turns out Assassin is pretty easy if you just grab the same friendly rebel/militiaman 50 times and then approach it as a no-kill run where you run up and stab people after they're knocked out. Good times.
... and then it explodes!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »

Extreme? You need it on Normal, I don't even want to think about Extreme. Extreme has proven to be one of the most frustrating difficulty levels I've ever experianced in a game without feeling cheap.

Oh, huh.  I'm playing on Normal with nothing but the force of my button-tappin' forearms (and a little save-scumming, but mostly that's just an effort to avoid talking to Mei Ling.  I like her, but it takes quite a bit of time I don't really want to use).  Well, that and a hell of a lot of flashbangs + CQC.

Now I'm workin' on killan' Sniper Wolf the second time... *sigh*  Poor Otacon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 01:30:03 pm »

I'm still stuck on that platform where the seagulls crap all over the place.

Yeah, right at the beginning :/

It says a lot about a game when one of your most treasured memories is slipping on seagull crap and falling to your death.

Joking aside (SO MANY JOKES) MGS2 got a lot of hate, but damn if I didn't love it. Raiden turned out to be quite the bad-ass in MGS4, too (Despite being crippled for more than half the game)

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »

I'm curious about how they are going to fill out his (Angst-Tastic) Story of becoming a Bad-Ass in Metal Gear : Rising.
Raggle Fraggle

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »

I dunno, but it's not gonna be Kojima so I'll probably largely ignore it =/

Kojiimaaaaaaa~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »

Even with the cyber ninja gear and sweet voice Raiden is still a pathetic ponce with girlfriend issues and seems to be stuck facing Vamp, the most uncomfortable MGS villain besides the Beauties.

And wait, doesn't the Peace Walker story kinda contradict the later events of MGS4? I think Big Momma just doesn't know what the hell she's talking about, which fits pretty well from her terrible cover story in MGS3.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 124